Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How many countries have you been to ? (Read 1283 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
How many countries have you been to ?
Nov 3rd, 2021 at 5:29pm

I was adding up the countries I'd been to, and just wondered how much travelling you guys had done.

I would think some of you ex servicemen might have me beat by a decent margin.

A short stopover in an airport doesn't count, you need to have spent at least 48 hours in a country to add it to the list.

So I think I'm up to 15:

England
Scotland
Wales
Germany
The Netherlands
Belgium
Austria
Italy
Spain/Balearic Islands
China
America
Canada
Denmark
Luxembourg
Isle of man - it has its own language and parliament, so definitely a country.

My parents have me well beat.
They've been to a lot more tropical countries than me. I've never been into hot and humid.
The only places I've been to that they haven't are china and Ibiza.

So as well as where I've listed, Together they've both been to: the Maldives, Singapore, Mauritius, Thailand, Australia, Morocco,
New Zealand, Cyprus, Egypt, Greece, Turkey, Dubai,  and Iceland.

My dad also went to aden, Perrin island (yeah, me neither) ascension island, Libya and the Falklands when he was in the army.

Not sure about my sister.
But she's been to Jamaica and most of the same bits of europe I've been to, quite probably france, lives in Canada and has been to various us states.
And she once got drunk on a 2 day stopover in Newfoundland with the Montreal canadiens ice hockey team Smiley

Never really thought about it before, but as a family we really get about Smiley

So where have you been ?

We can also throw in a separate category of American states and Canadian provinces.
For which I will accept 'driven through'.

So states wise I've got:
California, Wyoming, Nevada, Montana, Colorado, Illinois, and a day trip to buffalo in New York state. That was kind of an interesting one.

Canada-wise, just Ontario.

While they've just been to Florida in the states, my parents have visited most of the Canadian provinces.

I think, that given most states and provinces are larger than many countries, they've got to count Smiley

So where in the world have you been ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: How many countries have you been to ?
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2021 at 6:04pm

Quite an impressive list, c_a.  I've been to both North and South Korea, Japan, Canada, and all over the good old U.S.A. including Alaska.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2021 at 7:32pm

Other than the US, I've been to two.  Did a study abroad in Spain.  We were in Valladolid for 6 weeks.  During that trip a group of us went up to Ireland for a 4 day weekend.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2021 at 3:06am

A few European countries. Normal, I'm French.
In Russia, the Russians are open and welcoming people.
In Israel, the Dome of the Rock on the esplanade of Mosques is superb.
In North Ireland during and after the civil war, I learned a lot about myself and people.
Light and landscapes in Norway are the most beautiful I've ever seen.
Rat Man wrote on Nov 3rd, 2021 at 6:04pm:
I've been to both North and South Korea

I know a man who has worked in North Korea 30 or 40 years ago. What he says is unreal.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2021 at 8:45am

Russia and North Korea, pretty impressive !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2021 at 9:20am

Curious Aardwark, China is also pretty impressive.
Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2021 at 10:01am

Can we call states countries? The difference between Manhattan and rural Wisconsin must be as big as many English speaking countries. No? Fine.

Panama
Venezuela
The Caribbean Islands

Wink

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2021 at 11:24am

England (obviously)
Wales
Scotland
Ireland (as a kid, can barely remember it and definitely want to go back)
Finland (obviously)
Sweden
Estonia
France
Spain (and Balearic Islands and Tenerife)
Germany

I need to bump my numbers up. There are a lot of places I really want to visit. One I might be adding is Norway next year with a friend. Quick and easy to get to Oslo from Helsinki. Iceland is another one. Russia would be really interesting and Mongolia and Tibet going further afield. Like C_A, hot and humid are not for me (I mean I moved to Finland so...), but I may have promised Channing that I would visit Louisiana at some point. If not Louisiana, then somewhere in the US. I really should get over to Texas and meet my cohost Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2021 at 10:49am

Only been in the US. Lived in Nebraska, NYC, Atlanta GA, and Wisconsin. Visited Colorado and Arizona (Grand Canyon is amazing), Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, Kansas, South Dakota, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, North and South Carolina.

So I've bounced around the country pretty well but haven't gone across international borders yet. Want to visit Switzerland and Japan someday but not for the foreseeable future.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #9 - Nov 6th, 2021 at 1:40pm

USA
Canada
UK
Vietnam

Many others that I'd love to add to the list.

John R.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Nov 14th, 2021 at 3:21pm

You sort of can argue that American states are extremely country like.
Most are the size of many countries - I think they're all probably larger than england
They have their own laws and traditions and even languages.

California has more Spanish speakers than English these days, you've got Cajun french in Louisiana, and pockets of different languages all over.

Hell you even have active borders between some states.

I'll never forget being stopped going from Nevada to California and being asked if we had any fruit.
Because, clearly that's the only way insects can cross state lines - in cars.
I even smuggled 3 apples across the border whistle

If you consider the city states of ancient Greece are often considered to be seperate countries, then the American states should definitely have the same status.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #11 - Nov 14th, 2021 at 11:52pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Nov 14th, 2021 at 3:21pm:
I'll never forget being stopped going from Nevada to California and being asked if we had any fruit.
Because, clearly that's the only way insects can cross state lines - in cars.
I even smuggled 3 apples across the border

You horrible man, you! 

Every time I visit my folks and then come back home I have to go through this silly check. I can understand stopping trucks/lorries because of the volume they can carry, but personal vehicles seems silly. As you point out, insects are quite mobile on their own.

John R.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Nov 15th, 2021 at 9:45am

I once heard the difference between Europeans and Americans being: Americans think 300 years is a long time, Europeans think 300 miles is a long distance.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Nov 15th, 2021 at 3:23pm

100 Smiley

Americans think 100 years is a long time and brits think 100 miles is a long way.

300 miles is a ludicrously long way in the uk lol
It's almost as far as you can possibly drive. 
so while most people would have driven 100 miles at some point. very few would have driven 300 in the uk.
I've friven a lot further in other coutries, but not sure I've ever gone over 300 miles in the uk.

Ah, right - john o groats to lands end is 874 miles - and that's the longest journey you can make by road in the uk.

So we're a lot bigger than I thought Smiley

I've got  a mate who's house has bits that date back over 1000 years.
Personally i think of anything after the norman conquest as being 'modern' history.

So even if you've never left the continental united states, visiting different states definitely counts as proper travel Smiley

Hell that's the reason so few americans own passports - when you've got such a huge and varied place to explore - why bother going somewhere nobody speaks your lamnguage (and for the record that includes england lol It's not the same language whistle )

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Nov 16th, 2021 at 8:22am

I travel about 800 to see family most Christmases.  Grin

Still. Switzerland, Japan, and the UK are on my bucket list. I'd like to walk under Sherwood forest and have a pint at the Eagle and Child.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris)