Send Topic Print
Reverse Grip Slinging (Read 799 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reverse Grip Slinging
Oct 2nd, 2021 at 10:34am

The discussion in this thread inspired me to try this: https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1598337147

https://youtu.be/cFBfAJpdM0g

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Reverse Grip Slinging
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 7:23pm

A great video as always joe.
First time we got views of your house , looks like a lovely spot.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 9:04pm

Thanks man!  I think the house has been in a couple others, but yeah, it's usually just a corner or something in frame.  I do have the advantage of just being able to walk out the door and sling.  It's not just the size of my yard, but I also don't have any neighbors on two sides.  So things can go flying out there and it doesn't matter.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2021 at 10:53am

You got surprisingly good with that grip. I was expecting it to be almost impossible to get them going anywhere.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Happydrow

Slinging Rocks!

Los Angeles, California
Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2021 at 2:08pm

Great video Joe! Now I gotta give this a try with tennis balls. You were using an underhand rotation release, did you happen to play with an overhand rotation release?

A few martial arts weapons (rope dart/meteor hammer/whips) can use a reverse grip on the cords. Got me thinking of which directional rotation we use the most since it changes all the time.

Anyways nice video. Loved the use of ice balls too.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2021 at 4:31pm

@Kick - I'm right there with you.  Before starting the session, I knew in general it was going to work.  But I was surprised how quickly I was able to adjust for the new grip.  I didn't get any where near as accurate (specifically on the target slinging) as with my normal throw.  The sample size is very small and I didn't keep track of numbers, but I would put my accuracy with the reverse grip at around 20-30% as what I do with a normal grip.  That would obviously increase with practice.

@Happydrow - Yes, definitely give it a try and let us know how it goes!  I did not try overhand.  The underhand rotation with an underhand/sidearm release matches much more closely with my normal throw that I fell into it instinctually.  A test with overhand is a good idea though.  I'll make up another batch of ice and give it a try.

And yes.  Ice is great to use!  You just need to be somewhere cold, or very close to your freezer.  Kick turned on to ice balls shortly after I joined the forum.  Lots of waiting for your ammo to freeze, but they're cheap to make, give you a consistent size/weight projectile, and don't need to be gathered up afterward.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 4:53am

Joe, I have no doubt about your success. Because my first tests showed that it worked. On the other side, I did not know if this style could satisfy a "modern" slinger.
Anyway, congratulations on this wonderful video.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 8:46am

Nice one, ill have to try that.
A bit of delayed release could be useful on occasion Smiley

You tried the 'mamba' iceball sling yet ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 4:11pm

TOMBELAINE wrote on Oct 4th, 2021 at 4:53am:
I did not know if this style could satisfy a "modern" slinger.

Well, there are already a couple replies on this post about trying it out.  So we'll see.  Smiley

I agree though.  I don't think this style of throwing would become someone's main style.  But the thing about it is it's easy enough that anyone can give it shot when out slinging.  I think it might be more suited to longer and thinner cords though.  I could see this style not working very well with a shorter sling.  Although hat's something else that could be an interesting test.

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 4th, 2021 at 8:46am:
You tried the 'mamba' iceball sling yet ?

Not yet.  The recording for that video was actually done before I got the package.  I've got some more ice going in the freezer to try this grip with an overhand throw (hopefully this weekend).  Sounds like a good time to break that bad boy out.  Cool

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2021 at 4:33pm

You made that look way less awkward than I imagined in my head. Nice one Joe!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick)