Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Origin of shotgun/scatter sling? (Read 1623 times)
Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Origin of shotgun/scatter sling?
Jul 24th, 2021 at 5:25pm

And/or the general design of slings fitted with multiple projectiles.
Is it a novel invention of the forums?

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Re: Origin of shotgun/scatter sling?
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2021 at 6:05am

My answer is cleairly a modern invention for fun.
1) Find me a single use for this thing in the true life ?
2) I have tested. My results are very mixed.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2021 at 2:18pm

I don't doubt for a second that someone in history stuck more than one stone in a pouch and let it rip. Actual dedicated shotgun slings? I doubt it. Someone, somewhere might have made one (throughout almost all of human history I can see the technology existing to make one), but it would have been for fun.

Are there "real world" uses for a shotgun sling? I can really only see one and I don't know if it would really work but...

In an ambush situation, the prime reason I can see to attack with slings is the element of surprise and causing confusion. Perfect situation would be a choke point, maybe a gully or valley, and attacking from above, preferably from cover. By doubling up on ammo, you could potentially make your enemy think you have greater numbers than you do. Getting hit with 15 stones would be bad, 30 would be worse. Imagine if you have 30 slingers; now it's 60 stones. I know that the stones wouldn't have as much energy, but killing the enemy isn't everything. Getting bombarded with potentially hundreds of stones is not fun even if they aren'y getting through your shield and armour. It makes you want to leave and stop doing whatever you're doing. A few extra stones in the air could be pretty useful.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2021 at 4:22am

Kick wrote on Jul 26th, 2021 at 2:18pm:
I don't doubt for a second that someone in history stuck more than one stone in a pouch and let it rip. Actual dedicated shotgun slings? I doubt it. Someone, somewhere might have made one (throughout almost all of human history I can see the technology existing to make one), but it would have been for fun.

I'm agree with you.

The results of my tests. Of course, others members may lead to other results.
With two stones, the shot is consistent. With three stones, the flight of one stone is inconsistent. It's worst with four stones. Jaeggor had already reported it.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2021 at 4:38pm

TOMBELAINE wrote on Jul 26th, 2021 at 6:05am:
Find me a single use for this thing in the true life ?

If one encounters larger flocks of smaller easily stunned animals?
Ducks and waterfowl might be stunned by a few small stones. And the same with tiny, sparrow birds using fingernail sized pellets. You wouldn't even have to use nicely shaped ammo because accuracy isn't your main goal.

Then again. There are alot of posts in the archives that explains how fitting several rocks into the pouch doesn't work as intended due to the spread of power.
TOMBELAINE wrote on Jul 26th, 2021 at 6:05am:
I have tested. My results are very mixed.

Yeah, like that...  Undecided

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2021 at 4:30am

Slyngorm, the problem is therefore this one :
Since stones are not possible, how to throw  gravel at about 30 meters ?
And if I can't, I have to come over but how do I make sure they don't fly ?
I may be wrong but it seems complicated to me.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 5:30am

I think in most cases if you want to throw more than one projectile with a sling, the best solution is to have more slingers Cheesy That way you can throw "real" sling ammo and get the best of both worlds.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 8:27am

Real world use for shotgun slings are the same as real world uses for shotguns.

It gives you an increased chance of hitting a moving animal you want to eat

In an historical sense, the best use for a 'shotgun' sling would be to sling at dense groups if animals.

Primarily flocks of birds.

So yeah, would mist likely have been in fairly common usage.
As with most common everyday items, they rarely get mentioned in historical texts or images.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 4:50pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jul 31st, 2021 at 8:27am:
Real world use for shotgun slings are the same as real world uses for shotguns.

It gives you an increased chance of hitting a moving animal you want to eat

In an historical sense, the best use for a 'shotgun' sling would be to sling at dense groups if animals.

Primarily flocks of birds.

So yeah, would mist likely have been in fairly common usage.
As with most common everyday items, they rarely get mentioned in historical texts or images.

The most common critique I have encountered is the physics of shotgun slings. That is, investing the same energy in several small rocks instead of one large doesn't translate well. But I do FEEL like a flock of birds would be a viable target. But still. I need evidence.

My own critique is that I have hardly been able to find references to it outside of slinging.org.
These two links http://www.primitiveways.com/gourd_sling.html https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paleoplanet69529/fiddler-39-s-new-gourd-sling-sh... show the same shotgun sling. But that's it. No more.

Searching "sling" already comes up with many things that aren't shepherd slings and "shotgun sling" is no different. But still. Are there any references to shotgun slings outside slinging.org besides those I posted.
If it really was used it must have been the single most rare and niche primitive weapon deviced (besides the kestros).

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2021 at 3:52am

With balls of about 10 grams, I reached about 15 meters.
For me, the flock of birds must be at the maximum of 10 meters. I think it's difficult.
Has anyone tested very small weights ? It's necessary if we want continue the thought.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2021 at 10:27pm

In my shotgun sling tests I used miniature ice balls.  They were approximately 10g each.  Here's the most recent video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcxhkPyXxd4.  The earlier ones I did are in the Description of the video.  I don't recall what the distance was.  Probably around 15 m.

I think using a shotgun sling could be effective if throwing into a flock of birds.  But I would never want to use such light-weight projectiles for hunting.  I think throwing more projectiles at once provides a better chance of getting a hit, but each individual projectile will need to be large enough to deliver a sufficiently damaging hit.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2021 at 4:00am

Good  Smiley
You don't lack creative ideas. New design. Congratulation !
Smiley
The design of the pouch, rather rigid, is the most important.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)