Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Benefits (and disadvantages) of slings compared to other primitive weapons (Read 1397 times)
Blespi
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

CO Springs, Colorado
Benefits (and disadvantages) of slings compared to other primitive weapons
Oct 19th, 2021 at 8:18pm

Here's a short list I've thought of.

Benefits
-easy to make
-cheap and abundant ammunition, you don't have to spend a few days making arrows, don't have to carry around a quiver
-the stones can be thrown faster, farther, and more accurate than they can be by hand
-takes a lot less energy using a sling than throwing by hand
-it's quiet
-doesn't require a lot of muscle, can be tired and still sling effectively
-trajectory not affected by wind as arrows are
-low maintenance
-portable, pocket-sized, doesn't need a case like a bow does

Downsides include
-need some room to sling, to not get caught on thicket or other slingers
-hard to get good at
-hard to aim, at least with a bow you can look down the shaft of the arrow. slings, you can't properly aim

What others are there?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Benefits (and disadvantages) of slings compared to other primitive weapons
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 10:08pm

You should check out this post in the Other Primitive Weapons board: https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1603626991.  Slyngorm put quite a bit of thought and effort into this very question.

Your list looks pretty good, but there are some arguments that could be made.

Blespi wrote on Oct 19th, 2021 at 8:18pm:
-cheap and abundant ammunition, you don't have to spend a few days making arrows, don't have to carry around a quiver

I agree that a sling can throw pretty much anything.  But the more random in size and shape the projectile is, the more random the flight it will have and the impact it will make after hitting the target.  An arrow is a more complex projectile that a glande, but time and effort can definitely be put into getting/making really good sling ammunition.

-the stones can be thrown faster, farther, and more accurate than they can be by hand

Mostly agree, but not sure about the accuracy.  I think that would be an interesting test.  Put a target within hand-throwing range.  Throw a number of stones at it by hand, then do the same with a sling.  I think I would actually do better by hand.  Obviously not with the same power as a sling though.

-doesn't require a lot of muscle, can be tired and still sling effectively

Not sure on this.  Especially when target slinging for long periods of time, and with larger stones.  The body gets tired and throws become sloppy.  That's my experience anyway.

-trajectory not affected by wind as arrows are

Partially agree.  Definitely no where near as much as an arrow.  But wind can have an effect depending on the density and shape of the projectiles being thrown.  If you're just looking at stones, then yes, any wind effect will be negligible for the most part.

I think your first and last points are the ones I would most agree with.  Easy to make, and a small size and weight make it very portable.  The other is very similar to your second point.  A wide variety of ammunition can be used.

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2021 at 8:40am

I don't necessarily see "hard to get good at" as a negative.  In the past I did, and I understand why if someone hasn't mastered it.

As a 50 years old man, I value those things that take time to master now that I have enough years to be retrospective.  I see "hard to learn" as an advantage.  Things that are easily learned usually involve complicated objects that when taken away leave you with nothing.  Talent is something that can't be taken away.  Take away my sling, and 5 minutes later with a shoelace and the back pocket off my blue jeans, I am a slinger again.

When I was 16, I knew people who played the guitar from the time they were 8.  I thought I was too old to learn the guitar.  It wasn't until I was 22 that I started to play it seriously.

My advice to anyone (especially the young at heart) look to gain skills that take a while to master.  Skills are something that can't be confiscated.

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2021 at 8:44am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Oct 19th, 2021 at 10:08pm:
but not sure about the accuracy.  I think that would be an interesting test.  Put a target within hand-throwing range.  Throw a number of stones at it by hand, then do the same with a sling.  I think I would actually do better by hand.  Obviously not with the same power as a sling though.

I do have more accuracy with a sling, past 25 meters. At 100 meters, it's all sling. Smiley

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2021 at 1:22pm

More pros:
- Even with stones, a sling will out-range most bows. With lead projectiles, the sling will outrange all traditional bows.
- Slings can be significantly more powerful than even the heaviest war bows. (and can kill-through armour)
- Shields can effectively be used in combination with a sling
- A small lead glans at ~70m/s is invisible, and thus impossible to dodge.
- Lead glandes are much more compact than arrows or javelins, and thus much more can be carried at once.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2021 at 2:38pm

Archaic Arms wrote on Oct 20th, 2021 at 1:22pm:
- Lead glandes are much more compact than arrows or javelins, and thus much more can be carried at once.

