Send Topic Print
Collecting wild yeast (Read 2989 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Collecting wild yeast
Reply #15 - Sep 4th, 2021 at 12:50pm

I dont have any of the tools to check the gravity, (alchol level) but i seen them cheap on Amazon.  I pretty much goe bu smell, and taste. Which it smels strongly of alcohol.  Which we just opened one of the 1st bottles i made, not knowing what the level is, i can tell it is rather strong. Which probably goes against all the science that people learn the hobby. But iam the type of person who doesnt really care too much on the specifics of the science. As long as i have a very basic understanding,  and it goes according to plan. I am good. I usually am happy with just getting the end product done, and good.

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #16 - Sep 7th, 2021 at 12:51pm

Perhaps a stupid idea but this seems very similar to sourdough starter so maybe this could be used for sweet breads like a honey nut bread or cake?

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Sep 7th, 2021 at 1:30pm

Yes actually JW. I haven't seen it done but I saw a documentary about traditional gingerbreads used a sort of honey based sourdough starter.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #18 - Sep 7th, 2021 at 4:03pm

perpetualstudent wrote on Sep 7th, 2021 at 1:30pm:
Yes actually JW. I haven't seen it done but I saw a documentary about traditional gingerbreads used a sort of honey based sourdough starter.

Ok cool interesting concept

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 8:22am

The specific gravity test is just a graduated tube with a float.

Alcohol is less dense than water, so the float is higher in the tube the more alcohol is produced.
Or the other way round - I can't be bothered to look it up whistle

If you take a reading before fermentation and after its fairly easy to work out the percentage of alcohol.

Given how easy and cheap it is to do, why wouldn't you ?

On a separate note, wonder if gingerbread was used to make ginger wine ?
Probably not but maybe...
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2021 at 12:28pm by Curious Aardvark »  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #20 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 5:58pm

Just like u, i can be just as lazy.  One of those things. As long as i get a buzz and can smell the alcohol. Iam good. Its another skill i learned, so when the apocalypse happens, i have barter items.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 7:00pm

Speaking of wild yeast, I watched "victorian farm" (available on prime) the premise is 3 people live and work with victorian english tech, experimental archeology type thing. One experiment was gingerbeer using yeast from beer barm. They said it came out really well.

So I'm trying an experiment using my wife's sourdough. Same gingerbeer I used last time only with a tablespoon and a half of sourdough instead of an 1/8 tsp of bread yeast. Been brewing about 24 hours, yeast seem alive. We'll see how it goes.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #22 - Sep 16th, 2021 at 6:50am

Please keep us posted on that, sounds very interesting.  I think next year we might attempt starting a sourdough starter. So gar my yeast starter has been doing great.  I am getting ready to make 5 gallons of mead, and 4 to 8 gallons of hard apple cider. Which the latter only takes 4 to 8 weeks to finish.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - Sep 16th, 2021 at 9:20am

well it certainly carbonated, the plastic bottle is nice and hard until I let some of the pressure off. Tasted it, it's still early, you can taste what my wife calls a "bready" flavor and I call "umami". But the key is it tastes just like last batch I made. I don't have a flavor difference between the sourdough and the bread yeast versions. And that batch after some more fermentation lost that flavor entirely. So we'll let it go longer.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #24 - Sep 16th, 2021 at 2:32pm

vetryan15 wrote on Sep 16th, 2021 at 6:50am:
Please keep us posted on that, sounds very interesting.  I think next year we might attempt starting a sourdough starter. So gar my yeast starter has been doing great.  I am getting ready to make 5 gallons of mead, and 4 to 8 gallons of hard apple cider. Which the latter only takes 4 to 8 weeks to finish.

You might also look into amish friendship bread. It’s really good.

« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2021 at 4:31pm by vetryan15 »  

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #25 - Sep 16th, 2021 at 4:29pm

Do u have an airlock ? U could make one with a regular balloon,  poke a pin size hole in it, and put the ballon as the lid, it will release the Co2. Through the pin hole without allowing anything in. Cuz it can blow up with no vent on it. Definitely let it sit for a couple of months minimum.  My mead is gonna be sitting for 6months minimum, before I i even think of bottling it,

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #26 - Sep 16th, 2021 at 4:31pm

Morphy wrote on Sep 16th, 2021 at 2:32pm:
vetryan15 wrote on Sep 16th, 2021 at 6:50am:

You might also look into amish friendship bread. It’s really good.

Never heard of that. But i got plenty of local amish around

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Sep 23rd, 2021 at 12:54pm

friendship bread is basically a very sweet bread that uses pudding. Ultimately it's a type of sourdough my family did it when I was a kid but I don't remember much.

The ginger beer is done. There are a few differences between this and the last batch. Took longer to ferment (though that might have been weather).Produced more sediment. I got a bitter taste when it was done. I'm not sure if it was the source of yeast, the flour that came with the yeast, the ginger itself being older, the extra peppercorns I added or what.

It was an interesting and drinkable experiment. My sister told me I have too high standards and it tasted great with peach whiskey. I'm not sure. More experiments ahead for sure.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #28 - Sep 24th, 2021 at 8:39pm

Joe has more experience with the different flavors.  So many things can cause the variations its really hard to pinpoint it. Thats the fun part just experimenting. 

I juat got my 5 galloms of mead started, all different flavors, in 1 gal jugs.i got regular mead, apple ciser, spiced apple ciser( we went out and harvested wild apples on my street) vanilla mead,( which was real vanilla extract as flavoring. And a maple mead. In the spring i tap our own mappe trees and make our own syrup.  Not much, but we enjoy it. Really too labor intensive,  but it helps with cabin fever as our winters are 6 months long. 

Then i have 8 gallons of hard apple cider. In 4 gallon jugs. One is regular hard cider, other is spiced hard cider. We had harvested about 2 5gallon buckets of wild apples.  All the yeast that i used was what i captured for my yeast starter. Its been almost a week and everything is starting to bubble. Slowly, but at night when its quiet,  u can hear it all night long.  I domt heat up the must, and i don't mix the honey and water into (must) i read somewhere it makes it sweeter mead if u dont agitate it. So far in my experience.  I couldnt tell. But i know it tastes better thwn most wines i have drank in the past. Some of my techniques are what medieval times would do, due to no time. Just let it  do its thing.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #29 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 8:46am

I know when I ferment foods the type(s) of bacteria that predominate cause drastic changes in flavor. Ive had some that have a spicy kick. Others have this sour yet sweet and tangy flavor that is absolutely the best kraut you will ever have. Its almost addicting. I need to start saving starters from different batches for different flavor profiles.

Is it possible that different yeasts do this? If this was mentioned already my bad. Just occurred to me right now.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)