Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Aquaskipper (Read 1677 times)
Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

My Aquaskipper
Jun 13th, 2021 at 9:28am

About a decade or more ago a new fad emerged: the human powered hydrofoil, the aquaskipper.

Basically it is a device that allows a human to skim over bodies of water, powered by nothing but their own body.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfjDqiyEMOE

And being a wee boy back then I was absolutely thrilled at the very prospect of such a thing. I wanted one! No matter the price. Unfortunately the price was too much after all and the aquaskipper itself was difficult to come by, having to be ordered over the internet. Not a great combo for a boy without money who didn't know how the postal service worked.

However, last summer I had the chance of buying what is probably the only aquaskipper that exists in a very, very wide radius of kilometers around me. Finally my dream had come true! But as it turned out, not all was well yet. The assembly set had been used by someone before me and was missing a single, simple part. I had that one custom made by a metal worker, easy enough. And now it was finally time to live out my boyhood dream of aquaskipping. I took it down to a lonely freshwater harbour and launched from the quay. And fell backwards into the cool water. I swam to the skipper, dragged it back to the quay and tried again. And again. And again, never managing to skip much more than a meter.

Suddenly I realized that one reason I couldn't skip was because a little piece of plastic (a foil tip) had fallen off the end of one hydrofoils. And it was gone in the murky water.

And that was basically the end of my aquaskipping adventures so far. I have tried getting a replacement foil but few online stores still have them stocked and one I contacted was reluctant to sell. Another thing I did was trying to shape a piece of plastic into a new foil using acetone. Didn't work well the first time but I gotta give it another try.

Clearly, this is a very niche problem but does anyone here know of aquaskipper stores or have a fix idea for an easy solution?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2021 at 3:51am by Slyngorm »  

aqua-skipper-3.jpg (88 KB | 18 )
aqua-skipper-3.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: My Aquaskipper
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 9:17am

That looks awesome.  Maybe if you send him the dimensions c_a can manufacture you the part you need.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 6:59pm

You could also try getting some polycaprolactone and forming it around some foam to make your part. Or make a fiberglass part by forming it around some foam.  Or cast some plaster into some foam.

Did I mention that you should get some foam to shape the part?

John R.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 6:12am

Being on Lake Erie, waterbikes are a big thing here. Basically bike frames on pontoons. Pedaling moves a paddlewheel, making you move.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 12:34pm

Depending on how difficult I would probably make my own. Fiberglass cloth dipped in epoxy and wrapped around the shape of choice.

That is very cool man. I hope you can get it working! Dont give up on the dream! Ive always wanted to try kiteboarding but im sure I would probably end up hurting myself lol. Looks so fun though.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 8:05am

Thanks for all the interest guys!
I have, after some weeks of missed calls and reluctant sellers, found a company that has been willing to let me buy the part I needed for the most extravagant price you can imagine for a little piece of plastic. I figured that I REALLY want to be sure to live out my boyhood dream so I just had to do it. Otherwise I could end up spending the whole summer trying to make a plastic cast, which would be even more expensive (figuratively, or maybe even literally) and might not have the appropriate aquadynamic properties.

The transaction is still being proceeded but hopefully I can be aquaskipping within a couple of weeks.

I will (!!!!) however make a cast of both my foil tips when I  get them. I don't want to be in the midst of another foil tip shortage.

Fun fact: there are just about 2 companies in existence available to english/german speakers that sell aquaskipper spareparts but while their websites are still running the owners are both working on other companies now, so you have to contact them through alternative email addresses as opposed to what they write on their aquaskipper websites and they are mostly reluctant to sell any spareparts to anyone.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2021 at 5:36pm

Recorded a video of my aquaskipping skills.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/eOnU7BFyXCSM/
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2021 at 7:45am by Slyngorm »  

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2021 at 8:25am

Very cool... and great exercise too!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2021 at 8:34am

That's brilliant !
Never heard of those before.

Looks like fun and one serious workout !

I do remember when the concept of tilting hrdrofoils was discovered.
There was a chap who was building wave powered boats.

Never could understand why it never really caught on.

And yep, looking at the machine i could make those parts fairly easily.

Just need exact dimensions and pictures and I can create some stls (stereolithigraphic files) for you that you could take to a local makerspace and get some 3d printed.

Petg would be the ideal material.
Salt water resistant, and pretty tough.

Not much I can't reverse engineer these days Smiley

These days, making your own plastic parts or getting someone with a 3d printer to make them, is usually the best option.
The sheer range of materials we can use is simply staggering.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Aug 15th, 2021 at 8:52am

Im always so amazed at the things people come up with. This looks like a lot of fun. Also, rereading this thread Im also amazed that companies that sell obscure parts for which there cant possibly be a huge demand are reluctant to actually sell said parts the one time a buyer actually comes around lol.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 2:35pm

Rat Man wrote on Aug 15th, 2021 at 8:25am:
Very cool... and great exercise too!

It is very exhausting. No joke.

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 15th, 2021 at 8:34am:
Never could understand why it never really caught on.

It is probably a combination of:
  1. Steep learning curve
  2. Environmental needs for use

It is quite difficult learning to use. One needs to learn 3 things: taking off (ie. you need a good kick forward), how to tramp and keeping your balance.  Taught it to two of my friends, both perfectly healthy and fit young men. The first one spent 2 hours simply being able to get a certain distance straight forward. The other good adept at it after an hour. At that time both were completely exhausted.
So if you rent one for a vacation one needs first spending a day learning how to use it and only then you can actually have fun with it. That has probably scared off a good deal of people.

The second reason is that you need a fairly specific place to launch it from. That is, one needs some terrestrial ground to stand on and kick off from to start the aquaskipper. Have seen videos of people running from the beach but it is most easy to jump from a pier. And if you fall into the water, well then you have to swim the skipper back to some place where you can pull back up on the pier. 

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 15th, 2021 at 8:34am:
That's brilliant !
Never heard of those before.

Looks like fun and one serious workout !

I do remember when the concept of tilting hrdrofoils was discovered.
There was a chap who was building wave powered boats.

I was amazed to recently find out that the aquaskipper was a copy of an existing (and EVEN more obscure) invention from 1998 called the trampofoil (http://human-powered-hydrofoils.com/hydrofoils/trampofoil/) (aquaskipper was invented in 2003) with the only real differences being the entire front of the trampofoil consisting of a spring (this is just a little part on the aquaskipper) and the prize.  Then a year later another copy was invented, the pumpabike which uses a metal spring http://human-powered-hydrofoils.com/hydrofoils/pumpabike/.

And now the company originally designing the aquaskipper has made a new and improved version no less https://store.inventist.com/products/aquaskipper

And allow me to rant a bit more.
There is another kind of hydrofoil which is basically just a bike https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLboyOqi6R8.
And this thing, which is basically just a surfboard with a hydrofoil https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BECaeJhP7Lc&list=PLRVUTcvx7LpEcw1GDORuGq34fgWCxt...

The problem with all of these is that they can't be launched from the water.

The only hydrofoils that can are like the waterbike but with pontons http://human-powered-hydrofoils.com/hydrofoils/pogofoil-parker-mccready/ or a kayak with hydrofoils https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQRtgEIs--k&t=62s.
I don't understand why the hydrofoil, ponton bike has not broken through. Seems very accessible a fair competition to small boats.

Morphy wrote on Aug 15th, 2021 at 8:52am:
Im always so amazed at the things people come up with. This looks like a lot of fun. Also, rereading this thread Im also amazed that companies that sell obscure parts for which there cant possibly be a huge demand are reluctant to actually sell said parts the one time a buyer actually comes around lol.

Well... you can buy the NEW and IMPROVED aquaskipper morphy...
But yeah. It is weird the company was like that. Why not just take down their webpage if not they are not selling?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 3:55pm

the new aquaskipper looks like it's got a lot more surface area on the rear foils, so won't sink quite as fast when you slow down or have a heart attack Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #12 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 8:59pm

different levels of insanity for different days of the week !

It is obviously Tuesday     Smiley Smiley

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Aug 18th, 2021 at 6:22am

@Slyngorm- Oh so thats their game. Gotcha. So the rare part is the bait and switch.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)