Disc slings (Read 5631 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Disc slings
Jul 16th, 2021 at 9:58am

No idea if these are a good idea or not.
But certainly a fun novelty item Smiley

So I figure you've got two approaches:

1) a pouch with a specifically shaped slit in it that will hold a torus shaped type disc (well a torus with a sphere blocking up the centre hole and giving something to sit against the slit. 
The main issue with that, is you will need specific shaped missiles. So a sling and a clay mould. Neither hard - but it's not a general purpose disc sling.

2) a pouch designed to grip the sides of a disc and hold it horizontal during the throw and letting the disc roll out during the release.
It'll need to hold a variety of different sizes and be able to curl into a half circle and flatten out.

As i can't see any commercial value in this (look this kind of thing is how I make part of my living, I have to give the commercial value of anything I design, some serious thought), it's just a fun project for a hot, quiet friday afternoon Smiley
Got some good news this morning that a widget I designed and packaged for holding van doors open at set points - is starting to sell reasonable well. So far we've just got it in one retailer as a test, and we're up About £200 - so that's really positive news Smiley

I'll go through my current thoughts on disc slings.

1) My first thought was: a flat pouch with the top surface lined with short tapered spikes. My favourite material is flexible polyurethane, so the hedgehog pouch is simple to print and pretty easy to design.
I'm not sure how well it would work, the spikes would need to be far enough apart to allow the disc to get between them, but also close enough together and tall enough so that the disc is firmly held.
Again it's going to limit the thickness of the disc to quite a large degree.
So I'll probably make one 'just because'.

Things to take into account: height of spikes versus length of pouch. As the pouch curls up around the disc, the spikes will face each other. make them too long and the pouch won't close up around the disc, make them too short and they won't hold the disc securely during the windup. 

2) a pouch with each side lined with tapering triangulat 'springs'.
Essentially a v-shaped channel wide at the top and meeting at the base. With the sides, spring loaded. So that as long as the disc is not wider than the pouch, it will slot in and be held nice and secure.

There are two ways to do this with a 3d printer.
1) have the inside of the 'v' empty apart from a few points to attach a small spring to. To literally make it spring loaded. My main issue with this is that I don't have any suitable lightweight compression springs or enough biros of the same type to take apart to get enough matched springs whistle.

2) actually print the interior of the 'v' with a spring like sponge.
That's a lot harder to do, but I don't really see any major issues with it, apart from some tricky design work.

Design considerations: You can't have a single v-spring. The pouch still has to curl up. So you will need a set of vertically and horizontally tapered pyramid/obelisk shapes.
FDM 3d printers (what i have) work from the ground up (it's basically a very small and precise hot glue gun that builds an object in very thin layers - in this case around 0.25mm thick layers), as the base of the obelisks facing the pouch interior, will need to be spring loaded. they can't be attached to the base of the pouch itself. ie: at the point, that side of the base starts you would be trying to print on thin air. This does not work.
So I will need to build in a support section that will be cut away when finished. Not a big problem - but something you have to work into the design.

Having thunked on this for a bit. I think I'll go with the 'biro spring' approach.

Just had a look on amazon and I can buy 20 40mm springs for £5.49.
Bugger that. So I'm off to poundland, where I'm pretty sure I can buy more than 20 spring loaded biros for £5 !

Anyone else have any other ideas or a totally different approach to a disc sling - please post your thoughts and ideas.
No-one's getting rich on this - so feel free to share Smiley

Also - what sort of discs are we going to sling ?
Is there some cheap object in the world we can use or will we have to make specific ammo.
I mean I can print any size disc from pla - up to a small frisbee. And small discs would be pretty cheap.
A cutter or mould for clay is also pretty striaghtforward.

Or there's coins - a 2 pence coin is a small but potentially great ammo for a tailored hedgehog sling pouch.

When i was a kid we'd buy several rolls of polos (lifesavers to you yanks) and sit at the back of a the cinema on a saturday morning and throw them at all the other kids. They explode when they hit the back of someones head.
That did backfire one morning, my dad happend to be duty sergeant major at the camp where the cinema was and the manaher got fed up at all the complaints and decided to crack a soap bubble with a sledgehammer.
Nobody could prove it was me doing the throwing - but my dad and I both knew lol
So there's that Smiley Polos are still really cheap - but probably way too smal and light. A small stick type thrower would work better for polos.

But is there anything around the size of a can lid that would also make great disc sling ammo ?

I need more brains than mine on this Smiley 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Re: Disc slings
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 12:02pm

Clay pigeons are cheap, but not reusable. Sorry, I'm all out of them, otherwise I'd fiddle with them in a split pouch made to size.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 1:23pm

kinda big though.

I'm thinking something the size of a bean tin top would be easier to carry and should still sling quite well.

And yes - 20 retractable pens from poundland were - that's right £1 !

So got plenty of springs. Plus the body of the pens look like they'd be a really good startpoint for interesting blowgun darts.
Pretty decent two-fer Thumbs Up

Just need some sort of use for the inky tubey bits and we could declare a home run Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 2:05pm

How about rolling clay out flat and using a cookie cutter?  Using a doughnut cutter would leave a hole in the center to let some air pass through and make it more stable.

Rainbow sprinkles are optional.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 3:29pm

Sprinkles are never optional !

Yeah clay discs are pretty easy to make.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 10:55pm

Y-sling

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 4:13pm

A large TS7 with extreme cupping would make an ideal disc sling.  I don't have one handy to show you a picture but I sent one to Vetryan in the last SITH.  If he still has it maybe he could post a picture.  In the meantime I'll go through my collection and see if I have one or something similar.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 11:54pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jul 16th, 2021 at 9:58am:

A disc golf disc.  Not sure about other locations, but in the US you can find them online for less than $10.

From my small amount of experimentation trying to throw a disc with a sling, the problem isn't the pouch holding or releasing the disc.  That works pretty much the same as any other projectile.  The problem is keeping the disc flat through the throw, and when it's released.  If it doesn't remain in a completely horizontal plane, it's going to catch the air and the throw is done.

The release will also need to add spin to the disc, just like throwing a frisbee by hand.  This is needed for a good flight.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 1:05am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jul 17th, 2021 at 11:54pm:
Curious Aardvark wrote on Jul 16th, 2021 at 9:58am:

A disc golf disc.  Not sure about other locations, but in the US you can find them online for less than $10.

From my small amount of experimentation trying to throw a disc with a sling, the problem isn't the pouch holding or releasing the disc.  That works pretty much the same as any other projectile.  The problem is keeping the disc flat through the throw, and when it's released.  If it doesn't remain in a completely horizontal plane, it's going to catch the air and the throw is done.

The release will also need to add spin to the disc, just like throwing a frisbee by hand.  This is needed for a good flight.

+1 to everything Joe said.

I think a Y-sling with a long pouch to cup the sling would work well, but coming up with some sort of drag mechanism to keep the pouch oriented is also required.  Maybe just a fox-tail off the back of the pouch would work.

We could also try to sling disc golf mini-disks. they are even cheaper, but harder to get to fly correctly. But they would be a great substitute for clay pigeons to get the sling working with those, because they are reusable and won't just break on impact.

John R.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 1:50am

https://youtu.be/Dp7eULvj_7Q

flat stones, some are disk shaped, Y sling

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 9:31am

That's a really good example Sarosh.  The video shows the erratic flight that can happen.  The rocks are going up in the air, straight, left, right, and everywhere in between.  With a disc made of plastic (or some similar material) that's going to be worse because the projectile is less dense and will be affected much more by air resistance.  A precise throw keeping the disc flat when released will be key.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 10:01am

Here's a good example of a forehand disc throw, https://youtu.be/n9lBQsX6zP0?t=137.  Possible with a sling?

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 10:47am

the Y sling in the video was not made for this particular task.
a better cord adjustment and grip combined with a stiffer flatter pouch will perform better. 

P.S.: also consistent ammo...

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 10:49am

jai alai

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 1:31pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jul 18th, 2021 at 10:01am:
Here's a good example of a forehand disc throw, https://youtu.be/n9lBQsX6zP0?t=137.  Possible with a sling?

Except the spin from a right-handed sling throw will be clockwise, so it will look more like a backhand in its flight.

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man)