Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Impact Slinging - Stones Vs Bones (Read 1434 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Impact Slinging - Stones Vs Bones
Sep 13th, 2021 at 1:43pm

Following up the impact slinging tests I've done so far, I'm starting to get into some more interesting stuff.  This session does ultimately get away from the "big stone" aspect, but the concept is still the same.

Part 1: https://youtu.be/teFiX2IkX6U

***Update - October 25***

Part 2: https://youtu.be/VFyyededV0U
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2021 at 9:22pm by joe_meadmaker »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Impact Slinging - Stones Vs Bones
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 2:22pm

Great work Joe!!

So with ~62.7 J you broke a bone through plywood and linen padding with very little damage to the board.

Even assuming the dry bone was only half the strength of living bone that puts breaking bones through shields well into the realm of probability when considering sling stones in war couldve easily been 3 times more massive assuming a fist sized stone.

Combine that with the fact that gravity wouldve accelerated the larger stones to higher speeds and you are talking serious damage.

Setting aside the actual numbers one thing this does prove is that blunt force trauma can in fact deliver serious damage even with very little outside damage on the armor. Something for which there was some skepticism in the past.

As for the longitudinal hairline fracture in the bone I do wonder how much that affected the results. On one hand longitudinal splits in bows often have no effect on structural stability with the bow shooting just fine even with  massive "splits" but this isnt wood so I guess that remains a mystery for now.

Great stuff as usual!
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2021 at 8:28pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 7:37pm

Wow great video joe!!!
Perhaps you could get fresh bones from a butcher ?
Love the quality of your videos always enjoyable to watch
Keep it up

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 8:44pm

Thanks guys!

Morphy wrote on Sep 13th, 2021 at 2:22pm:
Setting aside the actual numbers one thing this does prove is that blunt force trauma can in fact deliver serious damage even with very little outside damage on the armor. Something for which there was some skepticism in the past.

Yes, this!  I'm hoping the next video will show this even more.  The next vid is basically just going to be a recreation of the same experiment, but with 3/4 inch plywood.  That will be much more resistant to breaking, so we'll get to see even more clearly if that happens.  I've got all the stuff ready but have fallen a little under the weather, so haven't done any recording yet.  Hopefully I'll have it within a couple weeks.

Mersa wrote on Sep 13th, 2021 at 7:37pm:
Perhaps you could get fresh bones from a butcher ?

I thought about that too and will check in the future.  It may get bumped to next year though.  I've got two more videos planned with all this impact testing stuff.  Add to that a pumpkin challenge, and hopefully some more 1-minute-can attempts, and I might have my year finished up.  We'll see how long Fall lasts before it's starts snowing.

IP Logged

yonderstone

The valiant never taste
of death but once.

Oregon
Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 2:00am

I havne't been around in a long while, and it's so good to see that y'all are out here doing amazing things still. I hope to get my health back to where I can start slinging again and finally post some videos.

I appreciate y'all. Thank you for the awesome video!

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 4:45am

Great work, Joe !
Most of bullets found in archeology are between 30 and 160 grammes.
Once again applause !

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 10:12am

Fantastic video !

And yes ' green' bones are a lot more flexible.

The force that's transmitted through the board and padding is pretty incredible.

Also got to give you kudos for accuracy with the long sling.
That's a lot harder than you make it look Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2021 at 1:43am

Nicely done Joe! 

… and game on for the pumpkin challenge. I can’t wait to see how it goes this year.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 25th, 2021 at 9:24pm

Here we go guys!  This took way longer to make than I originally thought it would.  Both in the recording, and the editing.  It's a long one.  But a lot of time was needed to tell the whole story.  Enjoy!

Stones Vs Bones Part 2 - https://youtu.be/VFyyededV0U

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Oct 25th, 2021 at 10:02pm

Very nice man. That must have taken a long time. So it appears the .75 inch plywood is a good minimum thickness. It took a real pounding.

Great work as usual. The detail and work that goes into them is very evident. Its all the shots you dont see and the editing that really adds up on top of the actual slinging.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2021 at 4:25am

Great video. Surprising results as well. I was sure that bone was going to be gone by the end. The destruction of the board is telling though. Even if it didn't break the bone, that sort of force hitting an arm is going to do a lot of tissue damage. You could still be out of a fight after a hit from one of those stones. Great stuff and I'm really looking forward to a shield test Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2021 at 5:50am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Oct 25th, 2021 at 9:24pm:
Stones Vs Bones Part 2 - https://youtu.be/VFyyededV0U

how many shots to make a hole on that plywood?

you put a lot of effort on these videos nice job

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Oct 26th, 2021 at 8:02am

Great video Joe!  It wouldn’t be much fun, but it does look like a good shield would keep someone in the fight for a long time even under a barrage of stones.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #13 - Oct 26th, 2021 at 10:34am

Thanks all!

@Morphy - The first session was on September 19th, and I recorded the wrap up on October 19.  So one month to record everything.  I knew that the the 3/4" was going to hold up much better based on my earlier impact tests, but it was still able to impress.  I've got it in my head that I want to do some tests with 5/8", but that's not going to be this year.

Sarosh wrote on Oct 26th, 2021 at 5:50am:
how many shots to make a hole on that plywood?

I don't have that information right now, but I should in a week or so (or whenever I get to it).  I didn't tally any hit totals while cutting the video together.  But I do want to go back through the hours of video and tally throw counts, target hits, and "diana" hits (quoted because the circle I made was 20 inches across, so it's slightly larger).  Once I do that I'll post the totals here.

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Oct 26th, 2021 at 8:02am:
It wouldn’t be much fun, but it does look like a good shield would keep someone in the fight for a long time even under a barrage of stones.

I think it would definitely have a chance to.  Although as Kick mentioned, there could be other concerns outside of just a bone break.  There are still so many questions I have that I hope to get answers to.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Oct 27th, 2021 at 2:42pm

That was very relaxing.
It's surprising how destressing it is watching someone destroy a piece of plywood with slung stones Thumbs Up

So thanks for that Smiley

I would love to come and play Smiley
maybe some day.

So I guess the question is - did our ancestors use plywood/laminated wooden shields ?

And would a piece of similiar thickness solid wood hold up better or worse than the plywood ?

I think you need to fnd a sawmill and get a nice slab of roughsawn timber Smiley

And i decided I would absolutely NOT be the person holding the shield for the tests Smiley

Great video !

We need to get you linked to david so you can get the views you deserve.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)