Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
History of throwing (Read 658 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

History of throwing
Oct 2nd, 2021 at 10:38am

This is tangentially related to our concerns-- humans are just anatomically good at throwing things. But what stuck out for me was the point about archaeologists not being able to use artifacts, and hence thinking "hmm this can't be thrown". It's reminiscent of Thom Richardson slinging horribly and hence saying "the sling was a short range, ineffective weapon"

https://www.sapiens.org/biology/evolution-throwing/?fbclid=IwAR03chWCyUBjAvtvP0d...

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: History of throwing
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 1:16pm

after watching a plumber making and flying a hoverbike https://youtu.be/soxxPyaAT1k
I realized that practice/skill can outdo science and tech.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2021 at 11:10am

Great article! And yeah it is almost funny that a load of weedy archaeologists were barely getting the javelin out of their hands so said "It must have been for thrusting..." rather than admit they couldn't throw a spear to literally save their lives  Grin

There must be so many tools that have been underestimated and cast aside as near useless because the person describing it had no idea how to use it. In this case it was a spear, something super recognisable and "understood" as to how it works and it was STILL misunderstood.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2021 at 5:01pm

I like the fact that the athletes said, yes, this is clearly made for throwing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)