That is a biggie.  Imagine being a soldier having to carry your weaponry hundreds of miles, or having to double time in a retreat or go to the next battle 20 miles away.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2021 at 3:19pm

I think once you get good with the sling you are in a real advanteous position over all the others. It's the preferred weapon of choice for slaying giants for a reason. The advantage of other systems being primarily the quicker learning curve. I am still learning new things about this cord device 10 years in... others whom I will teach this art to will learn it quicker, as I had to rediscover many things for myself.
One day you will have perfected the system for yourself and you will become a real expert and you can share your philosophy to the next generation.
You have to think logically about what's happening when you sling, what the device actually is and tries to do, how the stone rolls upon exit, how the cord flies out, and base your evidence on it, so a certain harmony is established between slinger, sling and projectile.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2021 at 3:50pm

RJB wrote on Oct 20th, 2021 at 8:44am:
but not sure about the accuracy.  I think that would be an interesting test.  Put a target within hand-throwing range.  Throw a number of stones at it by hand, then do the same with a sling.  I think I would actually do better by hand.  Obviously not with the same power as a sling though.

I do have more accuracy with a sling, past 25 meters. At 100 meters, it's all sling. Smiley

I agree 100% there.  I should have been more specific.  I was just considering very short distances.  Maybe 10m max.

Don't know if I could even throw something 25 meters by hand.  Grin

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 20th, 2021 at 8:20pm

Not all slings are low maintenance. Natural fibers wear out pretty quickly if they aren’t protected.

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #9 - Oct 20th, 2021 at 10:03pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Oct 20th, 2021 at 3:50pm:
RJB wrote on Oct 20th, 2021 at 8:44am:

I agree 100% there.  I should have been more specific.  I was just considering very short distances.  Maybe 10m max.

Don't know if I could even throw something 25 meters by hand.  Grin

You didn't have to be more specific.  I was just adding to your very true statement.  Early on, I used very short slings for accuracy, but I realized that aiming at 40 meter targets, there was too much drop with the shorter slings and my longer ones were more accurate because I could hit the targets with a line drive

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #10 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 6:58am

Quote:
Not all slings are low maintenance. Natural fibers wear out pretty quickly if they aren’t protected.

Ah but the materials to make a sling would already be in existence. I can take shoe laces, string, clothing, bag straps, natural cordage I can make from nettle which grows all over Finland etc. It was the same for ancient peoples too. Sling materials are everywhere and in only a few minutes I can make a back-up sling. Bow breaks, there's nothing you can do except get a new bow. With a sling if the end breaks (most damage I've seen has been the release end fraying) you can tie some extra material on as a quick fix in a tight spot. You can't tie a new limb onto a bow. Most damage with bows is suffered by the string and, though it is possible to substitute other material, something like a long bow can't just have anything strapped to it. It will just break again or seriously damage the bow itself. Slings have that as an advantage.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 11:58am

RJB wrote on Oct 20th, 2021 at 10:03pm:
You didn't have to be more specific.  I was just adding to your very true statement.  Early on, I used very short slings for accuracy, but I realized that aiming at 40 meter targets, there was too much drop with the shorter slings and my longer ones were more accurate because I could hit the targets with a line drive

I gotcha.  My fault.  My brain just misinterpreted what you said.  Yeah, we're in agreement on that point.

Archaic Arms wrote on Oct 20th, 2021 at 1:22pm:

Glandes will take up less space, but per the same amount of space they will also be much heavier.  I agree with your point, the overall weight is just something else to consider.

And another thing to put out there in the glande/arrow comparison, arrows will be much easier to find and reuse after being shot.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 12:40pm

Slings are good but their disadvantage makes them just so so imo. Throwing stick, atlatl or bow is where its at. Then keep your sling for random shots.

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 12:48pm

@Kick: Yeah I see what your saying, but that still is more maintenance than other primitive weapons. I’d say it’s more like simple to repair, instead of low maintenance.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 4:47pm

Sehr viel Lob für die Sling. Aber töten sie mal einen Hirsch. Gute Steine finden sie nicht überall. Auch Blei wächst nicht auf einem Baum. Wieviel Schuss können sie tragen? In einem Kampf war das eine gute Frage. Alexannder der Große hatte nur selten ein Tross für seine Armee. Ich mag die Sling. Sie könnte mich ernähren. Aber ich bin froh ,das es nicht die einzige Waffe ist die ich trainiere. Ein Atlatl ist einfach gebaut. Auch Pfeile sind relativ einfach gemacht. Wenn man weiß wo man suchen muß. Ein einfacher Speer tötet ebenfalls sehr effektiv. Die Frage ist immer wofür ich eine Waffe benötige. Und wenn man ehrlich ist, hat eine Sling nicht so viele Vorteile wie hier genannt. Bedenken sie, das slinger im Kampf eine Art sonder Einheit darstellte.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick)