Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Interesting things you’ve found while slinging. (Read 929 times)
Harja_Eschen
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Interesting things you’ve found while slinging.
Oct 18th, 2021 at 5:23am

About a year ago I started slinging at a local riverbank. It is a very good place to sling. Nice ammo could be found everywhere.

It’s in a suburban area, so there is some trash. I usually don’t pay a lot of attention to them though.
One time I was walking along the bank selecting ammo, I stumbled across a case of a DVD that’s inappropriate for minors.

There was no DVD inside the case. And judging from the cover I was very grateful for that.

I’ve also found a lot of tumbled glass at the same place. They’re generally not as round as sea glass but still very pretty. I might try making something with them in the future.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Interesting things you’ve found while slinging.
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 4:43am

Well I didn't find them when slinging but found them when slinging was on my mind. I have used various items from the shared bin ares where I've lived as targets. Old oven trays, wooden pallets, large pieces of chip board... If it's going in the bin anyway I might as well smash it up first Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 8:03am

does a muntjac deer count ?

We were actually using daves atlatl at the time as well as slinging.
the spear hit a treestump, that a muntjac deer was hiding next to.
made us all jump Smiley

I think we all picked up: 'genuinely authentic historical slingstones that had almost certainl'y been used in battle, no really they definiely had'
At danebury hillfort some years back when dave, badger and I went on the infamous roadtrip Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Harja_Eschen
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 12:59am

Kick,
That’s interesting, I also like so smash what's available on the banks too. If it’s big enough I’ll probably have a go with it. I’ve used driftwood staves and old wooden pallets for targets.

IP Logged

Harja_Eschen
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 1:08am

Curious Aardvark,
Wow, that’s cool, the only animals I saw while slinging were ducks. I’d be pretty freaked out too if I saw one.

And Iron Age slingstones? That’s pretty cool. Think I should visit Danbury one day!  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)