Send Topic Print
Why I Love Winter (Read 874 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Why I Love Winter
Sep 9th, 2021 at 9:34am

I run the opposite of most old farts.  Many of my family and friends have moved to Florida to avoid the cold.  If I was to move it would be farther north.  I love Winter and all that goes with it.  I'm just more comfortable in colder weather.  Besides that....
    You don't sweat as much in the Winter... hardly at all most of the time.  So you don't have to change clothes or shower quite as much.  In the Summer you have to  shower every day.  In the Winter every other day usually does it. 
     Through the Summer we are attacked by diseased parasitic insects.  Right now I'm dealing with chigger bites. Here in New Jersey we also have many ticks, our state bird is the mosquito, and we have Deer Flies and Greenheads.  Greenheads are a vile fly that lives by the seashore.  They are hateful, miserable, mean bugs that can drive you right off the beach.  Also there are Yellowjackets to contend with.  In the Winter I can be outside all day and not have to deal with one stinking bug.
     In the Winter I love to take scalding hot showers.  They are so hot they set off the smoke alarm.  In the Summer I would never release that much waste heat into a house that I'm already paying a fortune to keep cool.  The same applies to cooking.  I NEVER light the oven in Summer and use the stovetop very sparingly.  Almost all of my cooking is done in the microwave or in a crock pot that I place outside.  In the Winter I can cook any way I please.
    Winter and Fall have a lot of holidays.  Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, and Easter in the early Spring.
     In the Winter I can have a big campfire in the backyard.
     In the Winter I don't have to mow or edge the lawn or pull weeds. 
     In the Winter my Huskies and are comfortable and happy.  Plus we have snow.  Snow is beautiful and gets me a day off from school or sometimes work.  I love snow. 
   If I lived where it was hot all the time I would very much miss the beautiful Fall foliage.
     In the Summer there is stifling humidity and heat.  There is no way to get comfortable outside.  In the Winter if I get cold I just put on another coat. 
     Everyone talks about the lovely warm Summer weather and everyone wants to move to where it's hot all the time. I don't get it.  You can have your heat, humidity, sweat, blood sucking bugs, etc..   Come on Winter!
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2021 at 3:57pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Why I Love Winter
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2021 at 11:25am

I'm with you to a point.  When it's a mild and dry winter, that I love.  If it's dry and around 40-45 degrees outside (that's Fahrenheit), that's definitely one of my favorite times of year.

But if I never had to shovel snow again, drive down the highway at 10 mph because there's 5 inches of snow on it, or see the high temperature for the day is 1 degree, I would not have any complaints.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2021 at 2:15pm

I cant stand the summer. I like every other season just fine. But Summer is no bueno. Fall is my favorite season starting with Halloween. I always loved that holiday as a kid and Halloween means all the other holidays are on their way. The only and I mean only good reason to live in a place with a very hot summer is if you live there for the mild winters.

Winters here usually dont go much under 20-30 degrees F. Which is cold but not so cold that its unmanageable. A lot of the times its quite nice at around 40-50 degrees. Thats hoodie weather which is great because im in hoodies all year anyways but at least in the cooler weather I dont look like a maniac for doing it.  Grin

Fall and winter is the time I want to be out hiking around here. Its really peaceful. Just bliss. Give me a sling, a mushroom bag and a nice cool fall day and Im in heaven.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2021 at 4:54pm

We get 6 months of winter, and snow. ( most so far was 15feet, average is about maybe 8 to 11 feet) Lots of it, and the dogs love it. We cook on the woodstove only. Even coffee with a percolator.  I gotta start cutting firewood, gonna be an all winter project,  so i will get lean again. I usually cut all year. This year has been busy and crazy. We get weeks qhere it wont get above 10f,
We get a week of -40 at night. U usually cant tell the difference after it hits 0. Its all the same. Just layer up. I get acclimated quick, 2 months into winter, i got a light jacket and shorts on.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2021 at 10:21pm

Only thing i don't like about fall, winter and spring is the shorter days Angry

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 9:07am

walter wrote on Sep 9th, 2021 at 10:21pm:
Only thing i don't like about fall, winter and spring is the shorter days Angry

Agreed.  And I don't care much for rain in the Winter. If it's going to do anything let it snow.  Lots of snow.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 9:09am

If the Old Farmer's Almanac is right, and it usually is, I'll get my wish this Winter.

https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Old+Farmer%27s+Almanac+Winter+Prediction&qpvt...

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 4:37pm

I could put the following under pet peeves I guess.  Each year the delightful cool weather takes longer to arrive.  When I was a kid it would be cool already.  As it is we have a few more weeks of hot weather ahead of us.  October is the new September.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)