Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Half-mechanical relax-trigger tight-grip toggle release system (Read 1990 times)
MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Re: Half-mechanical relax-trigger tight-grip toggle release system
Reply #15 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 9:02am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Oct 11th, 2021 at 6:06am:
Yes. But not any more so than with any other sling.

whats the advantage if its just like a normal sling ?

I think you want to solve a problem that doesnt exist.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #16 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 9:16am

MikeG wrote on Oct 11th, 2021 at 8:17am:
wirkt für mich auch ziemlich unnötig. Ich verstehe einfach nicht wie irgendwas dadurch verbessert wird.

As mentioned, a Y-pouch causes the majority of a projectile's weight to be put on the release side of the sling.  If you've never used a sling with a Y-pouch before, this is actually a pretty strange feeling until you become used to it.  What J is trying to do is compensate for this uneven distribution.

Something else to keep in mind is that the grip system is in an experimental phase at this point.  I'm sure J will have adjustments to it before he considers it finished.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #17 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 9:48am

To me there's something very appealing of a hammer style grip with the cords seperating from more or less ~ 1 point in the hand. It makes rotating the sling a very fluid movement without any chance of projectile slippage. A narrow grip like this can be done without a toggle but I was looking for a way to do it with a toggle. Conventional toggles or sling handles all seem to be orientated towards a wide grip with cord seperation in the hand. 
Joe is right that this is not a finished product and it is in an experimental stage. Thanks for your understanding Joe and for your other explanations.

I was inspired by Techstuffs design I saw a long time ago, for a triggered grip sling. His design would work better and has an actual button-trigger, but this would require more complicated manufacture. I am simply experimenting to see if there's a way something sort of similar can be achieved in a simple way.

I believe a consistent and relaxed release trigger such as Techstuff proposed here would help a lot in accuracy. Because a conventional sling release knot, tab or cord can drag in the hand as it is released. And this drag is variable depending on how hard we grip and so on.

A mechanical release would be sort of like cheating, as the user no longer has to gauge the right release pressure. All this pressure is now on the trigger system. All they'd have to do is tab a button or touch a trigger to make the stone release. I am trying to approximate this in a simple way.
I am not saying that my simple stick release is exactly like a real mechanical release. Definitely not. Like I said, a compromise, an approximation. A real mechanical release such as techstuff proposed would be far better. The overall advantage of this system I made here might be none at all. It can very well be that what I am seeking after at can only be achieved with an actual mechanical trigger system, such as that of a bow release or crossbow release. Such a system would have advantages. Modern archers use them for a reason.

I explained these things in the opening post, and now I did it again.

Anything that makes a sling easier to be accurate with is allowed in my book. I don't care for preserving sling tradition through not innovating. The simple design isn't threathened. There are more important traditions to preserve than rules on how to twirl around a cord.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #18 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 11:13am

Mersa wrote on Oct 11th, 2021 at 6:24am:
Well If the main reason is weight distribution on the cords then I’d definitely be looking at an archery release like this.

Or at least a similar concept

The problem with this type of release aid is the loop will want to fly off when the sling is rotated 360 degrees.  It can work on a staff sling which doesn't use 360 degree rotations. But on a hand sling ?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #19 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 6:57pm

Well just like all things have pros and cons I think the downside of this type of system will again be pouch angle control . I know a y sling is not as fussy as a regular sling but the system you are chasing will have less control of pouch angle due to you needing to have your hand in a certain position to use the toggle.

I’ve chased accuracy down to a literal point. I’ve knocked bottle caps off bottles and hit nails into wood. I don’t think any change in equipment would have given any noticeable advantages in comparison to the practice. The main part of accuracy is always the user. Especially with a sling. There’s only so much you can modify a sling before it becomes something else . If you’re just trying to move a projectile then the best sling is a gun . But if your staying true to what I would consider a sling then I think the problem can’t be solved with equipment alone. Accuracy will still be in the hands of the user not the equipment.

I think the archery release that I showed could easily work with your design, I don’t think it would come off if your gripping it right but this is just speculation. An actual archery release would not work because they fire when you push a trigger not when you release one . Well the ones I’ve used anyway. I think pulling a trigger is counterproductive with a sling , because you want the trigger sensitivity to be high. So how do you get your finger on the trigger at the exact right time. A release trigger is what’s needed (I say needed lightly) .

I think a conventional sling with noocs triggering bar and pouch is right up your alley . It solves mostly all the issues you have with a conventional sling and with very little downsides .

I appreciate all your experimentation and innovation with sling designs but you do boggle my mind sometimes J. I would love to have a session slinging with you and just talk slinging theories.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Oct 12th, 2021 at 5:10am

Yup such a session would be fun !! I do disagree with a lot of your statements above but I will agree to disagree.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #21 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 11:42am

Again it depoends on how you use a sling.

If you go wit the balearic style - a long tail gripped within your fist - then this would be an impriovement.

If you use a simple knot that is release when you lift your thumb.
There is zero benefit and potentially slower release, as the mechanism works.

It's kind of fixing a problem that doesn't actually exist.

If you were slinging really heavy rocks witha wrist loop, then a mechanical release might be an idea. Bit for normal slinging purposes, just use a knot.

The idea has potential for someone who lacks a thumb or has an otherwise disability that causes a weak thumb or just poor grip.

But for ordinary use by non-disabled people - it's solving a non-existent problem. 

On the diagram, how are you locking the release 'key' in the sling handle ?
Given that it needs to hold against a fair bit of pressure, you'd either need a locking trigger mechanism, or some sort of thumb trigger which would involve using a lot of pressue with the thumb.

You might want to look up joerg spraves sling design from a few years ago - pretty sure he used a trigger mechanism of some kind.
It was a big complicated thing - but it did work and you might be able to use his trigger design in a simpler device. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #22 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 11:54am

You wouldn't know potential benefits until you actually tried and see how it felt. I do agree the simple release systems are cool.
But I do think a real archers wrist release would make slinging more accurate for the same reasons archers deem them more accurate, which is generally accepted. Plus it would make slinging heavy rocks even more fun. I still haven't found a simple way
to fully approximate such a mechanical trigger however and this system I made in the OP is only so-so. If there is really no way to approximate it in a simple manner then there's a fair chance I will drop the idea of a relax trigger, because I don't want to carry an archers release with me everywhere.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #23 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 12:00pm

a bow is an aimed weapon that uses a captive and stored energy delayed release.

A sling is none of those things.

I like the idea, I'm all for different sling designs.

But it needs to work Smiley
And it's not going t be any quicker than a tailless release knot. But it could be useful for heavy slings or people who can't grip a knot with a thumb.

And you know, for my favourite reason - just for the sake of making something new Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #24 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 12:09pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz4iYcvM7eg

Okay - 9 years ago. I think we've previously established I have absolutely no sense of the passage of time Smiley

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #25 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 4:51pm

I can understand why you do this  a toggle can be helpful to reduce the force on the fingers.  for long range shooting i have been using it for many years.  my compound bow also has a relay.  it resembles yours.  but with a bow a relay is used to prevent negative movements from being transmitted to the string and arrow.  with a sling it makes very little sense.  I tried.  it didn't improve my shooting.  Toggle yes, relay no.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 4:52pm

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #27 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 7:49am

Jaegoor wrote on Oct 14th, 2021 at 4:51pm:
I can understand why you do this  a toggle can be helpful to reduce the force on the fingers.  for long range shooting i have been using it for many years.  my compound bow also has a relay.  it resembles yours.  but with a bow a relay is used to prevent negative movements from being transmitted to the string and arrow.  with a sling it makes very little sense.  I tried.  it didn't improve my shooting.  Toggle yes, relay no.

Habe ich schon erwartet.
Was mich wundert ist, dass du auch noch compound schießt (habe selbst vor 3 wochen mit recurve angefangen).
Gibt es eine Art von Waffen die du nicht beherrscht ?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #28 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 10:50am

Compound schieße ich eine Weile schon nicht mehr. Es ist mir zu mechanisch. Ich liebe meinen ungarischen Bogen. Er bekommt gerade eine neue Sehne. Dann kann er auch Kugeln schießen

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #29 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 11:44am

I have used a couple of jaegoor's long range slings.
One with toggle and one without.
And while I'm not keen on toggles, it was a lot safer than the one that was just tail.
You really had to grip that one and hope it didn't slip Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick)