Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coping with the heat (barely) (Read 1487 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Coping with the heat (barely)
Jul 21st, 2021 at 11:31am

It's been over 30c in Derbyshire for the last 4 days and pretty humid.
And I'm really a cold weather person.

I'm currently sitting in a storage room under the house - if i ever hung hams or Salamis, this is the room I'd hang them in.

I figure it's got to be under 25c in here.
Way too hot in my workshop to do anything, so I thought, I'd come sit in the dogroom and make slings.

How do you cope with stupidly hot days ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Coping with the heat (barely)
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2021 at 2:47pm

The weather in western Pennsylvania has been pretty much the same.  Getting up to 90° F and absolutely way too humid.  Luckily my house has central air.  So if I'm inside no problem.  But any outdoor activities I just plan on sweating a pint of water every 10 minutes.  I'm much more of a cooler weather person too.  If it's 70° outside and I walk around my house, I'll break a sweat.  But I can go outside wearing a T-shirt when it's only 45° and be fine.

Sorry for speaking in Fahrenheit.  It's what I know. Wink

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2021 at 6:15am

So down here in Texas we measure heat by how fast your shoes melt to the asphalt. Right now its about 30 second degrees outside.

And Im only partially joking here. I used to rollerblade back when rollerblading wasn't making a life changing announcement about your sexuality. This was back in the 90s. And there was a few times one of my wheels would hit parts of whatever black tar they use to fill in cracks and stop me instantly. Forward motion that is. Downward motion increased. As did pain.

I dont know what happened to me. I used to love hot weather as a teen. I was unstoppable. Now Im a puddle of sweat after 45 mins working outside. Nope make that 45 seconds. And mowing the lawn? What the hell man!!!  Are you frikkin serious? Even at 8 am its like trying to breathe in a sauna. So miserable.

This is the trade off though. 4 months of wishing you were dead and 8 of loving life. I would say Ill eventually end up in the pacific northwest where its nice all the time but cant really say that anymore either lol.

Do you guys have AC usually over there CA? Some places here still dont have it because the weather is so nice year round. Which is fine until they hit 115.  Wink

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2021 at 7:15am

New Jersey is infamous for some of the most humid, miserable Summer weather imaginable.  Like Morphy I find that the older I get the less I like it.  How do I cope?  I still have to walk the dogs, do gardening, mowing, and other outdoor chores.  Other than that I hide from the heat.  I avoid it as much as possible while the Huskies and I pray for Autumn.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2021 at 7:55am

I grew up without Air Conditioning and didn't have any when I lived in NYC either. That was the worst. Sitting in a giant heat sink, no crossbreezes, thousands of AC units dumping more heat into the heat sink. Oh and we lived in an attic converted into an apartment. BLEARGH.

On the worst nights the wife and I just accepted sleep wasn't going to come. You fill the tub with water so you can immerse yourself. Have a fan nearby. Wear swimsuits (or nothing depending your situation). Immerse yourself in the cold water. Stand in front of the fan and have it blow directly on you. Repeat as necessary. You know it's a bad night when you have to drain and refill the tub because it's warm.

If I wanted a more hightech solution, I'd do what NASA and race car drivers do: Use a pump to move cold water through silicone tubing that's been attached to an garment. You could use less water and make it colder.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2021 at 10:44am

Aircon in the UK is pretty much just shops and commercial premesis, and cars.
Almost no private dwellings have it. Cos we generally haven't needed it.

Anyway I'm back in the dogroom with some more slings.

Eventually when I've got more slings than a Balearic islander called Pepi, I'll be forced to get my act together and start selling them properly.

That's the theory any way Smiley
And at the moment it's the coolest job I can find Smiley

I think in mrs Fahrenheit's armpit percentage, we're around 88.

Some years back I spent a week in Toronto flat sitting for a friend.
Official heat warnings, water stations all over the city. All I ate one night was a 2 litre tub of ice-cream.
Slept on a chair under the only ceiling fan in the flat. The buggers were still playing baseball though.

It's not quite that bad here, but the UK weather definitely has ambitions to move up to the big leagues.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2021 at 10:15pm

The worst Summer weather I ever experienced was in Seoul, Korea.  June and July aren't that bad... sort of the same as New Jersey.  August and September they catch the monsoon.  Every day the temperature would be in the mid 90s Fahrenheit and it poured constantly.  The humidity was incredible.  You'd get up in the morning, shower, start to put on your uniform, and before you could finish getting dressed you'd be soaked to the skin.  I was in Seoul for thirteen months so fortunately I had to deal with only one monsoon. 
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2021 at 3:25pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Peashooter
Tiro

Have fun Storming the
Castle!

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2021 at 1:37am

It was 115 F in central California a couple weekends ago.  I could feel myself shriveling up just taking the trash out.  For the most part we stay inside and pray the AC doesn’t break.  Yesterday was the first time in over a month that I had practiced slinging on my lunch break since it was a cool 99 F.  Can’t wait until October gets here.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2021 at 8:16am

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2021 at 2:28pm

A few weeks back it was burning hot here in Helsinki. It's still pretty warm now, but it was +30C before which, I can tell you, in a very well insulated Finnish flat that's designed to be room temperature when it's -35C outside, is very warm. The only thing that was helping was a cold wet cloth across my back and shoulders. Worked well, but basically couldn't do anything. Brain was fried.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2021 at 5:09pm

I've been absolutely dying in my room. I actually had to leave my city and go back home it was so bad. Room would top 35 and stay 30+ well into the early hours. Couple that with neighbours early morning circular sawing paving slabs about 5m from my window and you have a recipe for getting F all sleep.
I'm not someone who likes hot weather by any means, but given an indoors space to recover I can bear it well enough. Not so when your indoors space is 5 above whatever it is outside. Honestly I can't bloody wait until it's 10 or less degrees again. It's the temperature I was born to live in.

Today I rigged up some foil backed reflective panelling to hang outside of my windows and reflect some of that sun back, hopefully it will help when the next lot of stupidly hot weather rolls around.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 3:22pm

Right now the Delaware Valley (Northeastern United States) is in the middle of a very freakish cool spell.  It's been going down to the low 60s Fahrenheit at night and today it's going up to only 72.  That's 17 and 22 degrees Celcius.  It could just as easily be going up to 100 Fahrenheit (38 Celcuis) this time of year.  I can't ever remember a high temperature so low this time of year in this area.  My air conditioner and electric bill appreciate the break.  By the coming weekend we'll be back into the heat so I'm going to cherish every moment of this.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 3:55pm

Rat Man wrote on Aug 1st, 2021 at 3:22pm:
   Right now the Delaware Valley (Northeastern United States) is in the middle of a very freakish cool spell.  It's been going down to the low 60s Fahrenheit at night and today it's going up to only 72.  That's 17 and 22 degrees Celcius.  It could just as easily be going up to 100 Fahrenheit (38 Celcuis) this time of year.  I can't ever remember a high temperature so low this time of year in this area.  My air conditioner and electric bill appreciate the break.  By the coming weekend we'll be back into the heat so I'm going to cherish every moment of this.

Went from having to make bed in the basement or airing out the house in order to sleep at night, to closing the window at night because I was freezing, in a matter of days.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Aug 2nd, 2021 at 8:37am

similar here in WI. Of course we had a big storm blow with the cooling front on Thursday. Tons of downed trees still haven't finished cleaning up.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark)