Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nail spike for ammo (Read 1448 times)
KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Nail spike for ammo
Jul 28th, 2021 at 11:45pm

I am using dental floss three strands.. three knots on the end of a large spike.  It is a nail with head ground off.  These knots are designed to grip when pulled along the length of the nail.
They are 6 feet long.  There is a small rag at the end held in the hand.  The whole thing is thrown.  So you loose the dental floss.  So what.  It hits like a spear, but harder.

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Nail spike for ammo
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2021 at 10:19pm

Ive always wondered if you could take a nail with a fairly large head and hammer the head down into a cone to see if it would fly straight. Like a blow dart just more painful.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 12:19pm

Got a picture Knollslinger ?

All I'm envisaging is a headless nail tied to some dental floss.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2021 at 1:33pm

in due time.. first i will throw it thru a board.
imagine a short version of the Shaolin spear on a rope thing but thrown at 150mph
look up the nail knot on you tube
image three floss cords so tied to the spike whose head is ground off and the point sharpened.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2021 at 2:05pm

I made something similar (ish) to use as slingshot ammo using nails, cotton string and electrical tape based on air rifle darts (which also make for fun slingshot ammo). Not the best construction or very pretty but pack a punch. If the air rifle darts are mosquitoes, my nail ones are horseflies. They stuck DEEP into wood. Very fun.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2021 at 4:28pm

KnollSlinger wrote on Jul 28th, 2021 at 11:45pm:
I am using dental floss three strands.. three knots on the end of a large spike.  It is a nail with head ground off.  These knots are designed to grip when pulled along the length of the nail.
They are 6 feet long.  There is a small rag at the end held in the hand.  The whole thing is thrown.  So you loose the dental floss.  So what.  It hits like a spear, but harder.

I am not sure I am following but the dental floss will act like finns, stabilizing the nail?

Morphy wrote on Jul 29th, 2021 at 10:19pm:
Ive always wondered if you could take a nail with a fairly large head and hammer the head down into a cone to see if it would fly straight. Like a blow dart just more painful.

Last winter I got fairly competent at throwing nails (and knifes) like darts. Could hit and penetrate a shoebox sized cardboard box at 3-4 meters. Not sure why so few knife throwers do it like this. Supposedly it is very difficult to learn but honestly I found it easier than regular spinning techniques.

Kick wrote on Aug 3rd, 2021 at 2:05pm:
I made something similar (ish) to use as slingshot ammo using nails, cotton string and electrical tape based on air rifle darts (which also make for fun slingshot ammo). Not the best construction or very pretty but pack a punch. If the air rifle darts are mosquitoes, my nail ones are horseflies. They stuck DEEP into wood. Very fun.

whoooooooo how do they sit in the pouch?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2021 at 4:47am

Pretty good. I found holding them, point down worked well as they stabilise very quickly.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2021 at 12:33pm by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 2:42am

Slyngorm wrote on Aug 6th, 2021 at 4:28pm:
I am not sure I am following but the dental floss will act like fins, stabilizing the nail?

Yes.  In fact, you can use three nails and three sets of cords to make a bolos.  The rag at the end you use to hold and throw.
Otherwise, the dental floss would cut into your hand.  The rag drags the back of the nails so they hit point first.

|---------------------------dental floss-------------===nail==>
rag ---------------------------dental floss-------------===nail==>
    |---------------------------dental floss-------------===nail==>

Up to five nails all tied to same rag if using as bolos would be good.  What ever feels like you can handle weight wise.

There are videos how to tie a nail knot.  I'm going to use my
drill press to remove the heads with a file and then sharpen the points of the nails to razor sharp.

The heads are removed for two reasons.  First reduce drag.
Second, the nail will fly in a better attitude, pointed at target,
if the head does not deflect the line back to the rag.  That is why three nail knots and three dental floss per nail, arranged at 120 degrees about the nail radius for even pull and straight flight.

The spike was too long to fit my drill press unless I took it apart. So it just fit into the chuck of my handheld electric drill.  So I'll be holding the drill in one hand and the file in the other.  No machine shop here.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2021 at 9:10pm by KnollSlinger »  

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2021 at 4:55am

Please make one. Really want to see it in action.

IP Logged

KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #9 - Aug 9th, 2021 at 3:32pm

Slyngorm wrote on Aug 9th, 2021 at 4:55am:
Please make one. Really want to see it in action.

working on it a little each day.  also had idea to weld three spikes together at their centers along x, y, and z axis;  then sharpen both ends of each spike.  use that as the bolos ball.
but that will be after this one.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2021 at 11:46am

so you tie dental floss to a nail amnd then swing it round and throw it ?

Don't see the point of the rag. You need to put a lot of stress on dental floss before it digs into skin significantly.

Nope it's obviously just me, but all i can see is nails tied to dental floss.
noidea

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)