Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I can no longer ignore Y-slings (Read 3109 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: I can no longer ignore Y-slings
Reply #30 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 5:19am

I've been seperating the three cords of my Y-slings, all the way up to the hand, like I did with the loop release system, instead of joining the two release cords somewhere near the pouch.

But I stopped doing the cord-seperation-in-the-wrist thing with Y-slings. It can work but it is incredibly sensitive to technique, one little
misuse of forearm and wrist and the ammo wants to drop, the inherent problem with wide grips.
I absolutely hate this aspect of wide grips. I have a very low tolerance for this problem, it is unacceptable in my view.
Because it will always be in the back of my head, and it can happen at the most of critical moments. I don't want that risk.
And said technique to mitigate this problem, is hard under stress.

So I went back to using the tight grip with Y-slings. Since the Wide grip loop release taught me that pouch control on Y-slings
still helps with accuracy (al be it affected by wrong pouch angles much less than a conventional sling.) 
I have to find another way to control the pouch angle then by using a wide grip.

I don't like vanes so the only option I have is to keep all 3 Y sling cords run all the way to the top
of the sling, only at the top the two release cords meet and become one. So there isa little extra drag of
a third sling cord. But this is the price to be paid for increased stability.

This keeps the sling very stable even with a tight grip, during rotation, because projectile is seated between the cords
and does not have parts hanging out of the sides, unlike with a conventional sling when this is often the case.

It also helps to use slightly stiffer and fatter cords when going for the tight grip. 
Unlike the conventional sling, stiffer and fat cords do not seem to cause further release relay with the Y-sling, but
do help with pouch orientation control utilizing the tight grip.

The only problem I still need to solve is the trigger question. Since the Y-sling has joined the previous retention and release cord together into one new release cord, and adds a new seperate retention cord, the load that was previously
spread over the retention and release cord when it was still a conventional sling, is now joined together into one new release cord. Thus the load is now extra big on the release cord. This prohibits a hair trigger from my hand as I have to grip really hard when going for the big rocks. My instinct was to use
a very big node, like a big knot, or a big round bead, but this causes noticeable drag as it releases from the hand.
What I do and so far works best is a full fist, smooth cords grip. But I am still looking for a way to get a fully relaxed trigger system.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: I can no longer ignore Y-slings
Reply #31 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 5:44am

main rig currently
no captive release because it is an experimental rig prone to mods

PA092524.JPG (215 KB | 26 )
PA092524.JPG
PA092525.JPG (200 KB | 17 )
PA092525.JPG

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)