« Created by: AncientCraftwork on: Jun 15th, 2021 at 12:02pm »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How do you release (Read 1879 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

How do you release
Jun 15th, 2021 at 12:02pm

After studying many sling videos in slowmotion and the individual releases of different slingers, I've come to the conclusion there are basically 2 forms of release. An inline release, like a conventional trebuchet sling release, and a spiral release.

The spiral release is achieved by having the cords side by side upon release, useful for biconicals, to achieve a clean spiral spin on the projectile

The inline release is achieved by having the cords in front of each other upon release, useful for spheres, to achieve a topspin, backspin or sidespin on the projectile, depending on the style

To me it feels like an inline release feels easier for short distance, and a spiral release is better for long distance. But that's just what I think. A lot of slingers seem to use a hybrid of inline and spiral release, with the release cord not exactly infront but also not exactly above the retaining cord upon release, a compromise of sort. How do you release?

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: How do you release
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 4:16pm

Based on the descriptions, I believe my release is spiral.  When I release, the cords are at the same point in the rotation of the throw.  The release cord is on top.

This video shows it well.  Especially the angle when I'm throwing toward the camera.

https://youtu.be/Nbg4B0bFAMA

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 4:59pm

When I throw sidearm, I'm striving to throw a bullet spiral, but usually disappoint myself with an off-center sort-of spiral. I was curious to see how my underhand release was, so I threw a roma tomato into the woods.  I expected it to roll out like a bowling ball, but much to my surprise, it was a perfect bullet spiral.  Probably a fluke, because I'm sure that if I tried to do it on purpose, it would tumble through the air like Skylab.  Oh... showed my age there, didn't I?

Tomorrow I'll chuck some old mushy potatoes (they're elongated and reusable) to see what I'm really doing and let you know.

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 5:10pm

Oh... to clarify, I mainly throw spheres, tennis balls and ice balls, so I can't see the spin.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 7:58am

I color one half of my rubber baseballs black, it allows me to observe the spin quite well. But on tennisballs also I can see the ball spinning if I don't throw super fast. But you can also just judge the spin direction by the way the ball curves. When I release inline I can see a sidespin on sidearm quite well, the effect is also there.
I feel stupid I never really understood the ability to sling inline and always thought that spiral release was the only valid release
but now I've discovered that an inline release is quite viable for short distance, as it seems to be very similar
to a Y-sling release but simply with more spin. I like the inline release for short distance as it feels like
releasing a bola (but with slightly more release delay)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 8:13am

it depends on whther it's a vertical release or a more side on release. 

Not something I nwould deliberately try and do.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 11:31am

I think there needs to be videos dedicated to showing the different releases, it’s hard to visualize based on a description alone. I guessed spiral because I do a wrist twist upon release. That might be interesting to analyze.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 12:16pm

I will post a slowmotion clip in a few moments of what I'd call an inline release of mine, downloading a better video editor atm

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 1:19pm

@hirtius here is an example

https://youtu.be/-i4Byu4MCeY

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 2:32pm

Wow, J, that was a quick publication!

That's the way I interpreted the in-line: cord, ball, cord, all in a straight line at release.  That's how my spin went before I switched from a pinch-grip to a one finger separation.

4 potatoes later, I determined that I do in fact spiral when I release with my palm facing forward.  I'm just a bit sloppy with it.

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 2:56pm

J - I see what you mean by the rotational oscillations.  I've been using thin, flexible cords and didn't notice the twisting.  I just did it again with a stiffer cord sling, and the spiral is much straighter.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 3:20pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 16th, 2021 at 1:19pm:

Then I guess my release is inline? We gotta categorize this stuff better.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 3:34pm

Hirtius wrote on Jun 16th, 2021 at 3:20pm:
AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 16th, 2021 at 1:19pm:

Then I guess my release is inline? We gotta categorize this stuff better.

Well, to be fair we kind of do. These are just new words made up for concepts that have been talked about for ages. Palm or wrist position is another way to describe aspects of this. Cord position etc.

Good stuff J. Hey man what chance do we have of seeing the accuracy level of this throw? Really cant wait to see it in action.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 3:42pm

I like palm vs wrist position, that’s pretty simple. Is inline the same as palm?

Anyways, I’ve done both positions, and just recently switched back to this release after forgetting about it for a while. Of all the stuff we talk about with slinging, this is probably one of the most consequential aspects in pertaining to accuracy, in my opinion. I felt a very clear difference from one to the other. I assumed there wasn’t an established terminology since I hadn’t seen discussions on it before, which is a shame. We really should think about this more.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #14 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 4:44pm

If your palm is facing forward (somewhat pronated, thumb up), you tend to get a rifled release.

If you release palm up (supinated), you will get what J refers to as an "inline" release. Really this just means that the projectile is spinning like a top. With my grip (right handed, somewhat wide), the pouch is usually in front of the projectile on release, causing a (looking from the top to the ground) counterclockwise spin.  This will cause the projectile to curve out-to-in. See the this throw (and many others in this video) https://youtu.be/EvfubWzk0vo?t=397

You can also get the same "inline" release but opposite spin as J shows in his video by pronating your palm very hard or changing your grip as he does. This causes the pouch to be behind the projectile causing a clockwise spin. The projectile will then curve in-to-out.

Luis does a good job of demonstrating a few releases and the different trajectories you can obtain in one of his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N-ACnKZN5c&t=127s

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris)