Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Your WWII Weapon of Choice (Read 1273 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Your WWII Weapon of Choice
Oct 14th, 2021 at 11:41pm

If you went through the Time Tunnel and found yourself having to fight in WWII which weapon would you prefer? 
     The M1 Garand gets my honorable mention.  It was a semi auto rifle when a lot of the world was still using bolt actions.  It was a heavy, rugged, dependable war rifle with excellent accuracy to 500 yards and it used a respectable sized round, the .30-06, so it had good hitting power.  I would feel confident going into battle with one even today. 
    But my choice would be the BAR, or Browning Automatic Rifle. It was also a dependable, rugged rifle.  It also fired the .30-06 or 7.62 round.  It was accurate out to 1500 yards with a maximum range of 5000 yards, had a twenty round clip, and could fire up to 650 rounds per minute.  It put a lot of firepower in the hands of an individual soldier.  As I've mentioned before, I was my company's M-60 gunner in the 101st Airborne.  Though I've never fired a BAR it seems similar to the M-60 which weighed the same at 24 lbs and also fired the 7.62 round at 650 rounds per minute.  I think it would feel very normal to me. 
    What's your choice?

BAR.jpg (32 KB | 21 )
BAR.jpg

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Re: Your WWII Weapon of Choice
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 12:04am

My weapon of choice would be the M1 carbine with a 1911 Colt pistol as my sidearm. If I was on the Germans side it would be the M.P. 40 sub machine gun with either a Luger or Walther 9mm pistol

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 12:06pm

There was a German rifle that shot round corners, had a sideways periscope, so you could see what you were shooting.
https://youtu.be/HSsFiS2Voxg
It was a conversion kit so the rifle could also be used in a more conventional straight barrelled manner.

As a slinger my natural instincts are for ambush tactics, shooting round corners, just appeals to my sense of dirty fighting (no such thing, just winning or losing).
Playing fair in war is for dead people Smiley

That and the Mauser with the holster that transformed into a shoulder stock would do me Smiley
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_C96?wprov=sfla1
Large magazine, high velocity round and long barrel meant that with the holster used as a stock, you basically had an ultra portable semi auto carbine.
The luger is the weapon that made it into films, but the Mauser was the superior weapon.

Though to be fair a sling and some American grenades would be my weapons of choice for most engagements.

I believe the Americans made grenades that mimicked baseball's in size and weight, for easy throwing.
Could be wrong. It's what they yanks always had in comics when I was growing up.
Hmm, that could have been poetic licence as I can't find any actual device.

In whice case I'll have some German stick grenades and one if Davids cestro slings.
Should get some serious distance with that setup.

Also the Mauser was  in a comic series when I was a kid.
Victor comic I believe.

We was not woke back then Smiley
Plus the war had only been over 30 years or so, and as a nation, we were still doing a metaphorical victory lap.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 12:32pm

This is a page from the handbook on German military forces:

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 1:26pm

Does this count?  Cool

spitfire_rz.jpg (28 KB | 19 )
spitfire_rz.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 2:05pm

JudoP wrote on Oct 15th, 2021 at 1:26pm:
Does this count?  Cool

Though not what I had in mind, it is a weapon so it has to be allowed.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 2:07pm

Quote:
My weapon of choice would be the M1 carbine with a 1911 Colt pistol as my sidearm. If I was on the Germans side it would be the M.P. 40 sub machine gun with either a Luger or Walther 9mm pistol 

As an MP I carried the Colt 45 M1911. IMO it's still the best pistol ever made.  Smooth, dependable, good feel, and excellent stopping power.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 5:45pm

If I were choosing a bolt-action, probably Lee Enfield No.4.Good capacity, easy to shoot fast, V good sights.

If I were choosing a LMG, Czech ZB30 . Having the magazine on top means you can get really close to the ground in a fox-hole, it's also accurate in semi-auto. Also very accurate in full-auto, because of how smooth shooting it is. I don't of any other LMG that can beat it.

If I were choosing a General purpose MG, then the MG42 or 38. Yes you burn through ammo, but you obtain unapparelled fire-suppression. Also quite dependable.

If it were a semi-auto rifle, probably a STG 44.
Very ahead of it's time.

If it were a SMG, Czech Zk-383. Extremely smooth shooting in both slow RPM and high RPM settings. Also has an integral bipod for even more stable shots. It's in 9mm PB, and could probably do with a slightly spicier round to make the bipod a bit more useful. Alas, it's still alongside the Suomi and Beretta 38a as WW2 SMG kings.

If I were choosing a pistol, Browning Hi-Power. Again, it's a ahead of it's time with 13-15 rds of 9mm PB, and as reliable as it comes.
Can't think of any other WW2 pistol that can touch it really, other than perhaps the 1911, but I've shot the latter and it doesn't fit my hands very well. 

Hopefully that covers it...  Grin
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2021 at 5:53am by Archaic Arms »  

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 5:49pm

JudoP wrote on Oct 15th, 2021 at 1:26pm:
Does this count?  Cool

Great choice! Is that a MkIX? Even better.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2021 at 5:24am

This so I can dig a hidey hole to avoid conscription

index_001.jpg (3 KB | 20 )
index_001.jpg

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2021 at 8:30am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Oct 16th, 2021 at 5:24am:

That's not the worst choice you could have made.  I've mentioned this before; in the army we actually had a class that taught how to use the E Tool as a weapon of last resort.  You can stab, slice, bash, slash, or throw it like an ax.  It's a very useful item.

e.jpg (45 KB | 18 )
e.jpg

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 4:40am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Oct 16th, 2021 at 5:24am:

This is definitely the best answer.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 8:12am

My second choice wuld be whatever the german research scientists made that was just too awful for even them to deploy.

Or possibly:

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark)