Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for pop up/ quick assembly target backstop (Read 1043 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Looking for pop up/ quick assembly target backstop
Jul 15th, 2021 at 9:16am

being able to practice target slinging in the garden would be fun. But I need a decent height back stop.

This sort of thing:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333853982762?hash=item4dbb3f802a:g:ydUAAOSwpapf~DXo

But not for £80 - that's kind of taking the piss a bit.

Or failing that have you made a decent sized portable backstop and if so, what did you use ?

I leave one up all the time, as that would involve being winged at - a lot. 

Given that most of us could probably do with something similiar anyway.
Figured it was worth a new thread.

All suggestions and links will be looked at Smiley

I figure 6-7ft height by 6-8ft wide, should do the trick nicely.

I tend to throw high - and having watched a bunch of me slinging videos recently, I know why and will be working on that.
But initially - height is king, I'm usually in line with a target and tend to only miss above or below, rarely side to side.
So height is more critical than width Smiley
For me, anyway.

If you're sidearmer - then longer width might be more important.

So any and all ,links, designs ideas for easy to assemble and dissassemble backstops please.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Looking for pop up/ quick assembly target backstop
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2021 at 10:27am

As a fellow fig 8 guy height is our nemesis. Because it has to actually be "really"  high just in case a stone slips out early.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WH3R7MS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_1GRSVQVGVRXVQ8W...

This is what I bought. I went with the 10x20 because a belief in overkill is simply a lack of vision. At 3 feet above the ground it should be plenty high.

Not pop up at all because i couldnt find a pop up net that was big enough for me not to worry about that 1 in a million slip up.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 1:42am

Yes taming slinging for backyard use is always a question of durable affordable practical backstop or nerfing the hell outa your ammo.

I can practice traditional archery with a small target to stop the arrows and minimal backstop for “worst case “ shots.

Where worst case with a sling needs to far away from anything living or valuable. . Unless your nerfing ammo. And then your probably not slinging the weight or power if you were free range.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 10:59pm

https://www.google.com/search?q=repurosed+sign+tarp

Go to a big hotel after a conference. People throw away signs and billboards all the time after those are over.

Talk to a sign printer and ask for misprints

Or if you want to spend a lot of time and save tons of money… weave your own net!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 7:36am

When we did the Wyoming slingfest, George bought a huge tarp.
But even golf balls were going through it.
Plus really heavy so would need a more substantial frame than netting.
But it really didn't stop anything very well, and made a fantastic sail !

But an excellent idea nooc, I'm sure I could find some use for free tarp Smiley

At hodd hill, Pete had a really nice golf backstop, I haven't been able to find one the same.

I think I put a few clay balls through it at close range, but it did stop the golf balls.
And there weren't that many holes at the end of the last session.

Netting is great, it absorbs energy really well, is usually cheap and lightweight.
For really large netting you can buy builders rubble netting. It's cheap enough and comes in sizes large enough to use at doubled or tripled thicknesses.
Plus it's weather proof.

I might go back to the polyurethane plumbing pipe. It's cheap, rigid and comes in really long lengths at around 1 pound per metre.

I did consider using the Balearic target, but it just not wide enough for things like the can challenge.

The big issue with a tall net is keeping it from toppling over.
I might get away with bolting some permanent brackets into the wall in front of the flowerbed. As long as j don't tell anyone, they'll probably never notice lol
As long as there's no sharp edges and it doesn't stick out too far.
Have to think about that.
Also I have access to aluminium rod, hmm.
Wall mounted brackets, lightweight metal rods and rubble netting.

I think I have a plan lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark)