Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What topics would you like us to cover next? (Read 3172 times)
ThePowersNation
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Colorado, USA
Re: What topics would you like us to cover next?
Reply #15 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 1:56pm

I love the history aspect, so any topics that go into that more would be something I would love.

I think the role of slingers in Xenophon's Anabasis, and how that story can encapsulate the way slingers were used for their range throughout history would be awesome. Or maybe just an examination of the Rhodian slingers as a whole.

These aren't the posts you're looking for.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #16 - Jul 3rd, 2021 at 3:01am

That's a culture I don't know much about at all so that would be really interesting to look at. It's going on the list Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 27th, 2021 at 9:55pm

Incan slingers

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #18 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 5:34am

Quote:
Incan slingers

Good suggestion. I was thinking of maybe doing generally South America and that way we could include Peruvian slings as well. That being said, this is before any research so maybe both together would be too much for a single episode.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #19 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 5:35am

Stickied this topic because it's probably good if it's easy to find.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #20 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 2:57pm

Two things.

First, a closer look at the Balearic slingers and their history (especially after the Roman empire), both general information about how they used the sling on their hometurf, why they were sought after mercenaries and if any weird little differences existed between the slingers of different islands. Anything really.
I know for a fact that Rome got their slingers from Majorca and Carthage from Menorca. The Majorcan slingers made split pouch slings and the Menorcan ones had straps of leather between the two strands (at least when in Carthaginian service). Had someone tell me that slinging was never prevalent on Ibiza (the term 'Gymnesian slingers' would be more accurate  Tongue) and that slinging had died out by modern times all over the Balearic (less sure about that one).

Second, more far fetched, but if you are going to bring up the Balearic islands again and again and again (might happen) you could after a couple dozen episodes make a special simply talking about every aspect of the Balearic islands, like its history, modern culture, interesting sightseeing points and slinging ranges . That might lure a couple of people to visit the island during the yearly slinging event and it has more than enough interesting sights to already be of note for tourists.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, NooneOfConsequence, Kick, Morphy)