Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Favorite range/lead sling (Read 528 times)
jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Favorite range/lead sling
Sep 27th, 2021 at 8:33pm

What is your favorite sling design/material/length for distance or slinging lead

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Favorite range/lead sling
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2021 at 8:56pm

Dyneema has great potential for lead. But Sarosh has shown that super skinny cords aren’t necessarily the best.

What distance are you chasing

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2021 at 4:35am

4mm round braid cords have been my overall favorite sling cord for all purposes for remarkably long now (considering I change between sling kinds and types A LOT, I always return back to these if I can)

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2021 at 12:34pm

I tend to go for a small leather pouch and 2mm masons cord for a longer sling for lighter ammo.

Simple seems to work best for pure distance.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2021 at 6:32pm

https://youtu.be/DZ4XJ5qnNbU
In the video I used a 30" paracord sling with a pouch cut from a leather belt, but when I briefly revisited it off camera with a UHMWPE ("dyneema") sling (of the same length), the results weren't wholly different. The only difference I noticed was that I could throw bigger stones further with the UHMPWE sling, but I think that is down to better release knot grip/ and or more aerodynamic and efficient cords + pouch. What I take away from that is that it's the length that determines max velocity, and any added sling weight/drag effects the efficiency of the sling. For example say the light sling throws 50g projectile 70m/s and a heavier sling throws 50g projectile 60m/s but can throw get back to 70m/s by dropping the projectile weigh to say 35g. I believe there is a velocity cap for a given length, and so while the light sling can throw a 50g projectile 70m/s, it won't throw a 40g projectile any faster. I also think there is an optimum projectile weight + sling weight combination for the biomechanical motion, because if a sling is "too" light then a projectile that would feel fine in a heavy sling may  feel less wieldy in the light one. This is purely conjecture based on what I've found, and is unsubstantiated by any hard data, but there we are.
My ideal long-range sling would be the same model I use for accuracy shooting (cortaillod), but 30". I say 'would be' because I haven't finished it yet. Tongue

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)