Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I can no longer ignore Y-slings (Read 3140 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: I can no longer ignore Y-slings
Reply #15 - Aug 19th, 2021 at 4:19pm

Can't put it to words just how great this Y-sling is working out for me at shorter distances. It's helps so darn much with inconsistent ammo. I don't think the accuracy with standard sling is any worse if uniform ammo is used and the release is compensated... but this sling is so much more forgiving for inconsistent ammo.
I am getting more convinced this is a more effective sling for hunting, due the silent nature and the captive release. I am getting more and more used to the feel of this release system nd I am not really missing the fly out release cord. That being said I know I should really  comp my enthusiasm because of my behavior in the past.. but I am glad I've improved some of the design mistakes I implemented in this design earlier.

I am starting to think, had this sling type been known to more cultures and peoples, the sling would've been far greater adoption even as an apt replacement for bows in many cases, especially in cases where there is just too little space to sling with a fly out release cord.
If time permits I will make more videos demonstrating it, it definitely deserves it. I am spending quite some time on my fishing nets at the moment besides slinging and other things
video's are the only thing that are really a good contribution because talk aint much especially my rambling considering my history on this site.

So yeah, a case can be made that this was the acheaen sling design, it's the only sling design that is truly set apart. Sure, there can be definitely differences in feel between conventional slings. But at the end ofthe day they are the same thing. A long cord, or strap, with the ammo balanced in the middle. The ammo has to pass by the cord or the strap. The Y-sling is the only different type. It releasees the ammo through the sling and not besides it, at the moment of trigger. For 50 meter accuracy, I don't think that rifling is important granted the stone is of sufficient weight to punch through the air. I can wholly believe this design be the contributor to the written feats of the achaean slingers. But... it's speculation. If anything an interesting anecdote. It aint going anywhere and if it's truly better time will proof it
it would certainly have been a blast we would all get together in Balearic islands one day but it doesn't seem like that's going to be possible any more, any time soon, or possible ever again.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Aug 19th, 2021 at 8:33pm

Interestingly I found an old rusty ball in a box today and decided to sling it with my apache sling. Obviously rusty balls having an outside of rubber have a lot of friction, especially against the leather pouch of the apache.

As one might expect my shots were going way left as if I was releasing very late although I wasnt. This was just the effect of the ammo releasing later from friction.

It makes me wonder how much of the slings difficulty in accuracy is an assortment of little things like this. Because this is a relatively severe case but what about ammo that has just slightly more friction? Or less for that matter? And what if that is just one of half a dozen things that is changing from one shot to the next?

I really think thats probably a big part of the difficulty. Theres an assortment of things that all play a part and those variables can and probably do change consistently from one shot to the next. Gripping the release cord at a slightly different spot. Rotor at a slightly different angle, ammo friction or any number of other things.

Not so much as to make it obvious that thats what is going on but enough to make aiming really difficult.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 3:00am

If your shots go to the left, you have too much strength in your arm.  It has nothing to do with friction.  Higher friction from rubber only means more grip and spine.  The moment you let go, the bullet will fly.  If your shots go too far to the right, you're wrong.  Your hip points in the direction of the shot.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #18 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 12:14pm

While I will try to experiment with what you are saying Jaegoor my only issue with it is I had no such shooting to the left with ammo of the same weight that wasnt rusty balls. That makes me think it has more to do with the grippiness of the ammo.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #19 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 2:58pm

I agree Morphy.  My favorite sling for ice balls (leather pouch and paracord cords) doesn't work well with rusty balls.  It's the red pouched sling that's in a lot of my videos.  The pouch has a pretty good cup to it, which makes it great for ice and other smooth spheres.  It can be used for rusty balls, but they're less likely to come out cleanly.  I don't mean that they can't be thrown cleanly with that sling.  But I think a good way to put it is the combo is "less forgiving" than with a less restrictive pouch.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 3:32pm

Well I've figured how to put a spiral spin on ovals with the Y sling, and it's actually very simple and it works well.

I still think this sling type is optimized for in-line throwing with spheres, but this is definitely sweet to know.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - Aug 21st, 2021 at 8:20am

Joe, that makes sense. Ive noticed on slings that are completely flat that they do tend to be more likely to drop really smooth stones. Makes sense that the amount of cupping might be dictated by the friction induced by the ammo.

I constantly have this feeling that tuning the sling and ammo is at least as important as tuning bows and arrows. This must be what it felt like to be an "Archery Expert" in the 1200s. You know theres more going on but no one person could figure out the complicated balance between all the things that change arrow point of impact.

I think we are in the 1200s for sling tuning.  Tongue

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #22 - Aug 21st, 2021 at 9:50am

The french archeologists during their tests aim right because they noted that the slingstones go to the left. Friction or inexperience ?
Being an "expert" is also knowing how to doubt. Jaegoor may be right.
Several parameters can be the cause of this drift to the left.

Undecided

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #23 - Aug 21st, 2021 at 10:35am

Im not sure how else to test it except using ammo of the same weight and shape but drastically different friction coefficients. i.e.- rubber covered ammo vs something like ice or very smooth stones. Seems like by doing that you can pretty easily test for yourself.

Make sure to also use the same sling of course.  Smiley

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Aug 22nd, 2021 at 8:04pm

I made a y sling about a year ago but a little different design than yours but I also noticed how accurate it was at close range I just never got the time to keep experimenting with the design

IP Logged

El_Jefe
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Singapore
Reply #25 - Aug 23rd, 2021 at 2:43am

Which side of the pouch is the release side ?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #26 - Aug 23rd, 2021 at 3:03am

The projectile rolls out through the two legs of the ''Y'' or ''T" shape pouch.
I've come to prefer the T-shape pouch over the Y-shape but the principle is the same.
I believe the T-shape to be better suited for a wider range of ammo shapes

poh.png (209 KB | 17 )
poh.png

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #27 - Aug 23rd, 2021 at 4:26am

This type of sling would be good to shoot discs with I might think. Has Anyone tried this already?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #28 - Aug 23rd, 2021 at 6:58am

funditor wrote on Aug 23rd, 2021 at 4:26am:
This type of sling would be good to shoot discs with I might think. Has Anyone tried this already?

Have you seen C_As designs on the Abstract Ammo thread? He's doing some disc thowing sling designs.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #29 - Aug 23rd, 2021 at 7:03am

funditor wrote on Aug 23rd, 2021 at 4:26am:

https://youtu.be/Dp7eULvj_7Q

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy)