Send Topic Print
Alone (tv series) (Read 710 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alone (tv series)
Jun 30th, 2021 at 12:20pm

If you have watched or are watching this show,
what 10 items would you take?

Of course, your picks have to be within their limits of what is allowable and what so far has been used on the show
Also tell your strategy of how you would go about the whole thing

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Alone (tv series)
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 12:40pm

Here's what I would take

1 - As much rations as I am allowed to pack.
2 - As much paracord I am allowed to pack
3 - A large stainless steel container
4 - A large ferro rod
5 - As much fishing line and as many hooks that are allowed (this counts as 1 item in the show)
6 - Synthetic sleeping bag
7 - A blowgun with plenty broadhead darts if allowed ( I assume it would be since they allowed a rubber slingshot and modern take down bows. )   I would not take a bow since I simply have no hunting experience with it
8 - Chopping machete of some sort
9 - Silky saw of some sort
10 - Leatherman of some sort

I would do my best to find a good shelter spot that already has some sort of natural shelter capability, like next to a good big rock  or a large fresh fallen tree(s). I wouldn't immediately try and build freestanding cabin, but instead try to incorporate my structure next to something existant.
I wouldn't build a log house personally, my hut would look much more primitive, but I would saw fresh logs  for protection. I don't want it to consist of purely debris. This is why I take the saw.
I'd  focus mostly on making traps, since that's where I have the most experience in. I want to make a really extensive trap line with lots and lots of deadfalls, fish cage and springpole traps. OF course I would make a sling from my paracord and definitely use that for any birds that may be roaming the shore. I'd make a gill net from paracord since I've already done that twice. Probably a trot line as well. I wouldn't focus much on trying to hunt big game since it's unlikely I would succeed. I would make an ever-stew and just add all meat I get to that pot. Of course if I have too much I would smoke it.  Again I would try to make my trap line larger every day, my intention would to make the most extensive trapline the show has ever seen. Then  my routine will consist of walking that trap line every day, gathering on the way, (re)setting traps, with my sling and blowgun by my side if I happen to stumble upon small to medium game while inspecting the route, while at the same time foraging for edibles and general area reconnoisance. This way I am combining many tasks at the same time; gathering, scouting, hunting, trapping

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 3:05pm

I never saw anyone pack rations so I don't think they're allowed. 

1.  Ax.
2.  Big mamma survival knife.
3.  Jumbo spool of heavy duty fishing line like 60 lb test FireLine.  This would have many uses besides fishing.
4.  Arctic sleeping bag.
5.  Ferro rod.
6.  First aid kit that included iodine, triple antibiotic ointment, medical tape, and gauze.  Also antibiotics if allowed.
7. Fishing hooks.
8. Bow and arrows.
9.  Snare wire.
10.  Big stew pot.

My first choice for a shelter would be a lean to against the side of a big rock or cliff.  I would build it sturdy enough so that a bear would have problems smashing it up.  If I couldn't find anything to build a lean to against I'd make a teepee.  I would insulate it as much as possible.  Building a nice little log cabin would look cool but I think it would be a waste of energy.  Either a well made lean to or teepee would suffice. 
    Snares are hit or miss so I'd set as many as humanly possible.  My area would be snare city.  I'd construct a fish trap of preferably rocks if available.  If not stakes will do. 
   I've seen people on Alone take a bow and arrows... I don't know the exact number but they're limited to just a few arrows.  That's not a big problem.  Arrows can be manufactured if necessary. 
    I would smoke all of my extra meat and fish and hang them high off a branch, away from camp so bears wouldn't get at them or bother me. 
    I would cook probably all of my meat and fish by boiling them.  That way you don't waste one precious drop of blood or fat.  This competition is about attrition. The ones who starve first lose.  EVERY calorie matters. 
    Ten items seems like a lot until you start putting your list together.  There are some items I'd like to take that I had to leave off the list like an e-tool (shovel) and gill net.  I can make a gill net out of my fishing line but it wouldn't be as good. A casting net would be a very handy thing to have also. 
    Ten items isn't a lot when you consider that in order to win you'll have to be out in the middle of nowhere for at least three months. 

Edit:  there are lots of things that could make me tap but I don't believe being alone is one of them.  I see guys or women who are doing OK but suddenly tap because they miss their loved ones.  I'm fine being alone.  I live alone now.  I rarely see people.  It's OK.  That part of Alone I could handle. 
    What would make me tap?  Constant rain for weeks.  That can break anyone's will.  Being harassed incessantly by bears.  Bears are nothing to mess with.  And of course any serious unexpected illness or injury could end your adventure. This is easy to say sitting here in my livingroom with a full belly but I think I would be a tough competitor.
Edit: also a tarp would be an excellent thing to have.
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2021 at 9:21am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2021 at 12:37am

Paracord
Cooking Pot
Good knife
Saw
Ax
Fishing gear
Sleeping bag - Preferably My Little Pony
Ferro rod
Gill net
Bow and arrows

While the gill net you might say could be made and therefore is a wasted choice, you will be really busy doing everything else at first. I would rather have the gill net up and catching fish while Im doing all the other stuff. Based on what ive seen on the show fishing and especially nets are the way to becoming wilderness rich.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2021 at 8:05am

1. Large metal cooking/water vessel
2. Large fero rod
3. Silky katanaboy folding saw
4. Sleepingbag
5. Large tarp
6. As much dyneema paracord as I’m allowed.
7. Hammock
8. Fixed blade knife (preferably sharpening stone on sheath)
9. Fishing equipment
10. Bow and arrows.

In the climate they’re in I’d struggle with the cold.

I would focus my first energy filled day on scouting and finding a suitable location for permanent shelter. Next few days would be dedicated to establishing shelters and collecting resources.
As I depleted energy I would focus on foraging fishing trapping and opportunistic hunting. All whilst trying to improve shelter and collect fire wood.

I’m guessing I’d make around 3-7 days before I start really feeling the hunger.
The loneliness would be like nothing I’d ever done after a week

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 11:13am

That mental game, am I right? The amount of people that have flushed away their chance at half a mil because they get bored or lonely is astonishing. Even knowing for a fact that it wont be forever and it very likely wont even be a year and they cant do it. Dont get me wrong!! Not saying I could either lol, but just knowing how powerfully that can affect people is pretty enlightening.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 1:07pm

Morphy wrote on Jul 13th, 2021 at 11:13am:
That mental game, am I right? The amount of people that have flushed away their chance at half a mil because they get bored or lonely is astonishing. Even knowing for a fact that it wont be forever and it very likely wont even be a year and they cant do it. Dont get me wrong!! Not saying I could either lol, but just knowing how powerfully that can affect people is pretty enlightening.

Sometimes it borders on shocking.  A contestant will have fire, shelter, food, water, and not be sick or injured in any way.  And suddenly out of the blue they announce that they miss their kid, spouse, or whatever and tap.  I'm like "What!!??"

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 4:34pm

Rat Man wrote on Jul 13th, 2021 at 1:07pm:
Morphy wrote on Jul 13th, 2021 at 11:13am:

Sometimes it borders on shocking.  A contestant will have fire, shelter, food, water, and not be sick or injured in any way.  And suddenly out of the blue they announce that they miss their kid, spouse, or whatever and tap.  I'm like "What!!??" 

And lest we forget they are still getting check ups by the tv crew and medical team. So really its not even being alone a year. Its so weird. I would like to be in their head when they are making that decision. Seems crazy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)