Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The Journey to find the best sling design (Read 3333 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: The Journey to find the best sling design
Reply #30 - Oct 13th, 2021 at 6:27pm

Yep practice is key!!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Oct 13th, 2021 at 6:31pm

@Jaegoor: yes I do want to get good and I have been practicing  my accuracy for about a year and a half. I have gotten fairly good. But, this is not the reason I want to find the best sling design. I like to make and engineer things and there has to be a sling design that is better than any others previously made. I want to keep experimenting until I find a very good design.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #32 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 8:04am

The sling looks good, but a pretty standard design.  Is there a particular part of it that you're focusing your attention on first?

I'm also curious if there are specific tests you're planning to use to compare one sling to another.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #33 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 9:48am

Jaegoor wrote on Oct 13th, 2021 at 6:03pm:
Ich slinge nun schon wirklich lange. Und immer wieder kommt die Frage nach dem besten Design. Dem besten Stil. Steine bis 500 g.  Grin warum? Kann man machen. Für Anfänger ein No Go. Welches Material. Usw. Sie wollen gut werden? Wählen sie ein Design. Einen Stil. Trainieren sie Konsequent. Ganz einfach.

wahre und weise Worte

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 10:03am

I guess my plan right now is to make different groups of slings one group at a time, and each group will have a specific trait to it such as efficiency, power, distance, etc, and keep fine tuning the best design in each until I get it the best it can possibly be then once I have the best sling for each trait, I will attempt to combine them all. I don’t know if it is possible to have a sling that is best in accuracy or not but I’ll try to make one but I’ll save it for last. The first trait I’m starting with is efficiency. And the first slings from each group will be closer to “standard design” and get further away if the trait improves.

As far as testing goes, I throw a few dozen rocks of randomish sizes. For distance it would be how far it goes (obviously), for power how much damage it does, for efficiency how fast and clean of a release it is without losing much power or speed. If I can think of anything else I will add it to this list.
For accuracy I will have to use prolly at least 100 rocks for each test that is why I’m saving it for last, and the fact that it probably will be more random designs. I could make some videos too Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #35 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 1:32pm

I made a similar one as you. With a very stiff 6 mm polyester retention cord + wrist loop, and a very light and and very flexible 2 mm polyester release cord with small release tab.
It's really great ! it combines the best of both flexible and stiff slings.  The pouch orientation control of a stiff
sling with the swift quick and efficient release of a very light and flexible release cord. Previously it was always one or the other for me. I knew of this design principle for a long time but never experimented with it.  This is definitely how I will make my conventional slings from now on. Keep the stiffness and thickness in the retention cord, and the lightness and flexibility in the release cord.  I haven't felt any other sling design with performance that is this close to a Y-sling. As the english would say, bloody fantastic ! Highly recommend other slingers here to try this out. I won't be going back to symmetric conventional slings that have either a stiff release and retention cord, or floppy retention and release cord after this.  All the ''stiffening'' of a sling should remain in the retention cord from now on!  Thanks LJ. I think I am going to be popping out some cool slings following this design principle.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 2:42pm

@J: You’re welcome. I hope my final sling design will be even better  Smiley

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 3:00pm

This first design I came up with though is the only sling that I’ve ever made that when I use it it I release early. Using it must be a lot closer to throwing because I don’t even feel any resistance at all. I bet someone who has never been slinging would be able to get accurate a lot faster than they used a standard design.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #38 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 5:44pm

This design perfected would be as following I think. The sling being of modular construction. First, the retention cord made of a stiff/tightly braided cord that resists twisting and tangling, followed by a pouch tapered downwards from the stiffness of the retention cord towards the flexibility of the release cord. So a ''tapered'' pouch that tapers down in terms of stiffness. This would perfect it.  In contrast to a Balearic sling, where the taper ends at the end of the release cord (and a very large ''belly'' of the release cord becomes defacto part of the pouch, increasing delay, friction, etc...) the taper here instead would end at the end of the pouch where it meets the release cord, and the release cord itself will not continue tapering, but instead be uniform in size, thin and flexible.  (in contrast to a Balearic sling, where the release cord is wide and thick and only becomes gradually thinner towards the ''top''.)

The pouch and retention cord will last really long and can be integral or modular. The thin
release cords should be modular I think so they can be easily replaced when worn out, since this part
is exposed to the greatest wear and tear.

I am not a fan of the term ''early release''. A sling either releases the projectile ''on time'' or it releases ''late''.  Slings with thick and stiff release cords and/or ''fat bellies'' will release very late compared to one with a very thin release cord.
An ''early release'' would be  a fitting term for a release of the stone before one lets go of the trigger. That'd be an accident and unwanted.  Wink

So yes to what you said, the ''on time'' release is excellent, and it does make it feel more intuitive and also easier to learn for beginners.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 7:41pm

@J: Yeah I didn’t really want to use “early release” I just couldn’t  really think of anything to describe it, maybe “faster release” would make more sense.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark)