Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How do you do the right thing with release cord? (Read 2523 times)
Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

How do you do the right thing with release cord?
Jun 26th, 2021 at 7:23pm

How to prolong release cord life? He hasn’t lived with me for a long time, tears, even on synthetic straps, I must confess, all my shots come from the soul, as crazy, it must also affect, too sharp, powerful shots. You can make a quiet strap, you can do with the sound of a shot with a loose brush at the end, but I’m still interested in how to make my release cords not damaged the whole length? I understand it is necessary for release cord to be longer than retention cord by inches 15-20? But what is best for release and for durability, with sound cracker, or a quiet strap? I started doing this thing where I put the strap in half at the end and sew it together like the photo at the bottom
Roll Eyes

I have to confess I’ve been thinking about it all the time, whether it’s worth it, that I was so interested in it, I didn’t know it until Mr. Jaegoor mentioned it, thank him for it!

"Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.” ― Terry Pratchett

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Re: How do you do the right thing with release cord?
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2021 at 7:24pm

Interesting dialog  Shocked

Release.jpg (227 KB | 16 )
Release.jpg

"Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.” ― Terry Pratchett

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2021 at 7:49pm

I tried to do this, folded in half at the end and sewed release cord together so it was heavier and stronger
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2021 at 9:51pm

Leather covering the cord near the pouch, and a replaceable tab is how I get long lived release cords, even with rough stones and natural fiber.

John R.

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2021 at 5:18am

IronGoober wrote on Jun 26th, 2021 at 9:51pm:
Leather covering the cord near the pouch, and a replaceable tab is how I get long lived release cords, even with rough stones and natural fiber.

How do you replace it? Maybe you are where the tab weaves another fiber in a timely manner?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2021 at 6:21am

The best solution to reduce wear is to use less abrasive projectiles
but if you are like me and like to sling anything even broken asphalt,
than you just have to deal with the wear.
it's why I like slings that take minimal construction effort so I can easily replace it
In my experience a light pouch and light release cord definitely reduces friction because the projectiles fly with less noticeably less rpm especially heavy ones; Less friction means less wear. But, the light cord usually is also less durable so its a trade off.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2021 at 12:39pm

Yes, you are right, I constantly use abrasive shells, sometimes round in shape, fragments of reinforced concrete, bricks and asphalt, where I have few stones (I used up a lot in 14 months since I began to throw them) But 150 km from my city there is a place where rivers are made of stones , there are a huge number of them. What is close to me are fragments of concrete, sometimes their shape reaches the absurd, I take too large and thin, not caring about the sling at all

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2021 at 1:10pm

Scorpion Vin wrote on Jun 27th, 2021 at 5:18am:
How do you replace it? Maybe you are where the tab weaves another fiber in a timely manner?

I just replace the cord that is woven back and forth. I can make a quick video.

How do you usually terminate your release cord? Knot? Tab? long cord?

Because all of these you can replace quite easily...

John R.

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #8 - Jun 27th, 2021 at 6:20pm

I usually sew a piece of leather where the knot should be, and hold it with my fingers when I want to slinging. Make a video of how you replace the old damaged release cord thanks in advance!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 3:33pm

if the sling is made properly - the missile should never hit the release cord.

I do wear out release cords.
But in my case it's more down to the whipcrack effect.

I use three knots at the end of the relese cord. This allows me to vary my grip width and knots also give a really secure hold.

I've tried a bunch of jaegoors slings, including a long distance one that had a flat leather tab.
I found it really difficult, because it was a long sling with a decent rock - the stress on a flat tab means you have to grip it really tight.
Which messed up my release.

Jaegoor has farmers hands - more industrial power tools than human appendages.
Don't get into a grip contest with him lol whistle

So probably has no problem maintaining that kind of pressure.

He also had one with a toggle that went between your fingers and one with a bead on the end.   

The bead wasn't too bad but the toggle system just did not work well.

My slings are specifically designed so that the release cord gets out of the way before the missile leaves the pouch.
Something you can do with paracord that is difficult with the short, stiff braided slings.

But my cords wear out just below the bottom knot. It's NOT where I grip.
It's just where the cord whips at the end of it's travel.

I think when we did the slinging road trip - I wore out two cords in the two days.

It's another reason i make modular slings and always carry enough cord and a lighter to make another in a few minutes.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 4:31pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jul 1st, 2021 at 3:33pm:
the missile should never hit the release cord.

I have plenty of slow motion video evidence to the contrary. David's videos also show that contact will occur.

By the physics of the sling itself, the projectile will  always come into contact with the first few inches of release cord. Even if just to a very minor degree, some contact is inevitable until the cord unwinds itself enough to get out of the way. Even with paracord slings this happens. The only exception is maybe the Y-sling, where the release cord isn't in line with the projectile. The reason you don't notice with paracord is that it is abrasion resistant and so light that the projectiles don't cause much wear when they do contact.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2021 at 8:52pm by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 6:01pm

the missile should never hit the release cord

How can I make sling where there will be no such contact with the projectile, or it will be minimal?

IronGoober wrote on Jul 1st, 2021 at 4:31pm:
The only exception is maybe the Y-sling, where the release cord isn't in line with the projectile

How to make Y - type Sling quickly and easily? Never did it, should the two cords be finger loop side or on release cord side?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #12 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 6:37pm

Scorpion Vin wrote on Jul 1st, 2021 at 6:01pm:
How to make Y - type Sling quickly and easily? Never did it, should the two cords be finger loop side or on release cord side?

You want there to be 2 release cords so the projectile can go between them when it's released.

There's quite a few different ways to do this.  This is one of my first attempts with one (so I'm pretty bad with it) but it will give you the idea: https://youtu.be/_whf3AV3850

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Jul 2nd, 2021 at 8:03am

the missile should never hit the release cord.

I have plenty of slow motion video evidence to the contrary. David's videos also show that contact will occur.

By the physics of the sling itself, the projectile will  always come into contact with the first few inches of release cord. Even if just to a very minor degree, some contact is inevitable until the cord unwinds itself enough to get out of the way. Even with paracord slings this happens. The only exception is maybe the Y-sling, where the release cord isn't in line with the projectile. The reason you don't notice with paracord is that it is abrasion resistant and so light that the projectiles don't cause much wear when they do contact.

I agree
but here semantics play a role
where does the pouch end and where does the release cord begin
if you make your pouch long, then it will never touch the release cord  Roll Eyes but then this extra long part of the pouch simply became part of the release cord.
the reality is; one halve of the pouch and release cord are part of each other
and one halve of the pouch and retention cord are part of each other

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2021 at 8:13am

Scorpion Vin wrote on Jul 1st, 2021 at 6:01pm:
the missile should never hit the release cord

How can I make sling where there will be no such contact with the projectile, or it will be minimal?

The only exception is maybe the Y-sling, where the release cord isn't in line with the projectile

think a split pouch with a long split
one halve of the split is solid
the projectile flies through the other halve of the split on release

y_sling.png (174 KB | 28 )
y_sling.png

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris)