ad1.jpg

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Re: pellet blowgun
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 7:33am

I once made a blowgun for shooting 15mm marbles, worked pretty well, but it had a very short barrel.
Now I want to make it again, but with much longer barrel

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 7:37am

Oh yes sir please do!
This is the sole reason I was interested in making blowguns. Another eye-sight aiming, blunt object hurling, primitive weapon!
On an interesting note, blowguns actually existed in Roman Empire and are still being used by clubs in present day Southern Germany.

This links describes different construction types and in what part of the world they have been recorded the earliest. Interestingly, some American tribes tied several blowguns together so that they could quickly be used in succession.
http://www.alcheminc.com/blowgunhist.html

Another link giving a little more generic info.
http://allkindsofthingsweliketodo.blogspot.com/2014/01/het-blaasroer-een-oeroud-...

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 7:52am

After studying some images I changed the way I grip the blowgun. Previously I stretched out my left arm and gripped the blowgun further down the barrel.
Now I hold the blowgun with both my hands near together the mouthpiece, like this man is doing.

I notice my accuracy to have increased quite a lot. I shoot at 15 meters and I can now consistently hit a 25 by 45 cm target every time. What I notice is that now the blowgun wants to stabilize itself because it becomes front heavy. So when you puff your lungs out, the blowgun stays more stable. Previously when I puffed my lungs out I would twitch and my left hand holding the blow gun in front would jerk a little causing the the barrel to move. Now the barrel stays almost dead on target not being affected by any jerking movements nearly as much. It's much more stable this way. Genius!

asdasd.png (540 KB | 40 )
asdasd.png

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 8:06am

How did you make a blowgun?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 10:07am

I have various from pvc and metal tubing, but my primary one is the cs 5 ft blowgun

I also have the 2 feet extension which allows me to make it a total of 7 feet.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2021 at 3:55pm by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 11:38am

had no idea they were used so much outside of south america.
Fascinating.

I have a very small one a mate brought back from whateve country machu pichu (brazil ?) is in.
Obvioulsly made for the tourist trade. But works really well in my workshop with a dartboard.

I have a long piece of copper tubing in here somewhere.
And i have spent the last 20 years doing breathing exercises on a regular basis.
Hmmm....

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 12:23pm

the cherokee in the US also used blowguns. The historical reenactor mentioned they were considered like we in the US consider BB guns. Small game and fun rather than serious weapons.

I should fool with them again.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 1:55pm

It's definitely for meat gathering and not so much for war. I like that.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 2:31pm

What you using as ammo?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 2:45pm

bamboo darts, nails, cold steel razor darts

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 3:41pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 28th, 2021 at 7:52am:
After studying some images I changed the way I grip the blowgun. Previously I stretched out my left arm and gripped the blowgun further down the barrel.
Now I hold the blowgun with both my hands near together the mouthpiece, like this man is doing.

I notice my accuracy to have increased quite a lot. I shoot at 15 meters and I can now consistently hit a 25 by 45 cm target every time. What I notice is that now the blowgun wants to stabilize itself because it becomes front heavy. So when you puff your lungs out, the blowgun stays more stable. Previously when I puffed my lungs out I would twitch and my left hand holding the blow gun in front would jerk a little causing the the barrel to move. Now the barrel stays almost dead on target not being affected by any jerking movements nearly as much. It's much more stable this way. Genius!

That is genius! Damn you guys pointing out how interesting and cool blowguns are! They're illegal here Sad

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 3:52pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jun 28th, 2021 at 11:38am:
had no idea they were used so much outside of south america.
Fascinating.

I have a very small one a mate brought back from whateve country machu pichu (brazil ?) is in.
Obvioulsly made for the tourist trade. But works really well in my workshop with a dartboard.

I have a long piece of copper tubing in here somewhere.
And i have spent the last 20 years doing breathing exercises on a regular basis.
Hmmm....

A guy your size I'd say you need at least a 5 foot blowgun for optimal power, probably nearing 6 or 7.
I personally feel like 6 is about optimal for me but maybe even 7.
If you want to learn something about blowgun ballistics, I highly recommend this video
https://youtu.be/gRkecgJPyTY

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 3:55pm

As the blowgun is made longer the speed-increase gets smaller

sort of like with slings, possibly

I think the reason a lot of the jungle blowguns are so long is because it makes aiming easier.
The extra length just makes it less twitchy.
Plus the extra ft of length decreases the effective distance between you and the target.

When I place the 2 ft extension on my 5 ft blowgun I do notice an accuracy increase
it really is the perfect tool for shooting up into a tree. Also gets easier to hold it more vertical.
I think any average person with 2 days worth of practice can hit a rabbit sized target at 15 meters with a hunting blow gun  very consistently.  If your darts fly true. ! I still want to make thistle fletchings.
The nice thing is you can use it as a walking stick when not in use.
Some cultures also attached knives to the end of theirs like a bayonet. Now you have a two-in-one.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 10:57pm

Just from my experience I would always go with long and big bore blow guns. Smaller ones can easily pierce game but the ammo is not very lethal and leads to long, painful deaths.

I saw a documentary about the South America blow gun users and damn...they are incredibly accurate. Its amazing.

I dont know why they were not used more in N. America. Ive heard Cherokee could sometimes pierce the brain of a deer with a blowgun. Im sure if that happened it was the exception not the rule. The real odd thing to me is we have plenty of sources of poison/venom but I know of no group that used poisoned darts in N. America. Poison makes the blow gun a fantastic, almost overpowered weapon. So it not being used as always struck me as odd.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)