Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Half-mechanical relax-trigger tight-grip toggle release system (Read 1992 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Half-mechanical relax-trigger tight-grip toggle release system
Oct 9th, 2021 at 4:01pm

I've been thinking about how to construct a ''relax trigger' system for a sling.
The reasoning behind it is the same as bow-release or a crossbow trigger.
A) give a clean, consistent release
B) take the load off the fingers and place it on the trigger system instead.
These trigger systems allow archers to hold their heavy poundage bows much better and for far longer.

Some factory-made bow-releases can be modded to handle slings and they work great. There are bow releases out there
that would suit both the wide grip and the narrow grip for slings. They give an absolute hair trigger upon touch of the trigger.

Of course, this requires readjusting of one's release timing, but after one is used to it, it is very accurate, as the release is very consistent.
I've tried slinging with such a bow-trigger and it makes one feel just how much delay and drag there is
with 'analog' sling triggers as they are let go out of the hand, be it a knot, tab or lose string.

But more importantly then the quick release it offers, is that it takes all load off the trigger fingers,
and transfers it to the hand and the arm.

Of course the simple conventional releases are popular and probably will stay so because it's simple.

A factory made bow release is also of a level of mechanical complexity I do not like-- slings are great for their simplicity.
That being said, it has some definite advantages.

But how to make such a release system in a simpler way? Can it even be done?
I think, to make a trigger 100% relaxed, it does require a complex trigger system with internal moving parts of some sort, like a medieval (cross)bow trigger.

But I've found a way I can make ''half-relax'' trigger that takes most of the load of the trigger finger,  without internal moving parts that make a real trigger. Of course it's a compromise. It's not as clean an quick releasing as a real mechanical trigger but it comes pretty close, and it takes a lot of the load off the releasing fingers, which is more important for me.

It only requires a piece of wood and some simple fine tooling.

The pictures should explain themselves. The hand retains the toggle.  The release-loop is placed through the
bottom hole that also feeds the retention cord.  The retention cord is tied to the toggle. The thumb is placed in the release loop. To release the sling, I simply lift the thumb.
The loop release flies out nearly instantly upon release, of course there's a little friction, but this can be reduced by tooling it smooth. Most importantly, the system does seem to take a lot of load off the trigger finger, in this case the thumb. I can barely feel any presurre on the thumb when I spin the sling, even with a heavy rock. But when I lift the thumb, she flies !

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2021 at 5:18am by AncientCraftwork »  

PA092526.JPG (329 KB | 26 )
PA092526.JPG
PA092533.JPG (90 KB | 24 )
PA092533.JPG

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Half-mechanical relax-trigger tight-grip toggle release system
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 4:58pm

That's a pretty good idea.  Nicely executed!

I wonder if a captive release version could be done in which the loop is never fully pulled back through the handle piece after being released.  A simple knot could be used so it can't fit back through the hole.  A possible issue with that idea is there might not be enough cord for the pouch to actually release the projectile.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 5:06pm

I'll have to think of something. It would solve a downside of this system which is indeed the slower reload time. I have to feed the loop through the hole and this takes some time to do.

IP Logged

Happydrow

Slinging Rocks!

Los Angeles, California
Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 8:34pm

That is neat. If you have the resources maybe draft something up in solidworks and 3D print your idea??  Kind of reminds me of a staff sling release.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 2:19pm

Gave it a more serious test today and I like the way it's working, definitely better then expectations. Even though
there's friction of the release loop sliding through the handle, it stil felt as if I had to readjust release timing by me releasing later (which is good.) A fully relaxed mechanical bow release trigger would probably spoil us slingers too much, it feels so good once you got it dialed in. You can give those 200g+ rocks everything you got with one of those.
''
I can't use those computer programs. I can post a more detailed picture if desired later.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 5:10pm

Ich verstehe denn Sinn nicht.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 7:42pm

How about a hinge hook release?
Should be an easy build .
But I’m not really understanding the benefit of this system.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 9:02pm

I'm not sure if there are other reasons, but one is the weight of the projectile on the release side.  With a normal sling, the weight of the projectile, including the additional force when it's being thrown, is distributed evenly between the retention and release cords. When there are two release cords, the release side will now have (at least) 2/3 of the weight.  This is definitely noticeable, especially with heavier stones.  As J mentioned in his first post, he's trying to move the load from the fingers to a trigger system.

I say at least 2/3 of the weight because it can be more.  One of the leather Y-pouches I made had to be almost entirely supported by the release cords.  Too much weight allowed on the retention cord was causing the projectile to fall out early.  It's not a problem with the Y-pouch in general, it was just because of how I shaped the pouch.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 3:12am

Der Sinn von einem Retention Toggle ist mir bewusst. Ich benutze ihn selbst seit langer Zeit. Aber noch ein Auslöser. Da landet man bei einem fustibal.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 3:32am

Joe has got it right.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 5:17am

Here is a short (not so serious) demonstration just to give a better idea of how it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxLDCD8ADh4

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 5:35am

Was ist daran jetzt besser? Die Zugkraft wird nicht auf die Finger verteilt. Sie wirkt in Schuss Richtung. Ein schwerer Stein wird stark daran ziehen. Das laden scheint mir umständlich.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 6:06am

Quote:
Die Zugkraft wird nicht auf die Finger verteilt.

I disagree. The pullling force is shared among all the fingers and the whole hand.

Quote:
Sie wirkt in Schuss Richtung.

Yes. The release is inline.  Good observation

Quote:
Ein schwerer Stein wird stark daran ziehen.

Yes. But not any more so than with any other sling.

Quote:
Das laden scheint mir umständlich.

Yes. Loading is hassle and a problem that I need to solve, I pointed it out int the 3rd reply.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #13 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 6:24am

Well If the main reason is weight distribution on the cords then I’d definitely be looking at an archery release like this.

Or at least a similar concept

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #14 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 8:17am

Jaegoor wrote on Oct 11th, 2021 at 5:35am:
Was ist daran jetzt besser? Die Zugkraft wird nicht auf die Finger verteilt. Sie wirkt in Schuss Richtung. Ein schwerer Stein wird stark daran ziehen. Das laden scheint mir umständlich.

wirkt für mich auch ziemlich unnötig. Ich verstehe einfach nicht wie irgendwas dadurch verbessert wird.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, Chris)