Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
KE vs distance (Read 1214 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: KE vs distance
Reply #15 - Jul 27th, 2021 at 1:15pm

Like many Im growing to think the >1m long sling has good potential, it gives some serious speed and distance to 200-300 g stones, but it does require adaption to get the most out of it,
and a stick-to-it mentality for a while, which I find hard to get, simply because it's not very practical, and requires a lot of clear space around the person.  It's easier to to use a shorter sling more often & figure 8 it feels better all round for me.
But if I had a beach full of stones I would definitely play around with the super long slings just for fun and give it some serious man hours.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #16 - Jul 27th, 2021 at 1:29pm

@Albion
Yeah that goes more into the biomechanics of it I suppose. You aren't just moving the sling bullet but the entire arm and body and the sling- and realistically once the ammo weighs ~30g losing grams on the projectile is barely going to effect the speed of the motion at all vs simply having an empty sling pouch. In that case increasing ammo weight makes a lot of sense for the aerodynamic benefit.

I'd say it's pretty difficult to come up with a general rule as to what achieves the best range when air resistance is in play. Basically you want to maximise the speed of the throw whilst minimising the speed bleed on the projectile to drag- but these factors play against each other as you vary the ammo weight up and down. There's surely a sweet spot for each setup but varying the environment will have a complex effect on where that sweet spot lies. There may even be multiple local maxima, for example the optimal lies around 50g, though good range can also be achieved with 150g, but not so much in between those values. Switch up your slinging style or even just your sling and you may have a completely different landscape.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #17 - Jul 27th, 2021 at 3:12pm

decided I will compromise and shorted the sling down to 1 meter. This length still seems relatively practical for a long sling.
Tested it out once and the power capacity is really amazing. I do think longer slings allow for a more powerful cast with heavy rocks. Although little reason to go over ~300 grams. That's really a nice weight for artillery rocks.
I guess I just like all sling lengths.  So now my setup with slings is an arms length sling with figure 8 for target throwing with rocks up to 300g and a meter long sling with 200-300 g rocks for sheer power. I got no doubt I can go over 200 joules with this metersling every time while the shorter sling pretty much is maxed out at 200 j. The long sling setup is what I will keep using the tight grip on because that's for slinging without giving much about orientation

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick)