Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lars Anderson on Comanche Archery (Read 2618 times)
Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Re: Lars Anderson on Comanche Archery
Reply #15 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 5:29am

Morphy wrote on Oct 6th, 2021 at 10:36am:
EDIT: Heres what it looks like pulling a war bow of legit battle weight from back in the day. You aint shooting 3 shots with one of these like Lars does. Neither is he for that matter. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/1k9p9ChbomI?feature=share

I remember watching a video of lars rapid shooting with a ~60lb bow, and while things slowed down a little, it was still very fast. I see the application for rapid shooting lighter bows in horseback archery (which is predominantly close range-stuff), and the heavy war bows for ground-based work at longer distances. It would be interesting to compare energies of a 60lb bow at 60ft, and 145lb 'war bow' at 600ft.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 9:30am

Archaic Arms wrote on Oct 9th, 2021 at 5:29am:
Morphy wrote on Oct 6th, 2021 at 10:36am:
EDIT: Heres what it looks like pulling a war bow of legit battle weight from back in the day. You aint shooting 3 shots with one of these like Lars does. Neither is he for that matter. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/1k9p9ChbomI?feature=share

I remember watching a video of lars rapid shooting with a ~60lb bow, and while things slowed down a little, it was still very fast. I see the application for rapid shooting lighter bows in horseback archery (which is predominantly close range-stuff), and the heavy war bows for ground-based work at longer distances. It would be interesting to compare energies of a 60lb bow at 60ft, and 145lb 'war bow' at 600ft.

Do you have a link for that? Im wondering if hes doing full draws and hitting anchors. But yea, if that’s the case then it’s impressive. I think actually the types of bows the plains Indians used for their style of combat were probably close to ideal.

Imagine youre in a group of settlers. You do your first volley, kill maybe 25% of the charge and now you have a couple dozen famously fierce warriors riding around you on horses at 25 ft/ 8 meters or less shooting arrows at you. That’s how I imagine they did things. Thinking of the bow more as a medium range dagger than what we typically think of as a bow being, i.e. long range volleys. I bet that wouldve been incredibly effective. Of course it would also explain why repeating weapons destroyed them. That tactic would be suicide once the settlers had revolvers and lever action rifles.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2021 at 12:24pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #17 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 12:30pm

Archaic Arms wrote on Oct 9th, 2021 at 5:29am:
It would be interesting to compare energies of a 60lb bow at 60ft, and 145lb 'war bow' at 600ft.

exactly what i was thinking
Morphy wrote on Oct 9th, 2021 at 9:30am:
Do you have a link for that?

found this https://youtu.be/8ykz1sp1s7o dont know if it counts

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #18 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 12:46pm

Good find Sarosh! Yea that is about what you would expect. Looks like he had a good 8 or more inches of arrow hanging off probably bringing him to about 40-45 pounds of pull. I think I “might” have pulled 40 a few times with pinch grip back when I was shooting a lot but it’s actually way harder than it sounds.

One would think pinch grip would be pretty good since it would give such a clean release but yeah unfortunately the difficulty will get ya unless you have superhuman finger strength.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Oct 13th, 2021 at 2:33pm

Its 60@22 .

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #20 - Oct 13th, 2021 at 3:14pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Oct 13th, 2021 at 2:33pm:
Its 60@22 .

That would be astonishing to pull that much with a finger grip but im sure some could. You could tell it was crazy hard to pull.

But lets say that guys an outlier. Even if Native Americans could shoot twice as fast with a 60# bow they still wouldnt be breaking any records on speed shooting. Which is why I suspect they werent actually shooting 60# bows with pinch grip.

Think about it...a 45# bow is more than enough to kill a person or deer. Using a 60# one would slow your shooting and not kill them anymore dead than a 45#. Essentially its like a video game with Damage per second. If both bows can kill with one shot then its the bow with the faster reload and easier to shoot that you would use.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Oct 26th, 2021 at 1:06am

Just a heads up, the draw used by Lars in the video (4:13) is a hybrid pinch draw. There is a pinch component with fingers under also pulling the string. The hybrid pinch draw is an extremely common draw from around the world, it just doesn’t get much attention compared to split finger (Mediterranean) or thumb draw. Pure pinch draws exist but are relatively rare, especially since they’re so limiting. The hybrid pinch draw doesn’t have the same restrictions. Lars’ grip with it looks flimsy, there often is different finger placement than what he does.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man)