Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Any country that values freedom over safety? (Read 11654 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Any country that values freedom over safety?
Reply #45 - Aug 25th, 2021 at 8:30pm

Sarosh wrote on Aug 24th, 2021 at 4:33am:
So Any country that values freedom over safety?

The US is a federation of semi-independent states… not as independent as they used to be, but Texas and Florida both have taken steps to protect citizens in their respective states from loss of freedoms due to the pandemic… at least for now.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #46 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 3:37pm

And Florida and Texas have the first and second highest number of new Covid cases in the past week.  Florida with 148544 and Texas with 117299. 

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/here-are-the-states-where-covid-19-is-inc...

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #47 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 4:13pm

And while Texas governor Abbot is busy banning local vaccine mandates he catches Covid himself.  Classic!
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/state/2021/08/17/greg-abbott-covid-...
    Meanwhile in Florida it seems that MANY don't care for Governor DeSantis's "protection" as seven school districts openly defy his order banning mask mandates. 
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/aug/23/florida-school-districts-require...

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #48 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 4:35pm

Rat Man wrote on Aug 26th, 2021 at 4:13pm:
    And while Texas governor Abbot is busy banning local vaccine mandates he catches Covid himself.  Classic!
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/state/2021/08/17/greg-abbott-covid-...
    Meanwhile in Florida it seems that MANY don't care for Governor DeSantis's "protection" as seven school districts openly defy his order banning mask mandates. 
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/aug/23/florida-school-districts-require...

That’s a great example of prioritizing freedom over safety!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #49 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 5:03pm

Lips Sealed

I would caution you not to read too much into that RM.

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 1:05pm

Scorpion Vin wrote on Aug 25th, 2021 at 8:04pm:
But as practice shows, the coronavirus only finishes those who are already sick. That is why it is dangerous for those who are sick with diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and people with weak immunity and age. It is dangerous for those who are already at risk from their lifestyle or heredity.

Exactly right. Also older people that aren’t doing well. On the news they said people over 65 but there was an 108 year old that survived it

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 1:23pm

Rat Man wrote on Aug 26th, 2021 at 3:37pm:
And Florida and Texas have the first and second highest number of new Covid cases in the past week.  Florida with 148544 and Texas with 117299.

That really doesn’t mean much, And it isn’t that unusual. Texas and Florida have large populations. Also I’m pretty sure that the “Covid-19 tests” are just generic coronavirus tests. There are a lot of different coronaviruses. The numbers of cases mean nothing except for comparing it against the deaths. There are also a lot of incorrect test results.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #52 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 2:55pm

So...Lightning Jack pointed out part of the issue. The relatively large populations of those states.

Theres other issues as well.

First, case rates are given in a per capita basis while deaths are not. Very odd dont you think? Theres a good reason they did it that way.

First though lets talk about positive cases vs mortality rates. Quoting new cases is irrelevant if those new cases dont translate to higher per capita death rates or serious cases of covid. Its entirely possible that one state can have more cases and less deaths per capita.

Most new cases of covid and I mean the overwhelming majority are nothing. Just numbers on a piece of paper and anything from no symptoms to a normal, albeit miserable, flu. Looking at per capita case rates without the corresponding per capita deaths is not a good indicator on how its affecting our healthcare system because you cant know if you are seeing, for example, a super spreader event involving mostly younger people who statistically speaking are almost all going to be just fine or a nursing home which would be the opposite.

Likewise admittance to the icu is not necessarily as specfic as we would like either. The majority of people admitted dont end up on a vent for 3 weeks. Most have some observation and get prescribed some meds and sent home. Theres a huge gulf in between those two extremes. Death rates are a little more concrete. (Sometimes but thats a bigger issue i wont go into).

So going back to what I said in the beginning, why did they not publish the per capita death rates when they published the per capita case rates? Let me show you-

These are the per capita deaths per 100,000 people of the three states in question for the period of Aug. 19th- Aug. 25th of 2021.

Now, Ratman, heres your home state,  New Jersey 's-

New Jersey had the most deaths in the time period stated of all the states, while being the top 7th vaccinated state while Florida and Texas are 22 and 35 respectively.  New Jersey also has stricter mandates and a lower population of people 62 years and older than Florida, the age range most susceptible to death by covid, while Texas has a lower number of those aged 62 and older. So... at least in the last week you were about 50% more likely to die in New Jersey from covid than the other two states. It would seem then that at least for now the number one thing you could do to protect yourself would be to come to Florida or Texas.  Wink

This is not to say that the vaccine makes you more susceptible to death. Im not suggesting that. Or that you shouldnt get it. Thats a choice (for now) that people should make for themselves, although they are working on taking away that freedom.

