Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Form changes over the years (Read 1061 times)
IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Form changes over the years
Reply #15 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 3:38pm

@Sarosh

I haven't been using this change for too long, so I can't really say either way. It does seem to help me throw faster with less effort though. But you could be right that it may be bad for certain parts of your body. But for me, it seems to make things hurt less when I'm throwing full effort.

There is a really good example of what I was trying to get at on the "slingguamofficial" page on Instagram. It was posted on Sept 27th. That slinger pulls his hand up and behind his head so when he begins the hip/shoulder rotation, his hand makes a very large arc. Having good shoulder mobility, i.e. external rotation (which I don't have) also helps a lot in this regard.  It goes with what I was trying to say about baseball pitchers and how baseball and slinging have a lot in common. Pitchers have a lot of shoulder flexibility so they can build up a lot of tension as the arm lies back, then it releases all at once when the arm comes forward. It seems to be similar with slinging. Though it is a bit different because the force angles are different than in pitching and they also change at the sling position progresses and changes direction, where in a pitch, the force is just backwards against your hand as you accelerate the ball.

Anyway, I say, if it hurts, or starts to hurt, don't do it.

John R.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Form changes over the years
Reply #16 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 4:10pm

@IronGoober
I've noticed that I do raise it sometimes even though I intend to keep it level with the shoulder. I had a very bad experience with raising it on purpose.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris)