Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slinging in modern media (Read 2996 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Slinging in modern media
Reply #15 - Oct 5th, 2021 at 8:25am

There is a sling shown briefly in the Amazon film Infinite. It isn't shown being used and if you didn't already know what it was, you would miss it completely.

IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #16 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 9:29pm

I had completely forgotten - my favorite childhood book 'Coral Island' by RM Ballantyne has a sling in it - 3 blokes stranded on an island - one uses a bow, one a spear and the protagonist uses a sling...

I wish I paid more attention as a kid! I would have been slinging from 9 years old instead of starting in my late 20's/early 30's (cant remember)

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #17 - Jul 26th, 2022 at 6:14am

There's an old French TV show with a slinger as the hero.  It's popped up on the forum a few times.  I can't remember the name right now.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #18 - Jul 26th, 2022 at 8:06am

"Thierry la fronde" or in English : Thierry the sling. He's a kind of Robin Wood  with a sling.
It's an old (sixties) black and white TV show. No historical accuracy. Watching recently, I noticed a barbed wire fence on the edge of a field. But nice heroes.
Back then, I was a kid and I liked this TV show.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #19 - Jul 27th, 2022 at 7:10am

IP Logged

Tigger32
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - May 7th, 2023 at 12:35am

In the video game Far Cry Primal you can use a sling.

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #21 - May 21st, 2023 at 9:53pm

Well, there's always the 1952 movie "Slinging in the Rain".... Cheesy

Jokes aside, I noticed a thread from last year discussing Linus's use of a blanket as a sling in the Charlie Brown Christmas (https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1640515369).

In this clip from Star Wars the Phantom Menace, there are what appear to be slings (around 2:34). https://youtu.be/r1rO06hp6C8?t=154

Once, Toivo and Eino were building a house, but as Toivo worked, he would occasionally throw a nail over his shoulder. When Eino asked why he was being so wasteful, he said, “The heads are on the wrong side!” Eino looked at him and said, “You dummy, those are for the other side of the house!”

IP Logged

ddr
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Phoenix
Reply #22 - May 24th, 2023 at 10:24pm

There is an older science fiction series, Dumarest of Terra.  The character grows up on Earth in a post-apocalyptic time.  He hunts with a sling while growing up.  He stows away on a spaceship and spends most of his life as a drifter.  But the series is about his efforts to find and return to his home, to earth.    His main weapon is a knife.  But he often talks about using the sling to stay alive and he uses one from time to time as an adult.  Author E.C. Tubb

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #23 - May 25th, 2023 at 2:33pm

Wow -- I'd forgotten the Dumarest Saga.  I met Tubb decades ago at a WorldCon in Boston.... 1971/ '72?

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick)