Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: WHY is your handle ?
Reply #15 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 5:35pm

'snobbin'
I love that Smiley

Mine's pretty mundane.
I love aardvarks, they're unique in taxonomy. The sole occupant of the order tubilerdentata (possibly spelt differently).
Which means 'root less teeth'.
Aardvark teeth have no enamel and no root.
So aardvarks can only eat soft bodied insects, mainly termites. They do not eat ants.
They are also the best diggers in Africa.
Have incredibly strong legs and long sharp claws.
And just look amazing. They are also nocturnal.

On top of an aardvark obsession,  curiosity is my base state of being.

I was using the curious aardvark brand long before the internet existed, having evolved into it at college.

And with a brief diversion into Raven publishing some 30 odd years ago, have used curious aardvark for every endeavour and forum username since the inception of the internet.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 5:37pm

You can buy a home freeze drier ?
What's that cost ?
Freeze dried soft fruit are amazing.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #17 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 6:22pm

They aren't cheap. $2K for a base model. But I figure it could eventually pay for itself. I just got solar panels so the energy it takes shouldn't be an issue anymore. (power in California is about 2 to 4 times as expensive as other places in the USA) It takes about 1/2 a day per batch when I'm doing fruit/veggies.

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #18 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 7:39pm

Hmmm....
I'm pretty sure someone changed the name of this thread.  Wink

For why, my name is Joe and I make mead.  Still unimaginative.  It's also the name I use on a homebrew forum.  I figured I would just use the same one when I signed up here.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #19 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 8:34pm

Foreheadslap moment.
I know, you know WHAT my handle is.
Nobody but me KNOWS , WHY my handle is untill I share that knowledge.

Joe, you are as ugly as me but way sharper

Smiley Smiley

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #20 - Oct 12th, 2021 at 8:31am

I was going to look into canning this Fall but Squash Bugs invaded my garden, killing my squash and cucumber plants.  Also there isn't quite enough sun for peppers in my back yard.  My tomatoes did OK but not great.  Soooooo I didn't really produce a surplus for canning this year.  Hopefully my errors have educated me to a better harvest next year.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #21 - Oct 12th, 2021 at 4:43pm

Name is Ryan, iam a veteran.  But also i was trying to get accepted into veterinary school. But that didnt happen.

We can most of the year. We are waiting for the weather to really change to process some chickens. Then we will pressure cook em. Its nice having a stock of food...

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #22 - Oct 13th, 2021 at 3:46pm

vetryan15 wrote on Oct 12th, 2021 at 4:43pm:
Name is Ryan, iam a veteran.  But also i was trying to get accepted into veterinary school. But that didnt happen.

We can most of the year. We are waiting for the weather to really change to process some chickens. Then we will pressure cook em. Its nice having a stock of food...

Nice having a stock of food without depending on the super market.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #23 - Oct 13th, 2021 at 6:38pm

We are teying, one day i hope to be 100%self sufficient.  But that might take awhile. Lol. We been canning apples, i just planted some dwarf fruit trees. Those will be about 5 years before fruit.  I already need more land.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #24 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 8:17am

Quote:
Nobody but me KNOWS , WHY my handle is

which you did explain.
Or was the incredibly detailed stuff about a car and it's engine, just made up ?  whistle
And zud is actually your planet of origin - and '9a' the clutch of eggs you were hatched from.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #25 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 9:04am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 19th, 2021 at 8:17am:
Quote:
Nobody but me KNOWS , WHY my handle is

which you did explain.
Or was the incredibly detailed stuff about a car and it's engine, just made up ?  whistle
And zud is actually your planet of origin - and '9a' the clutch of eggs you were hatched from.

Grin Grin

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #26 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 11:57am

I thought

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #27 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 11:57am

Honestly, I really thought.....

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #28 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 12:00pm

That, having asked you to keep that kind of sensitive personal information to yourself you would have done so !
I am now curled up in a dark, damp corner sucking thumb 17 and quietly weeping.

Satisfied ?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #29 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 10:51am

“Noone of consequence” is how the Dread Pirate Roberts refers to himself just before defeating Inigo Montoya in the Princess Bride.

It’s a modest sounding name inspired by one of the greatest and most well-rounded characters in all of fiction. He is genuine, confident, funny, highly skilled and dangerous with a sword, always one step ahead of everyone else in the room, a witty wordsmith, and a good lover.  How many characters have so much depth without coming across as implausible and overly manufactured? I guess you could say I’m aspirationally humble bragging by naming myself after him.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus)