Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Illuminations of the Middle Ages (Read 1103 times)
TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Illuminations of the Middle Ages
Oct 28th, 2021 at 3:51am

https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?action=downloadfile;file=enluminures%2Epdf
What arguments for or against ?
Not in the style : "probably... as usual..."

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Re: Illuminations of the Middle Ages
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2021 at 12:59pm

Nice Pictures!
Do you know of references for at least some, for timewise and spatial context?

Which arguments do you mean, for or against sling usage in the respective context?

I maybe remember one, bottom right, it is about a castle/city siege

Others seem to be depictions of the David story...

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2021 at 11:22pm

I agree with funditor.  I think the top left, middle, and bottom left are depictions of David and Goliath.  The one at the bottom right does look like a siege.  The slinger has a kite shield, which usually appears in the 10th through the 12th centuries.  And the one at the top right position is the image that inspired me to try two handed slinging.  Which I know is at least plausible, because I did it.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2021 at 5:41am

You didn’t like me speaking in uncertainties? Sorry, but it would be wrong to confidently assert things I don’t know. I only have my best guess.

I don’t even know what the arguments you want, but from the past thread I would guess that you are trying to analyze the style in which the slings are held and used. You put these images in your claims of the ice pick grip with the Corsican sling, so I really hope that’s not what you want to discuss. None of them depict it anyways.

For these artworks, most the artists probably have never held a sling in their life. 2 of the photos (top right and center) have indistinguishable retention (doesn’t need to be a loop, just held differently than the release to be retained) and release cords. 1 (bottom left) has an unintelligible grip, but it might be in a similar position as the previous ones.

The top left is interesting due to the wrist retention, which is relatively rare. Unfortunately we don’t see how it is held.

The bottom right is the most complete, and it’s a very weird picture. I have no knowledge of how that would actually work. It would be an interesting experiment. It’s held backwards, and I have no idea how it would effect the release. From holding it in that position, I think the sling pouch would be behind the stone, whereas conveniently I think the pouch is in front of the stone upon release. I speculate that instead of moving out of the way, the pouch would foul the shot. Furthermore, the release cord is held between the middle and ring finger. I don’t know how this would work, but I do know that the ring finger is rather weak and neither of the fingers are as dexterous as the index finger and thumb. Of all slingers I’ve ever ever heard of across the world, no one holds the retention cord in those fingers. It’s always the index finger and thumb. Although I think it’s worthy of experimentation, I think this grip is likely a mistake by the artist.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2021 at 7:59am

I gathered these illuminations because they represent unusual positions. To remind me of them. I don't note their references. Sorry.
The illuminations are often very precise and full of details. The questions I ask myself is : how much confidence can be placed in the sling ?

We can believe that the monks have never held a sling. But we can also believe that the monks have often seen a hunter or a farmer with a sling. These are not arguments but assumptions.

I tested the one of the middle (inverted hold), (you too Joe), and the one of the bottom left (without fingerloop).

With a style of throwing like the old Indian man, and an inverted hold, the fire lacks power. Maybe, it's just my bad technique.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 5:13am

I read somewhere there are about 200 illuminations of agricultural work with a sling.
My idea is :
"the monks were in contact with the peasants. So the slings was common to them."
So, I tend to believe these drawings. On the other end, our "expertise" consist in testing them to make up our minds.
It can be an open door for the sling during the Middle ages.
What do you think ?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 6:19am

People working the fields would use slings to scare off birds that were in the crops. There is an example of this in the Bayeaux tapestry.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 6:22am

Here

BaySling.jpg (8 KB | 52 )
BaySling.jpg

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 7:36am

The tapestry was embroidered by English monks just after the conquest. Details are visible : cracker and underarm shot.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #9 - Nov 3rd, 2021 at 6:53am

https://www.bayeuxmuseum.com/la-tapisserie-de-bayeux/decouvrir-la-tapisserie-de-...

If you want see the Bayeux tapestry. Page 10. This is the website of Bayeux Museum. For English language, https://www.bayeuxmuseum.com/en/ .

Good reading  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)