Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The Journey to find the best sling design (Read 3332 times)
Lightning Jack
Ex Member

The Journey to find the best sling design
Sep 25th, 2021 at 9:22pm

I am on a journey to find the best sling design. The most efficient, accurate sling design using any materials, pouch shape, technique (braiding, weaving, whipping cords to a pouch etc.), number of cords 1, 2, 3, or 4. There are almost infinite combinations so the journey will be difficult but I am going to try. Any tips, advice, or any useful information any of you might have would be greatly appreciated. I believe have made one discovery on this journey so far and that is if you measure your wing span and divide it by two, that will give you your optimal sling length. And I already know about asymmetrical sling designs but I don’t think that is the best sling design. I even am going to test coconut husk fiber twine which is actually pretty cheap.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: The Journey to find the best sling design
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2021 at 10:11pm

Well my 2 cents .....you definitely want a cinching finger loop, and for material dyneema and Kevlar are extremely efficient . Lightweight unbelievable  strength, very low stretch and the best material in my opinion

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2021 at 11:04pm

The journey is worth it, but remember that the sling does nothing without a slinger. A highly skilled slinger with a sub-optimal sling will beat the “perfect” sling in the hands of a novice. If you don’t put a lot of time in with the same sling because you’re always changing the design… you will remain a novice for much longer.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 5:48am

@LJ.
Greetings,
Please, enjoy your search for YOUR perfect sling design.

I suspect, in the end you will find the perfect design for  YOU  👍

In my early days of slinging, ( was it really 2 years ago) I made a series of slings but settled with the easiest, nastiest sling in my collection. The 7 th one I made .... A seat belt sling.
A short piece of seat belt and 2 lengths of paracord.
It takes everything from a tennis ball, golf ball, rough rock, perfect rock, juggling ball, apples, conkers and quite a few  er "odd" things ...listed in another thread.
It's getting close to wearing out but it will be replaced.
The reason I like it is its versatility.
I may change my mind .... The blue cotton Balearic is a joy but only for rocks.
So, .......so far seat belt number 7 is my perfect design.

Good luck in your search 

Cheers

Zud   Smiley

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 5:52am

I don't think there is a best design. But there are different approaches and philosophies to slinging and sling construction , and as to what is the most effective. There are so many ways to make a sling and use it. It's good to think outside of the box

Where I draw the line in terms of sling design is the adding of wood / metallic ''triggers'' or ''solid retention sticks''. I don't have anything against it when others try it and its cool but I am not interested in it. For me personally this adds too much complexity. I want my slings to be build solely out of flexible materials.  Variable braids and levels of cord stiffness makes the sling complex enough for me. Even that puts me off sometimes and I want to go back to using the simplest sling I have and rely solely on my own skill and adaptation to such a sling. For example a simple thin leather pouch with two thin flexible cords tied to it. I feel I can make due with such a sling and at the end of the day they send the rock flying and very efficiently as well, because simple slings tend to be light, and aerodynamic. My advice: think simple in terms of design and practice a lot, and accomodate your style and grip that works most in harmony with the sling you are using.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2021 at 3:14pm by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 8:20am

Yeah different slings suit different purposes.

After 35 years and trying pretty much every sling there is and Inventing quite a few new  ones.
The best all-round pouch design is a riveted cap Paul.
Add paracords and a sliding finger loop and it's good for pretty much everything except wet stuff (leather does not like getting wet) and discs.
And I invented alternatives for those.

I have yet to try riveting polyurethane, but it's on my list whistle

A lot depends on what ammo you use.
I use whatever is around, so for me, versatility matters more than a sling like a Balearic split pouch that is only good for a narrow range of ammo.

I also like to keep my sling scrunched up in my back pocket. So that's a major factor as well.

Being able to change cords easily. Either for different lengths or when I wear a release cord out, is also important to me.

So in my case it's more specifically about the pouch than the overall sling.
Cord pairs I can change, quickly and easily for different purposes.
A good pouch should last a lifetime or until you lose it Sad
And that's what my cap Paul design slings do.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 8:24am

I dont think the half your wingspan is specific enough personally. It doesnt take into account ammo weight which I think plays a factor in determining ideal sling length.

I think LJ if I had to give you one piece of advice it would be before you do *anything* it would be wise to define everything really well/specifically.

What is the "best"? Best in accuracy? If so best with stones? Best with accuracy while being good for hunting? Best in accuracy with the highest efficiency or speed potential? Best in accuracy when using slightly inconsistent stones? See I dont think all these things are necessarily the same.

For example Ive had great success with sleek paracord apaches and perfect stone/concrete ammunition. But then for larger diameter ammo like baseballs, tennis balls etc I prefer balearic slings.

So anyways...yea thats the first part and the second part is whatever you come up with should be easily explainable (showing you understand it well) and easily reproducible by others (showing its not just personal bias/preference)

And that is that! Good luck and I look forward to what you find! Also dont be afraid to consult ancient Turkish texts. I hear they have all the secrets.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2021 at 5:02pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 9:36am

@nooneofconsequence I have spent many hours and thousands and thousands of throws working on accuracy, I’m fairly accurate.

@zud I may only find the best sling for me but I think that it will be able to be modified to fit other people as well but if this isn’t the case, then perhaps that in finding my perfect sling the things I learn could help others in finding theirs.

@Morphy the best sling design is one that has the most power, the best accuracy, the longest range, is the most efficient, and basically the best in every way possible.

It will take a long time. Maybe even years (because I am pretty busy). It is something I have wanted to do for a couple years now. I’m not new to slinging at all I’ve made 60+ slings, two staff slings, and three boomerangs. I had been going on the forum for about a year then I decided to join this year. I also may make a YouTube channel sometime in the not to far future.

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 9:49am

After 70+ years on this planet, and expertise in a variety of disciplines, I believe I can unequivocally state that there is no "perfect" anything.  No perfect sling, firearm, musical instrument design, archer's bow or arrows, aircraft, recipe, partner, place to live.  None.  Nada.  Nil.  Zip. 

There is only What Works Best For You.  A handful of other may agree with you.  Other may not.  They don't matter.  You do.  Find what works best for you andbe happy with your finding.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 10:34am

StaffSlinger wrote on Sep 26th, 2021 at 9:49am:
After 70+ years on this planet, and expertise in a variety of disciplines, I believe I can unequivocally state that there is no "perfect" anything.  No perfect sling, firearm, musical instrument design, archer's bow or arrows, aircraft, recipe, partner, place to live.  None.  Nada.  Nil.  Zip. 

There is only What Works Best For You.  A handful of other may agree with you.  Other may not.  They don't matter.  You do.  Find what works best for you andbe happy with your finding.

Cant say anything against that

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 10:38am

While Im skeptical there is one best sling for all objectives I wish you luck LJ. I think we all want to find that and frankly any of us would be thrilled if you found out one design that is best.

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 10:44am

@staffslinger you are correct there is no such thing as a perfect anything. That is why it will not be the perfect sling, it will be the best sling that is possible to make. As I said above it may only be the best for me, but hopefully it will be able to be changed by others to fit them, such as the length or the weight of the sling etc. I still will learn a lot and it will be fun. Also for the tests I will be using stones not manufactured ammo.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 3:17pm

@LJ

Learning

And

Fun.

Important in life, paramount in slinging.

Go to it, learn, play, smile and share .
Cheers

Zud      Smiley

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 3:17pm

I think most of us search for the 'best' design when we get into slinging, and for me, it is the Cortaillod design (introduced to me via Jaegoor). It's a superb design, and I love it for loads of reasons.
Keep in mind that what constitutes 'best' is a series of qualities that you value most, and that will vary from person to person.  (as has already been stated)

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #14 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 3:22pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 26th, 2021 at 8:20am:
I use whatever is around, so for me, versatility matters more than a sling like a Balearic split pouch that is only good for a narrow range of ammo.

I don't know what your 'Balearics' look like, but I'd say they are the one of the most versatile pouch designs...
You can throw anything from a small 30g glande to a 1500g boulder using the same sling!

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy)