Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lars Anderson on Comanche Archery (Read 2619 times)
Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Lars Anderson on Comanche Archery
Oct 3rd, 2021 at 6:21am

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Lars Anderson on Comanche Archery
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2021 at 11:35am

Good vid. Thanks for the  link Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2021 at 3:18pm

I see a lot of resemblance with slinging, with all those different styles of casting an arrow and ways of gripping the bow and arrow
Surprised that the comance managed to keep that much territory that far in time

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2021 at 10:36am

So much of what he professes probably breaks down quickly when using war bows. His speed would not be that impressive if shooting heavy bows and heavy bows is what wouldve been used for war.

As for this specifically who knows...I do know exactly how plains indian bows perform having made my fair share and shooting an arrow 100 yards and hitting a target is nothing more than luck using one of those.  Hell it would be mostly luck with a compound bow. They werent made to shoot far. They are actually extremely inefficient but excellent for charging next to a buffalo and shooting it point blank.

Ive heard of the reload speed of plains indians. I think its possible to have high reload speed but you are going to sacrifice a lot of power and accuracy so its definitely not the only thing to look into.

Sorry Lars Anderson is definitely a controversial figure if youve been in the community for any length of time.

This is Capt. Party Pooper signing out.  Wink

EDIT: Heres what it looks like pulling a war bow of legit battle weight from back in the day. You aint shooting 3 shots with one of these like Lars does. Neither is he for that matter.  Wink

https://youtube.com/shorts/1k9p9ChbomI?feature=share

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2021 at 12:52pm

I was thinking if he can choose which eyelid to hit maybe he can get away with lower power bows

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2021 at 1:24pm

I don't think the Comanche were a uniform army or fought in that style, like the past armies of Europe and Asia that utilized such heavy warbows, meant to be used in ranks of organized foot archers. Neither do I think that the American troops or cowboys during this time wore armor anymore. So I think 40-50 pound bows is sufficient for that era and a guerilla type of battle.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2021 at 12:22am

The comanche as with many plains Indians used the style best suited for their weapon choice. They were horse archers with inefficient bows so their tactic was charging at the enemy, hope you all dont die after the first volley and then pin cushion the settlers with multiple arrows each. Thats a hell of a tactic but it worked for years.

My skepticism on Lars Anderson is not all based on this video. But since the video references his previous "triumphs" its fair game pointing out they are largely nonsense in real world condtions.

Actually this particular video is much more believable in some sense. Some of the things are obviously wrong and not just wrong but so wrong that anyone whos picked up a bow and shot it would instantly question such claims. Such as the 100 yard shots that seemed to be referenced in quotes from the day. Dont even bother referencing it if it cant be true.

But the fast shooting is probably on point. The accuracy im going to make a reasonable guess and say is mostly BS. Those types of bows are simply not very accurate even standing still shooting a still target. Throw in adrenaline and bouncing horses and their success was probably largely to do with fast reload speed and extreme mobility as opposed to the weapon itself. This is just me nitpicking but eh... I have to nitpick this guy.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2021 at 2:54pm

I do enjoy Lars' videos.  He's definitely got tons of skill at what he does.  Although I don't know how much this would translate into actual battle.  Target shooting is one thing, but there are many other factors to consider.  Morphy named several concerning the chaos that could possibly be going on, but it's also going to be very different when your target is trying to kill you too.  That pinpoint hit may not be as achievable anymore.

On the speed shooting, I think it's super cool to watch.  But in practice I think it would just be a good way to use up all your arrows in a very short amount of time.  The idea of putting 5 arrows in the air at once is definitely an amazing feat.  But in battle, if your aim is off, you've just wasted 5 arrows.  And if your first one hits the mark, you've just wasted every other arrow behind it.  I suppose it could be used to put a large volume in the air at once.

Just as a side note, in his videos I do wish Lars gave the draw weight of his bows.  Specifically the weight at that very short draw he uses.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2021 at 7:16pm

Ha!  This popped up in my recommended.  Video from the guy who made the bow for Lars.

https://youtu.be/AMWOUCuZ-kQ

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2021 at 9:02pm

That is some instinctive shooting. Love it!

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 4:49am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Oct 7th, 2021 at 7:16pm:
Ha!  This popped up in my recommended.  Video from the guy who made the bow for Lars.

nice!
did they use pinch draw? if yes can they go heavy with that?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 8:27am

I don't remember him mentioning a pinch draw in the video.  But I'm with you on that.  I think 45 lb could be a bit tough that grip.  He may also just not be using a full draw.

I looked through it again and in some places it looks like he is, but it's hard to tell.  At the end of the video he said instructional videos will be coming, so I would assume that's something he's going to cover.  It should be interesting.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 11:11am

I really like the idea of mixing it up with being on the move and multiple targets. Maybe the same should be tried with slinging... Might need more of a sleek speed shooting sling but I think this could be done. Hmmm...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 4:58pm

Kick wrote on Oct 8th, 2021 at 11:11am:
I really like the idea of mixing it up with being on the move and multiple targets. Maybe the same should be tried with slinging... Might need more of a sleek speed shooting sling but I think this could be done. Hmmm...

You and I are of the same mind.  Cool

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 6:13pm

Sarosh wrote on Oct 8th, 2021 at 4:49am:

nice!
did they use pinch draw? if yes can they go heavy with that?

With a true pinch draw even with bulbed or grooved nocks you will struggle to get more than 45 or so pounds.

Many of these bows if pulled to full draw for the design could pull as much as 80 pounds but that wouldve been impossible to do. So it was pinch and pull until the weight of the pull naturally pulled it free of the fingers.

This is a degree of instinctive shooting thats tough to imagine for even modern day instictive shooters but given that their main weapon was the horse combined with the bow and their hunting style naturally reflected riding up along side the animal it was natural to do the same in battle. In this sense you dont really need great long range accuracy. You need extreme mobility and really fast shooting and reloading at targets that are quite close. Both power, range and accuracy take a back seat.

Its really an effective but seemingly illogical tool set in terms of fighting tactics.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)