Nor am I saying that death rates wont vary and change with each week. This is normal with any virus.

What i am trying to point out is that the news articles people read are designed specifically to sway you to a chosen narrative and they do that by leaving out information that would certainly make any reasonable person say "Hold on this doesnt make sense".

Lastly let me just say hopefully I didnt mistype anything or include any errors as I am pretty tired writing this. But yea...food for thought.
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2021 at 9:24pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #53 - Oct 3rd, 2021 at 8:18am

I got my booster yesterday.  Obviously we have different ways of looking at this. Personally I'm grateful to live in a country that takes such good care of me when most people in the world haven't even gotten their first shot yet. 
    The second shot reactivated an old Lyme Disease symptom in me.  A nerve tick in my lower left jaw that sort of feels like a cross between a toothache and touching aluminum foil to a filling.  For a week I was plagued with intermittent bouts of paralyzing pain lasting about twenty seconds.  They continued for another two weeks or so but after the first week they were more tolerable.  This is a symptom that's unique to me.  Unless you had Lyme Disease for fourteen years it's highly unlikely that this will happen to you.  I'm hoping it doesn't happen this time with the booster but I suspect it will. It's a price I'll pay to be safe.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #54 - Oct 3rd, 2021 at 9:28am

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/here-are-the-states-where-covid-19-is-inc...

Kary Mullis (the person who invented PCR testing) explicitly stated that PCR cannot be used to diagnose disease, it was a technology intended for forensic use. He also stated that it could be put to nefarious use, as once the cycles are turned up (as have been, far above normal) you can find anything and everything in someone, effectively giving the 'tester' control over the diagnosis.
As it happens, he very conveniently died in 2019, as to not be able to challenge the abuse of his invention in 2020, and onwards.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #55 - Oct 3rd, 2021 at 9:44am

Rat Man wrote on Oct 3rd, 2021 at 8:18am:
Obviously we have different ways of looking at this

I have no problem with differing opinions. My problem starts when another person's opinion or choice has to be enforced on me.

I have a lot of opinions on how this world should be run but I dont feel the need to enforce it to others.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #56 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 8:43am

Sarosh wrote on Oct 3rd, 2021 at 9:44am:
Rat Man wrote on Oct 3rd, 2021 at 8:18am:
Obviously we have different ways of looking at this

I have no problem with differing opinions. My problem starts when another person's opinion or choice has to be enforced on me.

I have a lot of opinions on how this world should be run but I dont feel the need to enforce it to others.

And I have no problem with that sentiment for just about everything but infectious diseases.  I don't think it's necessary for me to list the horrible diseases that would still be with us if not for vaccinations.  The unvacciated are living petri dishes for new variants to develop.  No one has the right to spread disease.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #57 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 8:51am

Archaic Arms wrote on Oct 3rd, 2021 at 9:28am:

Kary Mullis (the person who invented PCR testing) explicitly stated that PCR cannot be used to diagnose disease, it was a technology intended for forensic use. He also stated that it could be put to nefarious use, as once the cycles are turned up (as have been, far above normal) you can find anything and everything in someone, effectively giving the 'tester' control over the diagnosis.
As it happens, he very conveniently died in 2019, as to not be able to challenge the abuse of his invention in 2020, and onwards.

You can get many false negatives with a PCR but no false positives.  Consequently it is an effective but sometimes not efficient tool for diagnosing diseases.  After three and a half years of inconclusive testing for my Lyme Disease (referred to at work as "What ever your problem is") it was a PCR (and it only took two) that positively identified the exact strain of Lyme I had.  Without the PCR I never would have gotten the medical attention and financial help I desperately needed.  I would probably be dead right now. 

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #58 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 8:55am

Rat Man wrote on Oct 4th, 2021 at 8:43am:
And I have no problem with that sentiment for just about everything but infectious diseases.  I don't think it's necessary for me to list the horrible diseases that would still be with us if not for vaccinations.  The unvacciated are living petri dishes for variants to develop.

never said vaccines don't work.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #59 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 9:00am

Rat Man wrote on Oct 4th, 2021 at 8:43am:
No one has the right to spread disease.

apparently there are no rights at all so no right to spread disease also

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris)