The Joy of Autumn (Read 951 times)
Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
The Joy of Autumn
Oct 28th, 2021 at 9:50am

One of the things I like about the coming of the fall is the change of wardrobe.  I like putting on coats I haven't worn since the spring and having many more pockets than I get to have in the blazing heat of the summer.  I love pockets.  Sometimes I surprise myself by leaving a $10 bill in an obscure pocket of my coat (a bit like putting a cookie in the bottom of your cereal bowl before having any coffee, then being surprised and delighted by the morning treat).  No, I'm not senile; I just haven't had any coffee yet.

On the first cold morning this fall, I dug out what my wife and I call the "smoking jacket" and found a jute mexican style tematlatl http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1303006800/3#3 and http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1339632628/0 in the pocket...Yaay!  I haven't seen that since this past spring!  It was all twisted and warped, but I squished it back into shape with no trouble.  It's a good bit shorter than my go-to, but it was still very satisfying with the rice-weighted tennis balls.  I remembered making it and smiled.

This morning I put on an old denim jacket, stuck my hand in the pocket, and lo and behold!  There was a long-corded athletic tape sling!  Well, yes, it's raining a little, but that won't stop me.  I'd forgotten how whooshy and air-draggy it is, but it was nice to do some loopy lobbers with it.

Find anything good in your jacket pockets recently?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: The Joy of Autumn
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2021 at 11:06am

I love pockets too. Also bags and satchels and pouches. I own far more things that can have things put in them than things to actually put in them. I'm quite good at not forgetting things in my pockets though, mostly because I switch coats often so always make sure to migrate everything across. I wish I found extra slings in my jackets though Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2021 at 12:19pm

Pockets are an excellent way to give yourself a present. Usually this requires 1 of three things. Getting really drunk, have dementia or...pockets!

Ive found the occasional sling in things I havent worn for awhile and its always a great day when that happens. Even better when its an Autumn day. Any pics of the Tematlatl?

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2021 at 12:23pm

not yet, but I can rustle one up for you

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2021 at 12:51pm

Here you go.  Made it in 2019.  It's jute and only thumb tip to mid-bicep long, but it's fun and snappy.

tematl640.jpg (92 KB | 21 )
tematl640.jpg

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2021 at 12:14am

You wouldn’t like fall as much if you lived in Minnesota because that’s when you know the -20 degree weather is coming just around the corner. Grin

But I do like having the extra pockets as well, as long as they aren’t already full of rocks and other stuff from spring.

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2021 at 7:50am

Oh, don't I know it!  I grew up in Anchorage, Buffalo, and Albany.  Where I live now, anything below 60 F is "freezing" and I love it.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 12:29pm

I also love Fall.  I tolerate warm weather.  I love when the weather gets cold and you can start wearing flannels, hoodies, etc.  again.  Real Fall seems to come later every year.  We are just getting into it now.  The foliage hasn't even peaked yet.  Anyway, Fall makes me happy.

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #8 - Nov 4th, 2021 at 11:44am

Well, Glory be!

It's going into the 30s tonight so I pulled out my leather jacket, and what do I find?  An acrylic yarn Rockman!

Woo-hoooo!

rockmanyarn640.jpg (64 KB | 15 )
rockmanyarn640.jpg

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2021 at 1:00pm

That looks like a nice little sling to have in a pocket. Loki (he hasn't turned up on the forum for a while sadly) sent me a load of slings he made that look quite similar. Incredibly beautifully woven Rockman style slings that are incredibly thin and small compared to most of my slings. Absolutely perfect for carrying around on walks where you're unlikely to find perfect 120g eggs, but will find plenty of small stones to send whizzing through trees. He sent me a while bunch a while back and I keep a fair few around in various coats.

I received these two and an alligator skin pouch for a SITH years ago. The small brown and pale one is almost always on me.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick)