Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How do you do the right thing with release cord? (Read 2560 times)
Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Re: How do you do the right thing with release cord?
Reply #15 - Jul 2nd, 2021 at 3:06pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 2nd, 2021 at 8:03am:
if you make your pouch long, then it will never touch the release cord

How long should the pouch lenght be to save the release cord?

"Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.” ― Terry Pratchett

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - Jul 2nd, 2021 at 3:51pm

@irongoober - you're wrong.
Never take anything for granted so i just checked all the slomo videos dave's taken of me and in not a single one does the missile come anywhere near the release cord.
With a cap paul sling the missile just seems to come straight out of the centre of the pouch.
It clearly rolls out as I get plenty of spin, but the pouch design and cord attachment method ensure the cord itself is not in line when the missile leaves the pouch.

Because I use fairly large knots that are offset from the pouch ends and at the back of the pouch and always use shaped pouches.
The cord attachment points are never in the way of the missile and by the time the missile is on it's way the main cord length is also well out of the way.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #17 - Jul 2nd, 2021 at 5:20pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jul 2nd, 2021 at 3:51pm:
@irongoober - you're wrong.
Never take anything for granted so i just checked all the slomo videos dave's taken of me and in not a single one does the missile come anywhere near the release cord.
With a cap paul sling the missile just seems to come straight out of the centre of the pouch.
It clearly rolls out as I get plenty of spin, but the pouch design and cord attachment method ensure the cord itself is not in line when the missile leaves the pouch.

Because I use fairly large knots that are offset from the pouch ends and at the back of the pouch and always use shaped pouches.
The cord attachment points are never in the way of the missile and by the time the missile is on it's way the main cord length is also well out of the way.

I think this is a matter of simply having the correct pouch / sling orientation for a rifled release? Than the release cord is not inline on any sling. But upon release the sling is pulled out away from the projectile causing the projectile to spin. This does mean some contact with the release cord or contact with the releasing side of the pouch.
I don't see how a certain pouch design or cord attachment ensures  a throw that is not inline. Only purposfully orientating the pouch and sling so that the cords are not in line upon release can ensure this consistently I believe.

Here is a rifled release in slowmotion
https://youtu.be/zSitFtps_M0

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #18 - Jul 3rd, 2021 at 12:39am

@C_A I'm not sure what a cap paul sling is. But for a normal sling, contact occurs.

In all 3 of these cases there is contact with the release cord. Only by an inch or two, but it's there. Red arrows are the end of the pouch.

Which videos show no contact? I'd like to see what the pouch design looks like if that is indeed the case.

SlingReleases.png (1017 KB | 16 )
SlingReleases.png

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #19 - Jul 3rd, 2021 at 2:31am

With the cap paul design, the pouch extends on either side of the pouch so there's a little distance with the edge of cord pouch and where the cord attaches. Its as J said, it can be argued the release cord isn't touched but that's because the pouch is extended.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #20 - Jul 3rd, 2021 at 2:34am

See, long extensions.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #21 - Jul 3rd, 2021 at 2:35am

In my opinion, the Balearic slings give us the answer. Why extend the leather up the release cord? Because that area is coming into contact with the ammo.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Jul 3rd, 2021 at 4:57pm

I shoot Balearic.  And I don't need this leather.  Just why?

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #23 - Jul 3rd, 2021 at 6:42pm

IronGoober wrote on Jul 3rd, 2021 at 12:39am:
@C_A I'm not sure what a cap paul sling is. But for a normal sling, contact occurs.

In all 3 of these cases there is contact with the release cord. Only by an inch or two, but it's there. Red arrows are the end of the pouch.

Which videos show no contact? I'd like to see what the pouch design looks like if that is indeed the case.

Remind me next time I mail something your way IG, and I’ll throw in a Cap Paul. They’re pretty easy to make since I have a benchtop eyelet press.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #24 - Jul 3rd, 2021 at 10:54pm

@ScorpionVin

As promised. Here is a video on how to repair a braided cord that has been cut.

https://youtu.be/tzaYGOHDzjM

The choice of music is horrid. I know. But it had the correct duration.  Also, I may have messed up the braid sequence at the beginning, and I was twisting some of the cord in the wrong direction for some of the strands, but you get the idea...

John R.

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #25 - Jul 4th, 2021 at 11:01am

IronGoober wrote on Jul 3rd, 2021 at 10:54pm:
Here is a video on how to repair a braided cord that has been cut

Thank you! I did it differently before

"Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.” ― Terry Pratchett

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #26 - Jul 5th, 2021 at 4:04pm

My fingers after two hours of tight weaving

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #27 - Jul 5th, 2021 at 9:22pm

That looks great!  (Meaning the sling  Wink)

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #28 - Jul 6th, 2021 at 12:26am

Seems like it was worth it. Very nice sling man.

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #29 - Jul 6th, 2021 at 10:57am

Thanks everyone! It still has to be sheathed in leather  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)