Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Slinging Big Stones - Distance Slinging Part 1 & 2! (Read 2465 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Slinging Big Stones - Distance Slinging Part 1 & 2!
Jun 13th, 2021 at 7:04pm

The distance videos are taking a long time to cut together, but here's Part 1!  The video was running long and I decided to break it up.  Hopefully I'll have Part 2 ready in a week or so.

Once I get everything done and available to view, specifically a spreadsheet with all the results I collected, it shows a pretty interesting picture coming together.

https://youtu.be/_FYWC4Fe1Mk

*Update* - Part 2 is complete and posted: https://youtu.be/iN4tm7JcZu4
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2021 at 6:28pm by joe_meadmaker »  

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Slinging Big Stones - Distance Slinging Part 1
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 12:40pm

Great video, those are some huge stones!

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 12:02am

Doing a spinning hammer throw/discus spin before launch helps me with distance on uncomfortably big stone lobbing.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 1:23am

It's interesting to see how your technique seems to improve a lot over the course of the video. You get even more distance with heavier stones at the end. It would be a cool follow up just to hear how far you can throw the 1 lb stones after having perfected your technique.

John R.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 6:31am

I think, 500 grams, 100 meters is attainable

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 4:10pm

@David Morningstar - The big ones are yet to come.  Smiley

@slingostarr - 100% agree.  A hammer throw or pirouette could be used to get more power.  Probably less wear and tear on the body too.  I just don't have any consistency with direction when using a full body turn.  One of these days I'm going to dedicate several weeks to working on this kind of style, just haven't had the time yet.

@IronGoober - That is part of the idea behind it.  I was planning to go through all of my testing and then do a short revisit on each stone.  Unfortunately I tweaked my back a little bit.  Nothing too bad.  I'm getting around fine and can still sling normal stuff.  I've just been doing some specific exercises to help things out and want to give myself a break before trying to throw giant stones again.  I'll definitely get back to it though.  It's too much fun.  Cheesy

@J - I agree.  I think 100m with a 500g stone is definitely possible.  And depending on the slinger, I think that distance might be easier to attain with a heavier stone.  There will be more on that as soon as I get my second distance slinging video posted.  Editing is almost halfway done so I think next weekend is definitely a possibility.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 8:32am

my first thought was.
why not throw all the stones in one go working up the weights.

Then for measuring you just walk out to the furthest and measuer all the others on the way back.
With a carry bag to put the rocks in once measured.

But I'm either lazy or efficient - depensing on your point of view - and like to make things less effort as a matter of course lol

The other thing was: cigar fest ? really, lol

I'll watch the rest later Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 12:39pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jun 16th, 2021 at 8:32am:
why not throw all the stones in one go working up the weights.

Two reasons.  I wanted to be able to see the layout of all the final positions, as I marked with the arrows.  This wouldn't have made much sense if there was a mix of different stone weights.  And the second reason was about getting used to a stone so I could get a fairly decent average of the distance.  The first time I tried recording, I was doing it as you suggested.  Not all of them, but I threw a few stones and then gathered them up.  This didn't help at all for getting into a groove.  There were small adjustments to the form, especially with the heavier weights.  It was difficult to maintain consistency when jumping between them.  I would love to have had multiple stones for each weight, but that wasn't an option.

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jun 16th, 2021 at 8:32am:
cigar fest ?

And totally!  I go every year.  Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Slinging Big Stones - Distance Slinging Part 1 & 2!
Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2021 at 6:31pm

Part 2 is ready to go: https://youtu.be/iN4tm7JcZu4

It's linked in the Description of the video, but I'll put it here too.  Here's the spreadsheet with the measurements of all my throws: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FWV9c5y8HIF-mi67w21Pt60YM6czjEp2ETQ40tHr...

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Jun 22nd, 2021 at 6:50am

Great work Joe! I also noticed that its virtually impossible to pull into the powerstroke with really large ammo. You just getting it going fast in the wind up and then try and guide it through the piwerstroke.

I was surprised that the longest sling didnt give the best distance in this case. Did you try the really long two handed sling with one hand? Im forgetting if you did and I just watched it. But either way, I wouldve guess the longest sling gave the best distance. Obviously it would seem if we scale up the stone and the sling but not the human, just upping sling length cant overcome that.

The hit was also great. I heard some kids or something in the background. Any chance they could hold shields for part 3? Just curious!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Jun 22nd, 2021 at 10:11am

Morphy wrote on Jun 22nd, 2021 at 6:50am:
Did you try the really long two handed sling with one hand?

I did, but those throws were not in the video.  They are on the spreadsheet and labeled as one-handed.  Just for the 1400g stone though.  The distance one-handed with the 52" sling was longer than the average (with two hands), but shorter than the farthest two-handed throw.  I only threw one-handed twice, so the sample size is extremely small.  Not nearly enough to get anything conclusive.

I hate to say it, but with all the hours I put into this, I ended up with way more questions than I had at the beginning.

Here's my biggest question.  Does the maximum distance a person can throw with sling have two peaks?  Let me explain, and sorry if this gets confusing.  The stone I was able to sling the farthest was 765g.  The stones before and after it were 566g and 991g respectively.  Now let's say for argument sake that the stone weight I can throw the farthest of all is 150g.  (I feel safe using a 150g stone as a hypothetical longest distance weight because my farthest throw with the 765g was around 55m, and I know I can throw a 150g stone farther than that.  And that's all that matters for this comparison.).

So if we had a graph showing the average distance I can sling every stone in 5g intervals, my highest peak would be at 150g (because that's the hypothetical longest distance I've got).  After that the distance would start to drop down, and then there would be another peak at 765g.  Why?  Logically I would think the drop in distance would follow a pretty smooth curve.  But is there a point where the strength to throw a (large) stone along with the stone's weight reach a peak efficiency?  And if that's true, where is the point of least efficiency between 150g and 765g?

Sorry to dump that here, but it has me extremely curious.  Definitely a topic for the Math section.

I heard some kids or something in the background. Any chance they could hold shields for part 3? Just curious!

We'll see.  Wink

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #11 - Jun 22nd, 2021 at 10:52am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jun 22nd, 2021 at 10:11am:
Did you try the really long two handed sling with one hand?

I did, but those throws were not in the video.  They are on the spreadsheet and labeled as one-handed.  Just for the 1400g stone though.  The distance one-handed with the 52" sling was longer than the average (with two hands), but shorter than the farthest two-handed throw.  I only threw one-handed twice, so the sample size is extremely small.  Not nearly enough to get anything conclusive.

I hate to say it, but with all the hours I put into this, I ended up with way more questions than I had at the beginning.

Here's my biggest question.  Does the maximum distance a person can throw with sling have two peaks?  Let me explain, and sorry if this gets confusing.  The stone I was able to sling the farthest was 765g.  The stones before and after it were 566g and 991g respectively.  Now let's say for argument sake that the stone weight I can throw the farthest of all is 150g.  (I feel safe using a 150g stone as a hypothetical longest distance weight because my farthest throw with the 765g was around 55m, and I know I can throw a 150g stone farther than that.  And that's all that matters for this comparison.).

So if we had a graph showing the average distance I can sling every stone in 5g intervals, my highest peak would be at 150g (because that's the hypothetical longest distance I've got).  After that the distance would start to drop down, and then there would be another peak at 765g.  Why?  Logically I would think the drop in distance would follow a pretty smooth curve.  But is there a point where the strength to throw a (large) stone along with the stone's weight reach a peak efficiency?  And if that's true, where is the point of least efficiency between 150g and 765g?

Sorry to dump that here, but it has me extremely curious.  Definitely a topic for the Math section.

I heard some kids or something in the background. Any chance they could hold shields for part 3? Just curious!

We'll see.  Wink

Bigger stones are more aerodynamically favourable, might have some impact? For example if your technique gets the same speed out of a heavier stone it will go further.

It wouldn't actually surprise me if it wasn't a straightforward relation like that- I find when I sling with heavier rocks my technique changes. Different techniques- different optimal weights... perhaps. Much like the energy efficiency of human locomotion passes through walking and running phases, each with their own maxima.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2021 at 12:16pm

JudoP wrote on Jun 22nd, 2021 at 10:52am:
Bigger stones are more aerodynamically favourable, might have some impact? For example if your technique gets the same speed out of a heavier stone it will go further.

Exactly!  So how my most efficient weight was around the 765g mark, this would be a bit different for everyone.  Where ever the point is that the speed isn't attainable anymore.

JudoP wrote on Jun 22nd, 2021 at 10:52am:
Much like the energy efficiency of human locomotion passes through walking and running phases, each with their own maxima.

I like this analogy.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2021 at 12:52pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jun 22nd, 2021 at 10:11am:
I ended up with way more questions than I had at the beginning.

This is the mark of true science being conducted Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Jun 22nd, 2021 at 4:20pm

I would try a shorter sling, max length extended arm to your other elbow. I find when I exceed this length it doesn't help much

and pirouette

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy)