Send Topic Print
Episode 2 Conflict (Read 3515 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Episode 2 Conflict
Reply #15 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 7:31pm

Although what CA mention is pretty true in regards to hunting it’s still a viable choice but very dependent on the animals your hunting, the amount that animal has be exposed to humans/hunting and the ability of the slinger.

I agree that for ethical one shot kill hunting, the sling is not the best choice of tools especially when put up against modern tools like rifles etc. But it still has its place.

Survival hunting is probably where the sling is most excepted as a potential tool where the ethics are less of a worry and anything that works will do. Flocks of birds are a good example of where the sling might be put in front of some other primitive tools.
It’s definitely a good tool to have to scare away scavengers and predators.
Accuracy is the main issue people have with it being used as a primary hunting tool. But people who have actually hunted understand that just changing to a bow or throwing stick isn’t necessarily going to mean your putting food on the table.

I think the sling shines where other tools don’t .
Requires very little to build and has an abundance of potential ammo that could be used.
Is very easily carried, and therefore could always be on ones person waiting for perfect opportunity.
Is very capable of holding its energy over distance (long range flock shots)

I think it holds its place. Perhaps it’s not bringing big game to the dinner table but I bet it’s an advantage to bare hands.
I know that it has some negative views around accuracy and ethics but people wound animals with rifles so it’s not always just to tool

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 10:42pm

I think to really understand why a sling was often used in accompaniment with other weapons, and its benefits,  one has to actually make the "other" weapon and use it.

Ive mentioned this many times but make a dozen spined, weighted,  flint tipped shoot arrows with nothing but flint tools and watch how many break on a hunt. Typically each of those arrows represents maybe half a days work. This includes a great deal of culling and breakage, warping and unseen organic flaws as well as underspined arrows and gathering materials, making arrow heads etc.

Now go hunt in a rocky field or a hardwood forest and it will be crystal clear why it was used.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #17 - Jul 21st, 2021 at 2:54am

https://www.academia.edu/42638744/Morphological_Study_of_Sling_Projectiles_with_...

The thesis of Barbora Kubikova. Good passages on hunting especially for North America.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #18 - Jul 26th, 2021 at 2:44pm

TOMBELAINE wrote on Jul 21st, 2021 at 2:54am:
https://www.academia.edu/42638744/Morphological_Study_of_Sling_Projectiles_with_...

The thesis of Barbora Kubikova. Good passages on hunting especially for North America.

Awesome thnaks!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #19 - Aug 11th, 2021 at 4:13pm

TOMBELAINE wrote on Jul 21st, 2021 at 2:54am:

Je suppose que tu n'as pas la même chose, mais avec des passages sur la chasse en Europe ? Tongue

I haven't listened the last Catch this yet, but if I was asked sources for hunting with slings in antiquity and medieval Europe, so I will be waiting the second next one !

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #20 - Aug 11th, 2021 at 10:40pm

Kick wrote on Jul 12th, 2021 at 5:22am:
Our plan in the future is to have maybe single episodes on particular battles where we can go in depth and really show how the sling contributed to those specific situations as well as single regions and cultures. Don't worry, just because something was mentioned in this episode does not mean we are done with it. This was just to entice people in.

This is music to my ears... Cant wait for some specific breakdowns!!!

IP Logged

Al Paca
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #21 - Sep 9th, 2021 at 7:30am

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone’s got one!
I am happy to have a podcast about my favourite sport and I’m happy to see Nooc and Kick grow into their roles. Right now i don’t see anyone else putting their balls on the line.

Good on you boys, keep going, growing and learning!

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #22 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 4:42am

Caldou wrote on Aug 11th, 2021 at 4:13pm:
Reply #19 - Aug 11th, 2021 at 4:13pm   TOMBELAINE wrote on Jul 21st, 2021 at 2:54am:
https://www.academia.edu/42638744/Morphological_Study_of_Sling_Projectiles_with_....

Je suppose que tu n'as pas la même chose, mais avec des passages sur la chasse en Europe ?

Excuses-moi Caldou mais ne maitrisant pas l'anglais, je viens peu fréquemment sur ce topic.
J'ai des 3 points que je ne comprends pas. A ma connaissance, il n'y a pas de référence sur la chasse à la fronde pour l'Europe. Si l'on excepte la tapisserie de Bayeux (et autres enluminures identiques assez nombreuses d'ailleurs) qui est plutôt une scénette agricole.

IP Logged

Al Paca
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #23 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 7:15pm

By the way, thank you for mentioning al paca in the conflict episode!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, NooneOfConsequence, Morphy)