Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
If you could get one car, brand new for free what would it be (Read 1378 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: If you could get one car, brand new for free what would it be
Reply #15 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 11:44am

well you can't get one yet, but when you can I'll have a vauxhaul zafira with a hydrogen fuel cell or hydrogen combustion engine.

I'll also have amy own hydrogen production cell and a compressor.
One of the award winners from the recent green planet award thingy prince william setup, makes small portable hydroghen production units.

We've basically got everything available bar the vehicles.

I have it on good authority that land rover in the uk are building a new plant to produce hydrogen based vehicles (probably just up the road from me as it happens - some truly massive buildings going up).

I loved my zafira. 7 seats when needed, small van if needed, or enough room for 5 people, several large dogs and some crap in the back with the dogs.

if it's something you can actually buy - then my mind has not change for quite some years now - I'll have whatever the largest platform gibbs HSA currently make, and have it converted to a combined motorhome and fishing platform Smiley

I believe the phibian is the largest they currently do.
https://gibbsamphibians.com/platform/phibian/

Should be able to add some extra width and length and turn it into a motorhome/boat with covered fishing platform
I'll take some retractable stabilisers for when we're at anchor as well. 

I figure you're looking at over 500K with the conversion.
So can I also have one of Nooc's wheel arches to pay for it all ?

I guess it would look something like this:

I'd alter that front area for fishing from and cover the roof with solar panels.
And convert to hydrogen when possible, that way I could generate fuel with sunlight and water.
we could probably rhow in a compact desalination plant as well.

Giving unlimited range over water and dirt cheap travel over land.
hell if you capture the exhaust (water) and recycle it through the hydrogen production cell, you'd potentially be running on sunlight.

I'd also have a small vertical windmill that could be deployed at sea.
As well as a small towable, automatically deployed turbine for when at sea.

Hmm, best make that two wheel arches and a suspension strut. I don;t think we're getting much change from a million here Smiley

But damn, just think about it. A proper free ranging vehicle at home on land an sea, with unlimited mileage.

I don't think I'd actually drive it across the atlantic, but we could hop a ride on a cargo boat easy enough. And no problem pootling around on the great lakes.
Or any other inland water way.

And driving across the channel would be a doddle.
Forget the ports, just find a little coastal town and drive up a slipway.

I can't think of a way - yet - to add a triski:
https://gibbsamphibians.com/platform/triski/

But there must be a way !

Maybe fish off the back and put the triski on the front.
towing would be an option on land - not sure about while on water.

With enough money - anything is possible !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 12:01pm

I mean part of me would like a nice ferrari but since I'm not going to take up racing (legal or illegal, I don't have the dough) it'd be a bit of waste.

As long as she runs well I'm pretty easy to please. If I was going to spring for anything it'd be for good noise cancelling so I can enjoy the music more.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 12:17pm

noise cancelling ?
nah just get louder speakers Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 1:07pm

@Iron Goober and Ratman: I have nothing against electric cars it’s just currently the ways everyone is trying to do it isn’t practical. Actually all of what I said has nothing to do with politics that’s why I said I’m not trying to start a political fight, it’s just reality. I am a big fan of getting power from water though.

@morphy: Good choice! I actually named my black cat KITT.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #19 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 2:44pm

perpetualstudent wrote on Oct 22nd, 2021 at 12:01pm:
If I was going to spring for anything it'd be for good noise cancelling so I can enjoy the music more.

If I were to purchase a new car, this would be a major consideration for me also. Road noise is very irritating when listening to quiet music or Ira Glass (This American Life). I get annoyed when trying to listen to podcasts/radio shows on long trips because I don't like cranking up the volume (you get that background buzz) and my listening comprehension is apparently terrible.

John R.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 3:29pm

Ah - I pretty much just play loud music in the car.
On the grounds it's pretty much the only place you can really turn up the speakers to ear bleeding levels.

Even my headphones - good as they are - are volume limited.

I like music loud enough to feel.
And outside of a live concert, the car is the only place you can do this.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 5:16pm

Quote:
@morphy: Good choice! I actually named my black cat KITT.

I named mine "Literally Hitler" just to screw with people.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris)