A new sling to name (Read 2245 times)
Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Re: A new sling to name
Reply #15 - Sep 16th, 2021 at 1:14pm

nooc - Yeah, that would be pretty good! My favorite is cross-eyed six fingered bucktooth sister kisser.

... and yes, we have some of those in the upstate area.

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

The United States of America
Reply #16 - Sep 17th, 2021 at 2:24am

Woo! Thanks for the shout out. When I saw the video it sparked my interest in slings but it also made me think about the pouch design. It probably works great with a specific sized projectile it is made for, such as a golf ball or baseball. It probably doesn't do well with smaller ammo.
     Because of that thought, I looked for other sling designs (and found this site). I think Mersa makes a better noodle so I made that one instead. Then I made a Rockman, then the Frankenstein "Egyptian" sling.
     One day, I will design an original and post a tutorial. I have a degree in mechanical engineering, designing is in my nature.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #17 - Sep 17th, 2021 at 2:55am

Please, it pains me to have the name of Humphrey taken in vain.... I mean the sloodle is blue or maybe more teal  but Humphrey is pale blue. A bit darker than duck egg, a bit paler than an afternoon sky.
Anyways, it's a while since I had A postcard from Humphrey, last I heard he was modelling as a dinosaur for magic eye pictures somewhere in California. He said the extra cardboard humps were a bit painful but as they paid him promptly in Marram grass he didn't mind too much.

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #18 - Sep 17th, 2021 at 2:59am

Sorry,  if the foregoing is a little confusing for some........

Humphrey is/was my pet camel. He is pale blue, lived in the coal hole, stands about 3 feet tall and has 3 humps.

I miss him.

Cheers

Zud     Smiley

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #19 - Sep 17th, 2021 at 3:22am

Notwithstanding the implausibility of a camel sending a text ( have you seen the size of a camels toes ?   !!!!)
I have received  text from Humphrey.
He says the magic eye deal was a short sighted move and he moved on and is now living in Pasadena.
He is puzzled but honoured that C_A and Morphy should suggest naming the sloodle after him but asks that no one try to use it as a bridle on him.
He feels that calling it the Humphrey noodle is unfair on Mo and suggests that instead if be called the Humphrey Mooodle.
Hoping that this meets with everyone's approval,

Cheers

Zud and Humphrey.      Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - Sep 17th, 2021 at 6:53am

Sir Missalot wrote on Sep 15th, 2021 at 4:54pm:
Okay, I'm embarrassed to ask... Who's Humphrey?

Not a clue, but apparently he's a :zig-zag interlocked double loop dogshank.

I mean I've never met the man, but that seems a bit harsh whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #21 - Sep 17th, 2021 at 6:59am

And it was a genuinely plucked out if the ether name.
Had no clue zud had the hump.
That said, between Morphy and zud - reality has a tendency to turn into a zig-zag double looped interlocked dogshank, so who knows ?

Best just to ask Humphrey.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #22 - Sep 17th, 2021 at 1:37pm

Whatever the case!...  Grin Its a nice looking sling for which better men than myself should name. Good find Sir Missalot. Rare that you actually find a design that might even be considered new or newish on this forum outside of a J thread.  Wink or possibly even a CA thread when he gets too much coffee (tea?) and a few spare hours near the old 3d printer.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #23 - Sep 17th, 2021 at 3:23pm

I did invite the chap who made the original video over for a chat.

Can't hurt Smiley

Essentially it's an evolution of the malik lund sling.

Of course with the colour, it could be a Hermione, unless of course that kind of thinking is sexist these days.
Anthropomorphism being what is, perhaps a neutral name.

Trevor ? I'm sure I once met a turkish female wrestler called 'trevor'.
Nice gal, particularly fine beard.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #24 - Sep 17th, 2021 at 4:41pm

Er,   sloodle ?   ?

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #25 - Sep 17th, 2021 at 4:47pm

Aaaanyhooo...  Here are my observations:

Color:
Hermione Teal with a hint of grass stains.

Assembly: 
More intricate than a 3 or 5 strand sheepshank sling but much less time consuming than a mersa or pj.  Getting it knotted together takes about 5 minutes, but then you have to fiddle around with the loops to get the proportions right and the loops all even.  Then you tighten everything by pressing a ball HARD into the pouch.  Then fiddle a little more.

Ammo retention:
My main complaint about the naked (unwoven) sheepshank slings is that spherical ammo either slips through the center or rolls off the side of the pouch.  This is definitely a quick and easy solution for using slippery spherical ammo like golf balls or tennis balls.  I agree with MikeG that rocks with any kind of rough surface or irregularities of shape could be counterproductive or downright disastrous if you get a nasty snag in the netting.

Release:
I made mine pretty flat and not to pouchy.  I like the way it releases early like a pj or a seatbelt sling.  I'm using unweighted tennis balls. Also, the pouch is very light so it has less of a pop and overswing like a pj, mersa, or cliff's woven paracord sling which are rather pouch-heavy.  Also, the light pouch offers more sensitivity for lightweight projectiles like unweighted tennis balls. 

Actual use:
Fitting a tennis ball into the netted pouch took a little getting used to.  I found that if you seat it hard into the center of the pouch as you load it, the net conforms to the ball and seats well.  After several throws, though, the net wants to elongate and skew diagonally, so I had to spread the outer loops a bit and massage it into place.

Durability:
I'm using tennis balls, so no wear.  BUT, because paracord is so slippery, I found that I had to tweak and adjust the knots and loops a lot after not so very many throws.  Also, I accidentally left it in the rain and figured I could try it wet.  I figured one good hard seating and everything would line back up nicely.  I also figured that pulling the knots tight while the paracord was wet would set the knotting more tightly.  I was wrong.  Slippy sliding all over the place.  Can't recommend using it wet.  I would imagine the wandering knots would also happen if you carried it in your pocket for very long.

Suggested improvements:
I'd like to try it again with another kind of synthetic braided cord that isn't as slippery as paracord.  I'd rather try that first rather than going to something like a heavy jute twine, because I want to be able to untie it and use the cord for something else.  With jute, once you set the knots, they're pretty much permanent.

Suggested niche:
Finding yourself with a friend who has a ball and 12 feet of paracord and saying, "Hey, want to see something cool?"  Or maybe if you have some rotten fruit or potatoes you need to disavow in a hurry and return the paracord quickly to its natural state.  It's not a collector's item, or even a keeper, but it lets you reuse the paracord for other purposes later, and it's more stable, especially for spheres, than the multi-strand sheepshank slings.

I'd say make one, play with it, and get the knowledge of another design under your belt.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #26 - Sep 17th, 2021 at 8:11pm

Sir M.,
You now have several name options for the sloodle.
May I have the temerity to suggest it's time for  a poll ?

Cheers

Zud     Smiley

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #27 - Sep 17th, 2021 at 9:43pm

Mr Ardvaark has ser forth to contact the YouTube contributor to get his opinion.  I would like to honor that process before we take our liberties.  I do appreciate your enthusiasm.  Believe me, I share it.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #28 - Sep 18th, 2021 at 8:26am

This humble contributor thanks you for your sense of honour and respect.

May I further suggest that when the situation is resolved we arrange a zoom cheers and raise a glass to the naming ?

With kindest regards,

Zud,    Smiley

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #29 - Sep 18th, 2021 at 2:47pm

any cause for celebration is cause for celebration Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy)