Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slinging in modern media (Read 2994 times)
CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Slinging in modern media
Aug 26th, 2021 at 1:41am

I was sitting back watching something on google and an ad came on for a movie called "infinite"... I was twiddling with a sling in my hand (as I do when watching TV) when all of a sudden a black leather plaited sling was on the screen - my jaw hit the floor! Unfortunately from what I have read it doesn't seem the sling is a major part of the movie... and apparently the movie is pretty terrible... so i haven't watched it yet.

It got me thinking about the sling in modern media (TV/film/books). Has anyone got any examples where slings are depicted accurately and favorably?

I saw somewhere on here about a goblin slayer cartoon using a sling - that was interesting - made me want to write a historically accurate comic about a slinger... if there are any good comic drawers out there hit me up!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Slinging in modern media
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 9:52am

The Power of One

Great flick with a good message. Also has slinging in it but you probably wont like how its portrayed unless you really have a thing against chickens.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 6:54am

I actually sent a few slimgs to the production company for that movie, mine didnt make it. Thankfully cuz i saw the reviews.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 8:31am

This is an oldie.  Though some of the slinging is far fetched The Clan of the Cave Bear does portray slinging favorably... plus you get to see Daryl Hannah naked.

IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2021 at 3:14am

vetryan15 wrote on Aug 27th, 2021 at 6:54am:
I actually sent a few slimgs to the production company for that movie, mine didnt make it. Thankfully cuz i saw the reviews.

Are you dead set?! How did that come about?!

That’s cool- I wonder where they got the sling- it looks pretty nice!

The power of one is a good one!

I remember our teacher got us to watch clan of the cave bear back when we were in year six… I do t remember it well so don’t remember slinging in it.

Are there any comics or books with slings?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2021 at 3:27am

Tarzan Cheesy

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2021 at 4:45am

As for books the one you will here most often here is the Redwall series.

Come to think of it the first few books of The Wheel of Time have a few scenes with slings. For us, knowing what a sling can and cant do they arent exactly believable but still good.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2021 at 1:12pm

CrazyBrave333 wrote on Aug 28th, 2021 at 3:14am:
vetryan15 wrote on Aug 27th, 2021 at 6:54am:

Are you dead set?! How did that come about?!

That’s cool- I wonder where they got the sling- it looks pretty nice!

The power of one is a good one!

I remember our teacher got us to watch clan of the cave bear back when we were in year six… I do t remember it well so don’t remember slinging in it.

Are there any comics or books with slings?

I have an esty store, and sell slings. Thats where the production company came across and purchased.  But as i said. Mine didnt make the final cut. Which i was mad at first, but then saw the reviews. I was fine with it,  I have pieces in museums, some famous celebrities,  a couple churches and some non profits have mine. I teend to be about getting my name out there, and spreading the sport, getting people to do it. If i was in it for money. I would be poor, since all these new sling sellers,  most make cheap crap, amd get away with it. Due to people being uneducated.

IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 9:55pm

Well now I'll have to watch tarzan! and need to look into wheel of time and redwall...

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2021 at 6:06am

There was a Redwall cartoon series made in Britain. It aired on PBS in the states. It followed the books pretty well, ncluding the slinging. You can find it on Youtube.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2021 at 9:48am

In LOST, the 'other' Tom used a sling to immobilize Kate, I think it was in season 2.

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #11 - Sep 19th, 2021 at 2:08am

Also, in the RTS PC game Stronghold Crusader, the Muslims have rock slinger units.

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #12 - Sep 19th, 2021 at 9:53am

I am currently writing an historical fiction novel based on the life and times of my Clan Home progenitor, Gospatric, Earl of Northumbria and later Dunbar, set in the period from 1030 to 1100. 

The story has a viewpoint character named Ælfric, who is a scop or bard who follows Gospatric throughout his historically accurate adventures.  Ælfric is a slinger, in fact a staffslinger who uses a Jorvik (York style) leather pouched sling on his walking-stick spear.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #13 - Sep 19th, 2021 at 8:14pm

StaffSlinger wrote on Sep 19th, 2021 at 9:53am:
I am currently writing an historical fiction novel based on the life and times of my Clan Home progenitor, Gospatric, Earl of Northumbria and later Dunbar, set in the period from 1030 to 1100. 

The story has a viewpoint character named Ælfric, who is a scop or bard who follows Gospatric throughout his historically accurate adventures.  Ælfric is a slinger, in fact a staffslinger who uses a Jorvik (York style) leather pouched sling on his walking-stick spear.

Am keen to read it!

My daughter actually also told me about books by Anh Do called Wolfgirl who's main weapon is a sling - she was pretty proud to bring it to my attention and plans on dressing up as wolf girl next chance she can... I'll make a special sling for her costume...

IP Logged

Tejo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Chile
Reply #14 - Sep 21st, 2021 at 6:00pm

In the movie Fantastic Mr. Fox there is a scene that shows a mouse slinging. Here: https://youtu.be/JFb0xS9_rOY at 1:13 (I couldn't find a higher res clip so its a little hard to see, sorry) :V

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)