Send Topic Print
Misunderstood Lyrics (Read 1792 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Misunderstood Lyrics
Sep 4th, 2021 at 12:41pm

These days if you want the lyrics to a song that information, as is all information these days, is easily obtained.  This however wasn't always the case.
    In the days before the internet the only way to get the correct lyrics to a song was to buy the sheet music from a music store.  This was something only professional musicians did. 
    The rest of us would try to decipher the lyrics as best we could from a crackly AM radio.  Rock singers are infamous for slurring and garbling their words.  John Fogarty of Creedence Clearwater Revival is one of the worst offenders. Prior to the internet the only Creedence song I understood all of the lyrics to was Suzie Q.  Here's just one small example of countless others.  In Green River Fogarty sings "Flat car riders and cross tie walkers."  For decades I heard "black on righties and cross high waters."
     Sly and the Family Stone's lyrics were often as difficult to comprehend.  Again, this sounds stupid now, but back then NO ONE knew the proper lyrics to songs.  We all just did the best we could.  In "Dance to the Music," a great song, the first verse is easy enough to understand.
All we need is a drummer for people who always need a beat, yeah!
The next verse sounded like I'm gonna add a little bird talk and make it easy to move your feet.  It is actually I'm gonna add a little guitar and make it easy to move your feet.
I'm gonna add some bottoms the help the girls with a just one eye = I'm gonna add some bottom so that the dancers just won't hide.
You might like to hear my organ, I said it's my kind of guy = You might like to hear my organ, I said him Ride Sally Ride now.
   If I could hear to the Horned Toad, Cynthia on the drums = if I could hear the horns blowing, Cynthia on the throne.
Cynthia girl has got a message that says All is well, call out = Cynthia and Jerry got a message they're saying, all the squares go home.
     As difficult as it is to imagine now there were countless Rock songs that none of us knew the proper lyrics to until the 90s and the advent of the internet.  But that didn't stop us from singing them.  No one could call you on your improper lyrics because no one knew for sure.  Anyone born in the 80s or prior knows exactly what I'm talking about. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn2PNlhvy8E
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2021 at 3:14pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Misunderstood Lyrics
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2021 at 7:42pm

Manfred Mann’s Earth Band’s version of “Blinded by the Light” (written by Bruce Springsteen) is famous for changing and messing up the lyrics to the chorus, to the point the meaning is lost and something else very different is heard.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2021 at 10:40pm

Even Jimi Hendrix would fake lyrics he didn't know for sure.  In his cover of "All Along the Watchtower" by Bob Dylan Hendrix gets very creative with one line. 
Business men they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth,
None of them along the line, know what any of it's worth.
Those are the proper lyrics.  Listen to what Hendrix sings at around 0:45.  It's obvious that he doesn't know the lyrics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLV4_xaYynY
    Oddly enough this doesn't detract from the song at all though it should. 

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2021 at 11:34am

Hirtius wrote on Sep 4th, 2021 at 7:42pm:
Manfred Mann’s Earth Band’s version of “Blinded by the Light” (written by Bruce Springsteen) is famous for changing and messing up the lyrics to the chorus, to the point the meaning is lost and something else very different is heard.

oh yeah the whole 'wrapped up like a douche'.  what most people hear.

Actually makes exactly as much sense as: 'wrecked/revved up like a deux'. what I think he's supposed to be singing.

That is one truly bizarre song !
I did read a 'translation' or explanation of all the slang used in the lyrics.

And it turns out to be about a young chap offering a woman a lift home after work.
As far as I remember Smiley 

as far as getting the lyrics goes. Most albums had the lyrics printed on the album sleeves.

Well most of the ones I bought did.
Only the really cheap repro albums came with plain white sleeves.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2021 at 9:48pm

Lyrics printed on album sleeves could be helpful but...  most kids didn't have money for albums. I didn't own many until my older teen years when I was working.  And you're certainly not going to have the album for every song you hear on the radio.  Also a lot of music was on cassette or eight track.  So even with lyrics often but not always printed on album sleeves there still was a lot of confusion about the proper lyrics to popular songs.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2021 at 10:18am

I grew up in the transition from cassettes to CDs and, even with CDs having the little booklet, sometimes the singers didn't stick to their own lyrics! I remember it happening a few times but I'm not sure which bands. I think Kurt Cobain had this habit of varying lyrics, particularly with live performances.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2021 at 2:39pm

Jimi Hendrix again, Purple Haze : " 'Scuse me while I kiss this guy".

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2021 at 9:22am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTH9MKiYvM0

she's just brilliant !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-GqOpWAtfE

I remember a sketch about wuthering heights, but haven't tracked it down yet Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2021 at 1:09pm

Sometimes words can't be understood because they literally are gibberish.  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g6YxkSqL20

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2021 at 2:47pm

I mean it 'sounds' like a foreign language, but then again it doesn't lol

where on earth did you drag that from joe ?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2021 at 3:33pm

Your perception is exactly correct.  My dad pointed me to that song a while back.  It's by an Italian singer, but he wanted to do a song that sounded like English.  That's what came out.  Was a huge hit too.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 2:14pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 9th, 2021 at 9:22am:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTH9MKiYvM0

she's just brilliant !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-GqOpWAtfE

I remember a sketch about wuthering heights, but haven't tracked it down yet Smiley

Brilliant is the word.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 2:18pm

Here's an oldie with badly garbled pronunciation that I never understood the lyrics to until fairly recently.  Amazon Music posts the lyrics to every song they play so they came to me accidentally.  It's A Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress  by the Hollies.  It seems like he's deliberately trying to make the lyrics unintelligible. Try to decipher the lyrics without cheating.  Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8XiNKsKyVk

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #13 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 8:30pm

Hot Dog, Jumping Frog, Alberts turkey ?

Smiley

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 8:04am

https://youtu.be/gavcjNniIvk

Pretty much every single manic Street Preachers song is just random gibberish.

You could understand it if he was singing in Welsh, but I think it's supposed to be English. noidea

@zud
Hot dog jumping for Albuquerque

Doesn't make any more sense, and I think that's the actual lyric.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar)