WHY is your handle ? (Read 2674 times)
xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
WHY is your handle ?
Oct 8th, 2021 at 8:50pm

My user name is Xud9a.

If you can be arsed, a few seconds search online will reveal this is the nomenclature for a Peugeot engine.

Back in the day when it was possible to get an email address without identity I  collected er,......several.

At the time I drove an ex post office racing van.

Long story short, there was a flood, the van got flooded, the flood receded, the van was drained and restarted.

It became a racing van because I had to strip it back to bare metal so it had a drivers seat.
A drivers seat belt.
er, that's it.

It did go 17 mphs faster.

When seeking parts I had to remember the engine designation as that body had been fitted with several engines from 3 makers.

As I had memorised a random string of numerals and digits why would I not use it as an eeeemayl address ?

When asked for an email to register on this illustrious ? websight why not use Xud9a.

X can be pronounced z hence "call me Zud"

Now you know.

as a result of curiosity,  honestly ?  Nosiness.

I know things I didn't heretofore.

I now know what a gorm is or was.

I now know what a drow may be.

Share your username story ?

Cheers

Zud

Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2021 at 4:05pm by xud9a - call me zud 👍 »  

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: WHAT is your handle ?
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 9:06pm

I've shared this before, though not for a very long time.  Back in the mid 60s the Batman TV show was the hottest thing on the air.  No one missed it.  I invented my own comic book character, Rat Man.  He was sort of a screw up version of Batman.  Rat Man and his sidekick, Snobin the Boy Who Makes You Wonder, fought arch villains.  They were sort of like Three Stooges characters and not very brave but in spite of themselves they defeated the criminals, solved the case, and saved the world.   I made my own hand drawn comic books.  Parents hated them for being so weird but my friends loved them. I wish I still had one today.  One does actually still exist.  It is inside my bedroom wall.  I put it there when Dad rebuilt the room.  It's been there sixty years.  Mom died about eleven years ago so other people now own the house.  Someday someone will change the wall or replace the wallboard and find something really weird.   Also....
    At my previous house in Blackwood I raised rats.  What started out as one ended up being about two hundred.  I had three snakes, two of them humongous, so I needed the rats' offspring as feed.  The permanent party rats were pets and would never be snake food.  I build three huge five tier rat motels in the back room.  For many years we had lotsa rats.
    So that's where Rat Man came from. 
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2021 at 3:11pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 9:22pm

Thankz for sharing.... I   did wonder if rats as food would-be in there  !!!

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 9:23pm

Some authors claim Morphy "arranged women's shoes into a semi-circle around his bed," and that he died in his bath "surrounded by women's shoes".

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 9:59am

xud9a - call me zud 👍 wrote on Oct 8th, 2021 at 9:23pm:
Some authors claim Morphy "arranged women's shoes into a semi-circle around his bed," and that he died in his bath "surrounded by women's shoes".

There’s no other way to do it.

Paul Morphy was one of the most brilliant chess players to ever live. Occasionally there are people who are so much better at what they do that they make their other contemporaries look like children. Morphy was that guy. He singlehandedly changed the way people played the game. He went to Europe to play the worlds best, some who were also very famous and beat one of them brutally while Morphy laid sick in his bed. Eventually he became disillusioned with it and didn’t want to play anymore but he was so good that during the time period he was alive no one would claim the title of World Champ. That’s the legend anyways. 

My rating is or was somewhere between 1500-1600 at my best so Im a chump but I love his story.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 4:37pm

What is my handle?

Hmmmm.....

I guess unimaginative.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 4:48pm

two random names from a random name generator
Sarosh Leif

IP Logged

Happydrow

Slinging Rocks!

Los Angeles, California
Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 10:58pm

Dungeons & Dragons ..... re-purposed handle

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 3:04pm

The hoggorm is the only venomous snake in Norway. "Orm" means worm. "Hogg" is the movement one does when swinging an axe or sword. In the context of vipers it refers to when they strike their prey.
I have no snake fangs or venom though. I "slyng" instead.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 6:56pm

I joined the forum back when I had just started grad school. Seemed apt for going into my 17th year of schooling. But past Grad School now I'm still learning, recently been looking into the history of airguns, types of air release valves, and the like. Also expanding my ability to can food (salsa last year, added applesauce today).

Helps keep me sane to keep learning and practicing.Still a Perpetual Student though perhaps I could have expressed that better.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 12:05am

Canning is awesome. I love preserving food. I invested in a freeze dryer recently and have been having a lot of fun with it. Problem is I just eat the freeze dried food pretty rapidly and haven't really preserved anything.

As far as my handle goes, I just wanted a handle that seemed odd and had somewhat clashing ideas.  Goober does describe me, or so many who know me might say. Admittedly, I made this handle when I was 12 but I've always liked it, so I continue to use it.

John R.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 4:31am

Judo- because I did a lot of judo around when I made the name
P- Because of my first name

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 9:22am

I haven't looked at freeze drying at all. That sounds fun but expensive  Grin

It'd be nice to play with even just for playing around with flavors in cooking. Freeze dried fruit adds an entirely different dimension in baking.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: WHY is your handle ?
Reply #13 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 4:25pm

I bought an Xbox 360 from Woolworths (Pretty much just as the company collapsed which was clever. Had a reciept for a shop that didn't exist around 2 months after my purchase) and was finally joining my friends in the world of online gaming. I needed an Xbox Live account name and this was back in the days of rAnDoM humour where if something was crazy and off-the-wall it was cool. Apparently. I was trying to come up with something random and stupid and came up with KickTheOtter. No idea why. I used that on here for a while but everyone was shortening it to Kick so I went with that. I quite like it as a nickname now. A lot of people only know me by that name now Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Re: WHY is your handle ?
Reply #14 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 4:39pm

Mine comes from the movie Lightning Jack but I never have actually seen the movie.

I’ve done a bit of canning my myself, it is a good way for preserving a lot of food if you have the time because it can be quite tedious. Never done any freeze drying.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)