Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slingers at a Bushcraft show (Read 794 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Slingers at a Bushcraft show
Aug 31st, 2021 at 1:28pm

I was a crew volunteer at The Bushcraft Show near Wolverhampton, UK last weekend. I was on car parking duty at the main entrance and someone rolled up and and said "Are you David Morningstar?". It was TheMightyAslan!

When I was off duty I went around the show and we met up. I had a Balearic sling from Diego Camuñas with me to show to Sally Pointer (a big fibre / cordage / weaving / archaeology expert on YouTube) and so I gifted it to Aslan.

Its always great to meet another slinging.org member  Cool

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: Slingers at a Bushcraft show
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 6:27pm

Nice! It is a small slinging world indeed

IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 7:10pm

How cool is that!?!?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 9:33pm

That is very cool!  Thanks for sharing.  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2021 at 5:10pm

Nice one Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2021 at 2:38pm

David Morningstar wrote on Aug 31st, 2021 at 1:28pm:
Sally Pointer (a big fibre / cordage / weaving / archaeology expert on YouTube)

She's a member of the nettle group is she not? Awesome that you got to meet her and show off slinging Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TheMightyAslan
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Manchester / Caernarfon UK
Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 7:20pm

this completely slipped under my radar! I was just about to post a new thread about this so i'll just post it as a message below.

'Hello Everyone I just wanted to say a few words about the camaraderie on this forum and how its members often go above and beyond as ambassadors for our somewhat niche hobby.
An unrelated random hobby of mine includes building musical instruments and performing music at all types of events. At the end of August I was lucky enough to use my musical background take part in a Bushcraft camping event here in the UK. As I was driving up to the campgrounds with my dad I noticed a tall event organiser/volunteer with long hair and a stetson, I thought this chap looked incredibly familiar and by complete coincidence it just so happened to be our very own David Morningstar. Considering I was an absolute stranger to him I greeted David by telling him I recognised him as a member on this forum and Instantly he treated me as if I were an old friend and he rushed to show me the EDC sling he was carrying (with a very interesting wool pouch which I’d never seen before).
I felt extremely lucky getting to pick the brain of a slinging.org OG about what makes a comfortable sling, the physics of atlatls, trebuchets and bows, his experiences of going to Mallorca and taking part in Balearic competitions and even discussing the odd combination of finger and shoulder pain that you can get from too much strenuous practice. He even demonstrated the art of processing wool into cordage using a drop spindle, the man was an absolute institution of knowledge and I learnt so much from him in a very brief period of time.
After all of this though he very kindly gifted me a traditional Balearic sling made by Diego Camuñas which is now definitely one of my most treasured possessions along with my SITH slings from both Kick and JudoP.
Considering at this very event I got to play my music in front of the largest audience I’ve had post Covid and I got to meet bushcraft expert Ray Mears, the interaction with David Morningstar stood out as my fondest memory of the whole weekend. 
I just felt like I would have a bit of a ramble and let everyone know how grateful I am to be a small part of this community and its really cool to see how much of a fellowship this tiny slice of internet has.
Here’s hoping I get to make it to Mallorca next year for the next international so I can chuck rocks with more of you.'

haha cheers guys

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2021 at 3:44pm

You still have a sling of mine!? I honestly can't remember what I sent you so I would love to know what sling it is Cheesy Great to here it found a good home regardless!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2021 at 7:14am

You forgot to mention that David told you about 'when I was in cartagena....'
whistle
I'm just jealous, but it is kind of his catchphrase Smiley

But yeah, we're a pretty sociable bunch as a rule Smiley

Is Dave's EDC still one of Uwes marvellous creations ?

Sounds like an interesting show all round Thumbs Up
The really annoying thing is that it used to be held about 5 minutes from where I live.
Hoping it's not a permanent move.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man)