Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
very pliable slings vs stiff (Read 2687 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

very pliable slings vs stiff
Jul 6th, 2021 at 5:01am

this is still very debatable territory for me, regarding what is better.

A very pliable or very 'floppy' sling slings noticeably easier if you ask me
it simply doesn't  resist slinging as much. You can even rotate these slings
with barely any wrist motion.
using them feels so smooth
especially the somewhat thicker but floppy round traditional shepherd slings
I think they are worse at pouch orientation control with the wrist, but at the same time I can
sling with less wrist action which also produces less rotation of the pouch during rotation

On the other hand stiffness in sling cords resist rotation and therefor resist slinging
stiffness in a sling gets less with use, wear and tear
high stiffness requires a certain threshold of stone weight to open properly
but it can provide more direct control of the pouch angle.
However I am doubting whether making slings stiff is worth it at all
really thinking about it stiff sling just doesn't make sense

So I am growing more towards slings without reall stiffness and with round cords, they just feel smoother, more like how a sling is supposed to be
And if tangling/twisting starts being an issue, then simply make the sling thicker instead of making it stiffer (?)

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: very pliable slings vs stiff
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2021 at 8:45am

I think stiffness is often a substitute for when fibers are slightly stretchy.
If a sling can reach full tension on the cords in the throw the throw is easier to control.

Under tension, torsional twists and horizontal bends are less likely.

Am I making sense?

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2021 at 1:35pm

I'd go with pliable, not so much for accuracy or control, but portability.

I can stuff a cotton string or mason line huaraca into my back pocket and not even feel it.

Who knows... maybe I'll change my tune when I get around to making a really stiff corn husk balearic.  Something sacrificed, something gained, it's all compromise and balance.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2021 at 8:56am

J its a good question man. And I dont have a good answer for it. I used paracord slings for many years. The accuracy was always just fine. Then again my experience with Balearics is they also work very good.

The main advantage I can see with Balearics is ease of reloading. Other than that while feel is definitely different when I look at the actual results I dont know if theres a huge difference or not in accuracy.

Which is odd to me because without a doubt they feel very different than something like paracord.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2021 at 11:02am

I feel like where I am with pliable vs stiff is;

If the cords are stiff enough to resist pouch rolling and dropping ammo from the sides of the pouch (only need reinforcement around the pouch for this) and twisting mid wind up and getting in the way of clean releases (so called: pouch angle control) *for your given ammo choice*, then you are in the clear.

I more or less subscribe to your stuff around stiff cords being effective at pouch angle control etc. My only qualm is that I feel like in reality you just don't need that much control and relatively pliable slings do just fine too for most ammo sizes/types. Perhaps the pouch angle is more stable when the cords themselves are under a lot of tension? As opposed to your free hanging twist test.

This is consistent with my personal approach of matching the sling to the ammo. Lighter and pliable slings for lighter and smaller ammo. Heavier and stiffer slings for heavy and large ammo.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2021 at 11:15am

well pouch angle control is more down to how wide your grip is, than how stiff the sling is.

For me the stiff balearic style slings just don't hold the ammo as securely as a soft leather pouch sling.
It's one of the things you notice at the international.
The locals get a lot of stones falling out, going sideways and backwards and basically any way but towards the target.
The foreigners with leather slings, or like uwe and puchi with softer woven slings - never lose any ammo.

For heavy rocks - as used in the balearics - short stiff slings certainly make it easier to hit a target.
As long as you can keep it balanced long enough to release in the right direction. 

But as someone who's been using leather and cord (paracord these days, whatever i could get in earlier times) for over 35 years.
I'm kind of biased Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2021 at 8:41pm

I think this is a question of preference rather than what is better.  There are too many factors that go into a sling to claim that one characteristic is better than another (long vs short, full pouch vs split, etc.).  In some situations I think there can be a "better" choice to make, but there are many more variables that need to be accounted for in the decision.  Such as the projectile, style, distance to target, and not least of all the slinger.  Say we were going to have a competition, but it was required that everyone throws Figure-8 style.  I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone is going to grab a short sling with stiff cords for that.  And the reverse would be the case in CA's example on heavy projectiles and a short target distance.

That said, I vote for pliable.  Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2021 at 3:15am

With basically everything in slinging, it's always on a spectrum and sometimes that spectrum is a bell curve but the curve is unknown because there just hasn't been enough testing. The best thing for everyone to do is experiment for yourself and try and find that groove that suits you. It's not a very scientific answer but, as you say, there are so many factors I don't know if it will be possible to say which is the "best" sling for each person/style/ammo/situation.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 4:04pm

Pliable for me. I personally find stiff slings much less accurate and responsive.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 4:16pm

I generally like my slings to be stiff and responsive for a few reasons. I like to throw big stones, I feel I can put more into them (vs a floppy sling), and reloading is quick without any twists. I also feel more in control when using them.
The caveat is that I also like sling with 'cortaillod'-style slings, but that is mostly for training purposes.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 12:59am

I notice that when using a ~250 300 g stone and a really light sling, the efficiency is very high, there's no resistance to rotation
so it quickly feels as if you have to tune down power in order to gain control back. A stiffer / heavier sling doesnt rotate as freely and thus is already slowed down, as a result it feels as one can up the power. Reality of this  is I think a trick on the mind.
The heavy stone would leave the light sling just as fast or faster, and likely with less excessive spin, it's just because of how efficient  a such a sling combo + heavy stone is (sling no longer feels like its there) that one has to slow down in order to handle it.
In fairness this should be a good thing I think. For it should allow the user to sling in a more controlled manner
Of course if one wants to retain the feel of whanging a heavy stone, you could still shorten the thin sling or use the stiffer/heavy s less efficient sling.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #11 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 7:14pm

I’ve been saying it for a while j

TRY DYNEEMA

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 8:43pm

J so it sounds like your views on slings has changed a bit. Is that fair to say? Do you over all prefer more pliable slings now?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Jul 15th, 2021 at 2:32am

The best sling is the one you can hit the target with.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Jul 15th, 2021 at 4:39am

I use thin cords  and really simple slings; Chumash and netted slings for the last month or two. I still use both grips, tight and wide depending on what I throw, where I throw and what type of spin I want.  I  also use rotational and no rotation styles but with rotations no more than 2 or 3.  But have dropped most heavy, thick slings from my arsenal instead finding other solutions. The only things I still see them really being good for is quickest reloading but the upsides of thick slings no longer weight up to the downsides for me. I find I generally sling without straining myself to the max and want the sling to do more of the work.
A light sling can sling light and heavy stones but I find I cannot sling light stones well in a heavy sling. A lot of my projectiles weigh as low as 70 grams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)