Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
300k views on my staff sling video (Read 1124 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
300k views on my staff sling video
Nov 5th, 2021 at 5:15am

The YouTube algorithm likes me! My 'How to make and use the staff sling (fustibalus)' video really took off at the start of October and has just gone past 300,000 views.

One thing I am getting from the comments is that a lot of people are convinced that David used a staff sling to defeat Goliath. This comes from Samuel 1:40 'Then he took his staff in his hand, chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in the pouch of his shepherd's bag and, with his sling in his hand, approached the Philistine.' and also Samuel 1:43 'He said to David, "Am I a dog, that you come at me with sticks?" And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.'

I dont believe this is the case because of the total absence of evidence for the staff sling anywhere in the world until Vegetius in the 4th century AD. I might do a video about this.

I have also got some comments from Dragonlance fans saying "Hoopak!" so I will definitely dust off mine and make a video about that.

My 'How to sling like a Balearic slinger' video has slowed down at 250,000 views and my cestrosphendone one is way back at 40,000.

There is plenty of interest out there so if you want to put up a video, I'd say go for it!

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Re: 300k views on my staff sling video
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2021 at 2:08pm

WOW; Great!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2021 at 8:37pm

That's awesome David!  I really like the idea of a video on the possibility (or lack thereof) of a staff sling being used against Goliath.  You can put me down as a vote for that one.

My biggest video to date is the first big stone impact video I did.  It passed the 300 view mark.  Which is huge for my channel.  Cheesy

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2021 at 2:05am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Nov 5th, 2021 at 8:37pm:
Which is huge for my channel. 

I feel you, man! Given the effort you put in, you deserve more exposure!

@DM That is excellent, +1 to Joe's vote on a video.

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2021 at 2:09am

Slinging is definitely growing, I got over 4000 views on my trickshot compilation on instagram.
Great work to everyone involved in promoting slinging.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2021 at 5:55am

Ive noticed slinging is getting a big surge over the last year or so. Well done everyone.  Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2021 at 11:21am

I think a lot of the interest is being generated by slingers in the game, Total War. I think if you are going to make a video, just throw that in the title and/or description and you'll likely get more views. The YouTube algorithm seems to be driving traffic because of interest in that.

John R.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2021 at 11:34am

well the thing about the 'bible' is simply that there is NO 'the bible'
For a thousand years different monks wrote it entirely by hand, some may have come from hebrew ranslations. But most would have been hebrew to latin and it all depends on both the person doing the translation and the person doing the transscription.

In short - there is no such thing as 'The Word', simply different interpretations of 'The Word'.

In every single religion, first comes the word.
Then comes the 'interpretation' of the word.

basically what's written in a modern 'bible' - had very littkle in common with whatever the original text said.

And I'd still like to know what google pays for that number of video views.
It's just not informatuion you can reliably find out - particularly not from google Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2021 at 11:02pm

He took his staff AND he took his sling, not "he took his staff sling"

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2021 at 4:32am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Nov 9th, 2021 at 11:34am:
It's just not informatuion you can reliably find out - particularly not from google Smiley

I dont know either, I demonetised my channel ages ago to avoid them putting ads in front of the little clips I was putting up back then, but now that I have picked up over 2 million views in the last year I am slightly regretting that!  Grin

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2021 at 5:07am

Alex.that's easy to check.  one compares the oldest Bible texts and compares them with today's.  and Zack.  oh wonder they are almost identical.  what a coincidence.  there are numerous historical pictures of David with a staff and sling.  and even with fustibal.  is that significant?  no.  That's not it.  did David really exist?  a much more interesting question.  some say yes of course.  the others tend to say no.  the story is a metaphor.  historically, Goliath was pretty stupid.  because there were slingers in his army too.  with or without a stick.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2021 at 7:32am

For a thousand years different monks wrote it entirely by hand, some may have come from hebrew ranslations. But most would have been hebrew to latin and it all depends on both the person doing the translation and the person doing the transscription.

In short - there is no such thing as 'The Word', simply different interpretations of 'The Word'.

basically what's written in a modern 'bible' - had very littkle in common with whatever the original text said.

What happened to the policy against inciting controversial religious discussion Alex?  Oh… I guess your policies only apply  to other people?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Nov 10th, 2021 at 2:33pm

Jaegoor wrote on Nov 10th, 2021 at 5:07am:
Alex.that's easy to check.  one compares the oldest Bible texts and compares them with today's.  and Zack.  oh wonder they are almost identical.  what a coincidence.  there are numerous historical pictures of David with a staff and sling.  and even with fustibal.  is that significant?  no.  That's not it.  did David really exist?  a much more interesting question.  some say yes of course.  the others tend to say no.  the story is a metaphor.  historically, Goliath was pretty stupid.  because there were slingers in his army too.  with or without a stick.

That is what Ive always wondered about. How could anyone look at a trained slinger and think it wasnt a dangerous weapon.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2021 at 7:29am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Nov 10th, 2021 at 7:32am:

What happened to the policy against inciting controversial religious discussion Alex?  Oh… I guess your policies only apply  to other people?

Stating a fact is not having an argument.
I think I can leave starting the argument to you, it's all you seem to do these days.

Without the David and Goliath story, there would be no current slinging in the western world.

It's a discussion of whether an event happened and how it happened, nobody's beliefs have been questioned.

How many threads are you going to try and disrupt with these personal attacks ?

If you're interested there has been a civilised, non personal, non contentious discussion going on since 2006 :https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152877286

And yes over the years, the occasional angry post by someone like you has been edited out.
But on the whole it's run fairly smoothly.
And people have approached the subject in a respectful manner.

As has been mentioned ad nauseum, forum policy has always been the same.
The fact that you refuse to accept it, does not change reality.

If a discussion is conducted in a respectful and civilised manner, no problem.
But when people get personal, and emotional (and you keep proving my point here) then something will be done.
We will always endeavour to keep a discussion open as long as Is sensible.
But sometimes, people make that impossible, as you insist on trying to do.

I really am running out of ways to say the same thing.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #14 - Nov 14th, 2021 at 8:42am

Wow, Alex. Just… wow. Just let it go, man. You’re not the benevolent hero of the forum, and you aren’t improving anything by putting yourself on that pedestal. All I am asking for is a single set of understandable rules for everyone here to follow… including you.  You have made it crystal clear that “policy” is whatever you want it to be in the moment.  Let’s summarize:
American politics is off limits no matter what, but controversial religious statements are ok as long you are the one who started it?   Everyone can discuss a controversial topic respectfully like adults… unless it’s a topic you don’t like, and then you’ll just delete a bunch of threads and post a reminder of the undocumented “policy” that nobody can read. That’s not a policy. That’s the arbitrary whims of Curious Aardvark.   

If you really want a policy, write it down and post it where everyone can see the rules… then follow your own rules.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick)