Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Worlds first? Reloadable 1 cord sling. (Read 6417 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Worlds first? Reloadable 1 cord sling.
Sep 13th, 2021 at 5:55am

I designed a sling that has only 1 main cord. Technically there are 2. The release cord runs through the hollow retention cord and is thus hidden.
It is only my first prototype but it works just like I expected. I think it has a lot of potential and will develop it further.

Gold star award wining thread

« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2021 at 7:18am by Curious Aardvark »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Worlds first? Reloadable 1 cord sling.
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 7:14am

Sooo, it uses a captured pouch ?

Not sure what benefits you'd get, but definitely a unique design Thumbs Up

I guess the lack of a flailing cord would make it useful, where space was tight, and as you said, potentially for fast reloading.

I think I'm going to have to make one Thumbs Up

Great idea Smiley

Although the bead looks a little big.

I've never been a fan of standard captured pouch slings, but this simplifies the cord setup and makes it a super pocket friendly sling.

Have a gold star !

You know that's got to be your sith sling this year.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 7:48am

Yes. There are many ways to design a captive release. I personally do not use Jax's method.
My method is simpler. A little loop on the retention cord that the release cord runs through.
Just small enough to stop the cord from going any further than needed.

Here is a design that function wise is the same as the 1 cord sling. But now
the two cords run paralel next to each other without any seperation between, because they intersect each other through 2 loops, 1 at pouch ( the loop created by the 2 legs of the pouch ) and one loop higher up that stops the release knot from going any further than needed.  Upon release of the sling the pouch immediately dumps the projectile with minimal interference and the sling, due to the captive release, only extends a few inches in length.

This is a simpler option compared to running the two cords inside of each other but it is a little less aerodynamic and clean looking.
But function wise the same and works great- it feels like there is only 1 cord. The feeling is exactly like slinging
a ball or stone with a cord tied to it. But this time no trailing cord. So it is a very simple and direct form of slinging.
Yes, the captive release makes it usuable in places with less space.

(left photo shows the sling in its released state, right when the projectile is loaded)

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 8:26am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Sep 13th, 2021 at 5:55am:
I designed a sling that has only 1 main cord. Technically there are 2. The release cord runs through the hollow retention cord and is thus hidden.
It is only my first prototype but it works just like I expected. I think it has a lot of potential and will develop it further.

Gold star award wining thread

amazing idea

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 9:45am

I’ve got an idea very similar. I really need to get back into sling building. I’ve been spoiled with too many good slings lately.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 11:13am

make it a stick for absolute spin control

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 11:49am

Sarosh wrote on Sep 13th, 2021 at 11:13am:

that would be the real staff sling

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 12:17pm

Here is another picture of the prototype. I shortened it a little to make it more practical, it's about 80 cm now.
The retention loop is very thin and looks insufficient, but remember it carries almost no load in constrast to the conventional type. This load is all on the release end as with all my y-slings. The retention loop only retains the sling after a throw and carries little of the projectile weight.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 12:27pm

A stick woud actually turn it into a simple thrower.
Assuming you mean use a hollow stick instead of the hollow release cord.

It's the flexibility that gives a sling power and versatility, plus sticks don't scrunch up and go into your pocket.

Yes I could make one that did. But what would be the point.

And yes, jaxs method - particularly his baseball sling, nearly killed Dave and caused me serious issues.

I figure standard 3mm for the retention sleeve and my masons cord for the release, should do it.

Have you got a template for your pouch ?
And how are you attaching the retention cord to the paracord sleeve at each end ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 1:27pm

Finding a way to attach the retention cord to the sleeve is the tricky part. I settled on stitching it on the sides of the mantle wall.
It doesn't seem to interfer with the sliding of the release cord through the mantle. Because I used a very thin cord for that, around 1mm. It slides freely with little friction (even without a projectile it will open.)

The pouch is nothing spectacular. A T-shape piece of leather with 3 holes. A lot of different templates can be used for Y or T-shaped pouches. I've come to prefer the T over the Y-shape and generally use woven T pouches (most durable) or leather T pouches. I like to fold the main leg of the T in double so it is a little cupped. The size of the T pouche should be dictated by the size of your ammo. This one I made for tennisballs and baseballs but the other one with the woven pouch is better for stones and metallic ammo.

I never had any accidents happen with my captive release Y or T slings and they've been the sling type I've solely been using the last month and have used them in the past. I never use a wide grip with them as I don't see the use for it. Always retention on the pinkie and running on the inside of my hand so both cords exit from the hand at the same place.

I have had problems and near accidents when tying a captive release to a conventional sling.
I agree it's the flexibility of a sling that gives it power. The pouch orientation of this sling is generally in-line
with the throw so sidearm = sidespin and vertical = backspin or topspin. The spin rate is a lot less than with a coventional sling
and in my experience the releases are very consistent.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 1:38pm

Great design idea J.  Thumbs Up

I might have to give one of those a try.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 1:46pm

I am currently making one that I think will be able to beat world records and reach ''apex-apoc'' claimed distances
with steel balles.

This prototype of mine is ''feeling'' to me like it cuts down on the wind resistance quite a bit.
My refined model for steel balls will feature a quarter-of-a-ball ''solid'' cupped pouch. You will see what I mean when it's ready.
The pouch won't be any larger than needed for the steel balls so the drag will be absolutely minimal
That combined with the long length (+1m) and 95g steel balls I think will give incredible velocities.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 1:47pm

New and impressive idea.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #13 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 2:58pm

@
J: leading authority in experimental slinging technology.

• less wind resistance
  • instant release
  • usable in tight(er) spaces

Any other benefits?

Sarosh wrote on Sep 13th, 2021 at 11:13am:

MikeG wrote on Sep 13th, 2021 at 11:49am:
that would be the real staff sling

Combined with the semisling we might finally have a weapon to rival the bow.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 2:50am

115 cm long, ~7 grams,
ultra-distance sling
90 g iron ball

The pouch template is ''halve a circle of leather'' with two cuts each quarter, so the corners can be folded in to form a ''quarter of a sphere'.
I've also used larger versions of these for shotgun slings which works excellent.

During construction of one of these slings, care have to be taken that the release cord slides freely through the retention ''sleeve''.
I think if it opens already simply by the momentum of an empty pouch when ''dry-firing'' the sling, it is good.
That way it will most certainly open with a pouch and a projectile. The friction of the cord moving in the sleeve will be absolute negligble.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2021 at 8:41am by AncientCraftwork »  

pouch_moel.png (41 KB | 37 )
pouch_moel.png

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15)