Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Backyard target or backstop? (Read 868 times)
SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Backyard target or backstop?
Oct 20th, 2021 at 4:17pm

I've been unable to properly sling for a while and I'll need to set up some sort of target or backstop in my backyard to start slinging again. I need a way to avoid hitting the fence or hitting my window depending on where I set it up. Even better if it can stop balls from going over the fence. What's the best option? I want to sling rusty balls but I'll settle for rubber balls if the target can't handle them. If a net is the best option, then what kind of net? Do I need to weave one? Is there a strong, large, durable, and reasonably-priced option that someone can recommend?

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Re: Backyard target or backstop?
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2021 at 4:49pm

I’ve been checking out golf nets… they’re cheap and easy to put up. I’m yet to pull the trigger (or release the stone) because I’ve had some wrist and elbow issues preventing me slinging but it’s probably going to be what I go for…

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 6:08am

Morphy fairly recently set up a net in his garden. Might be the person to ask. For a target, a big old pan works pretty good Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 7:15am

As Kick mentioned I put up a net in my backyard. I got the 10x20 ft net. In hindsight the 10x25 wouldve been much better. Dont be surprised if you still have ammo go over the fence. Especially when using vertical throws. Other times it can bounce and go over.

Whatever you decide to use for ammo you are likely to still need to take price/lethality into account. Even a big net is not a 100% guard against losing ammo. I use hard foam rubber baseballs that weigh in at about 4.5oz and are a little smaller (i think) than a real baseball. Theres other options but these satisfy the three main issues- safety, speed and weight.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 12:34pm

My net is 10' x 10'. And as Morphy said, I still miss sometimes. Even with rustyballs, expect to miss occassionally, so try to have nothing around (or behind) that can be really damaged when you do miss (my fence gets hit and I've cracked a few boards). Tennis balls aren't as fun, but they are much safer ammo.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2021 at 1:51am by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 1:17am

You know what’s not fun? Never going out slinging because you can’t safely launch anything except tennis balls… They’re not rustyballs, but compared to not slinging at all, tennis balls are great fun!  I’ve also cracked boards on my fence with tennis balls.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 6:19pm

Tennis balls have bounced out of my backyard since it's not that large. I'd need a net for them too  Grin

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2021 at 2:39pm

This stuff might also work for tennis balls.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BOEN-4x100-Green-Snow-Fence/1001765416?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_...

It is much cheaper too. My golf net was $110 USD for a 3m x 3m target (10ft x 10ft). This stuff is 1.2 m x 30m (4 ft x 100 ft) for a third the price. It won't take a beating like the golf net, but tt would work and can be doubled up or added to and replaced easily.

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2021 at 5:19pm

Snow fence is tough stuff!  Me? I just accept that I will lose a few tennis balls every week, and then occasionally my neighbors throw them all back and I’m surprised to have a ton of ammo in the yard. Walmart sells pressureless tennis balls for $.50 each in packs of 18, so it’s not a big deal to lose a few per week. Also, my neighbors all have dogs and don’t seem to mind the free dog toys anyway.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2021 at 5:30pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Oct 24th, 2021 at 5:19pm:
Snow fence is tough stuff!  Me? I just accept that I will lose a few tennis balls every week, and then occasionally my neighbors throw them all back and I’m surprised to have a ton of ammo in the yard. Walmart sells pressureless tennis balls for $.50 each in packs of 18, so it’s not a big deal to lose a few per week. Also, my neighbors all have dogs and don’t seem to mind the free dog toys anyway.

In exchange for throwing them back they probably keep a few. Grin

I’ll have to look at Walmart for tennis balls sometime I didn’t know they were that cheap.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2021 at 9:36pm

I didn't realize it was called snow fence until I found the link. I always see it at construction sites, so was searching the wrong terms for years (and maybe Google wasn't as good at finding related commercial ads).

John R.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick)