Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Spheres or biconicals (Read 585 times)
czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Spheres or biconicals
Jun 13th, 2021 at 9:32am

That is interesting, once I harvest some clay I might give this a test and see for myself.

But still, both are going to be much more accurate than my usual bad stones I use. I already did some testing clay glandes vs stones from which the consistant glandes not only hit the target much more frequently but also had much tighter grouping almost hitting the same spot on target over and over from 10m meanwhile the stones struggle to even stay on target let alone hitting the part of the target I was aiming for.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 10:21am

Bad stones don't benefit greatly from a lot of spin, but they can still fly quite straight when released with a spiral spin. But when I release bad stones with any spin other than a spiral spin, it's a disaster on my sling
and on the trajectory of the stone (weird curves, nose dives, a lot of buzzing). I do think that widenign the grip helps with bad stones because it opens the sling up a little and reduces the spin  a little but its a compromise of many things, but bad stones are by default compromising

On really bad stones, along the lines of sharp, pieces of broken bricks, we come into territory that I would start recommending an Y-sling

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 12:48pm

Yes, wider grip works bit better on the release, but because of their wierd shape they tend to fall out especially with shorter slings, hence why I use tight grip with shorter slings with any ammo I find/make/buy.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 12:51pm

I've collected another batch of clay to process. Most of the clay here is unsuited for direct usage.
I fill the bucket with clay & add water and smush it with my hands and stir it with a stick until it is all dissolved and the water's become a thick sludge. I only let it rest for about 30 minutes and then pour it off into another bucket & then let the water evaporate over a longer period, and I get clay that's good enough for sling projectiles, which then get deposited back into the lake I get it from

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 3:35pm

A little further explanation. So when I use clay balls/tennisballs, I find my accuracy at ~20 meters much better if I release them inline with the release cord than if I release them with a widegrip/spiral spin (granted the cords are not twisted and the spin is still consistent.)
I can see the spin on the tennisballs and their spin is inline with the sling (so perfect sidearm = perfect sidespin.) The spherical projectile rolls out of the sling just like it would roll out of an Y-sling, namely inline with the release cord, but simply with more spin due to more contact.

But when I throw it with a wide grip or cords side by side to spiral the tennisball like a bullet, she flies out in a direction tangential of my rotational arc. The release point feels a little less instinctive and harder to 'gauge' right, like when the ball rolls out of the sling, she fights it. Of course this 'fighting' results in the sought after spiral spin.
I guess all I am observing is, that both type of releases (inline and spiral) have their uses, but the inline release should be reserved for spherical projectiles and this might be a beneficial for short distance accuracy.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Spheres or biconicals
Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 3:44am

I made a big error in my statement, all slings projectiles fly out tangentially from the rotational arc, I misunderstood myself
still, there is the inline release and the spiral release and that's what I was getting at

damn it, accidentally deleted the opening post, now I made a real mess again

here is what I started this thread out with

Quote:
''Which projectile do you prefer, round ball like projectiles or more oval projectiles up to pointed biconicals?

I've been doing a lot of testing with both and notice that my accuracy with the sphericals at short distances, up to a 30 meters, is a lot better than with biconicals. But the way I hold and sling spheres is different from biconicals. I release
them with the release cord in front of the retention cord using a tight grip and this gives a backspin, sidespin or underspin depending on the style, so there is an effect. Ovoids or biconicals on the other hand, I release point first by having the cords side by side upon release, so that the point is facing forward. If I sling biconicals like I sling balls (release cord in front of retention upon release) than sometimes they still fly point forward, but most of the time their yaw angles are off.

Why is my accuracy at short distances with balls better? It feels like the spheres are the most forgiving in terms of release, because they can roll in all directions. The more cilindrical the projectile becomes however, directional rolling bias is introduced. I still want to do some distance testing with backspin on spheres. But in terms of range, a well spiralled biconical (or teardrop) flies furthest, in my experience so far, and they definitely fly straightest with the best ballistic curvature. But their release seems a little harder to be accurate with, because a tangent is introduced''

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 8:12am

spherical is for short to medium range and biconicals are best for longer ranges.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 8:13am

I agree CA. I apologize for messing up this thread by the way. Had hoped it would bite the dust but now it's revived

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris)